Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions etc...concerning the Org forums, post them here

Senior Member Senior Member Sir Kuma of The Org's Avatar

Read the topic about the rules before posting Thanks.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Simply a test to see if posting works, per Sir Kuma's request.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I posted this before but we really could do with having STW and MTW modding forums seperate.
    I am sure some people are finding it a bit of a problem finding posts relating to the version they want to mod etc...

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

I think we need some new forums, instead of having clan recruitment etc but I think we should have Clan Discussion and a forum where clans and people post for recruitment and one where clans discuss things, two seperate ones then.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa DrNo san,

STW and MTW share quite some bits: knowledge for modding STW will prove useful for MTW as well.

Just recall RSW's BifReader which can also be used with MTW.

At times, people post something about another game that will push forward the modgroup or just some general info.

It may be good to state what's modded: STW or MTW.

The edit forum shouldn't be split.

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.net
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I think it would be nice to add a counte, which would count the number of active guests, users, and mods.

------------------
    *bows* - Power to the Sultan!
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Suggestion:

Make "two" orgs. One that have samurai based graphics, and one with European Medieval graphic. So when you log on, you can choose between the two. All the contents should be the same, but main graphic and icons (do not know if this is possible, but it is said among mods and admins that they have the true power, then prove it

------------------

Clan Seljuk

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

I don't think that would be possible...

------------------
    Fëa-Quendi
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

Perhaps if you just made two "skins" available for the site, same content just different colour scheme\style...

As for the icons, maybe we should have a medieval set (peasant, archer, knight etc...) and a shogun set (ronin, samurai etc...) for those who want to keep their current icons

The prolem with that Phantom is that there can only be one set of icons used. When you reach X amount of posts you get a new icon. The only exceptions are if admin have given you your own icon... or if you are an admin or moderator yourself.

------------------
    Fëa-Quendi

[This message has been edited by Ithaskar Fëarindel (edited 08-28-2002).]
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Phantom that was exactly what I meant!

Oh well.. the heck with the icons, as long you can choose between two skins for the Org, a shogun theme, and medieval theme!

------------------

Clan Seljuk

I think what is more likely to happen is that there will be a compromise between MI/STW/MTW - perhaps with a slight bit more emphasis on MTW. That way all can be comfortable.

------------------
    Fëa-Quendi
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Lightbulb

G'day

Whilst reading the Forum Rules I decided to propose a revised rules list to be posted as a locked sticky forum topic (not a seperate web page) so that it is more easilly updatable in future.

I also took the liberty of cleaning up (removing what I percieve as waffle) certain aspects of the existing rules and adding several new rules which I believe better represent the forums in their current format. Please feel free to comment, discuss, criticise, ignore or implement this format if you choose.

==============================================

Welcome to The Guild,

These forums are primarily to facilitate open discussion of the Total War games, created by the Creative Assembly, in a manner that respects other members' right to have alternate opinions or perceptions on all aspects encompassing the mechanics, strategies, tactics, units and all other facets of the Total War games. We are advocates for free speech as long as members are respectful of others who differ in perspective, to this end we have the following rules:

Legally Orientated:

1. Posts containing addresses of warez sites or anything piracy-related are forbidden; anything pertaining to software piracy is highly discouraged and this information will be edited from all posts upon discovery by a forum moderator/administrator. Note: this includes “hacks” designed to enable the playing of any of the Total War games to run without a CD.

2. Posts asking for any of the Total War game CD key codes are forbidden; people who have legitimately lost their CD key need to contact the distributor of their Total War game. Relevant information (CD keys) will be edited from all posts and the thread locked upon discovery by a forum moderator/administrator.

Etiquette

a. Posts containing any reference on how to cheat in Multiplayer games are forbidden; either providing or requesting information or links is forbidden. Posts containing such information will have the references removed and be locked upon discovery by a forum moderator/administrator.

b. Posts accusing others of cheating in the multiplayer game are forbidden; as conclusive evidence of cheating in the multiplayer game is impossible to obtain, threads containing such accusations will have the names removed and be locked upon discovery by a forum moderator/administrator Note: these forums will not be the battleground for "flame wars".

c. Posts or signatures containing "spam", such as advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes or solicitations et cetera are forbidden; Recommending a game is acceptable providing you are not trying to sell it. User accounts created exclusively for the purpose of posting inconsequential advertisements will be unceremoniously banned.

d. Posts containing objectionable material are forbidden; knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually explicit, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Remembering that this is an international forum members need to be mindful that people in other places might not interpret your words as you might expect them to, the offending text will be removed upon discovery by a forum moderator/administrator.

e. Posts in inappropriate forums are strongly discouraged; In order to more easily locate related threads The Guild have activated numerous boards with different topics. In the event a member creates a post on an inappropriate board the moderators/administrators reserve the right to move the thread to the correct forum.

Repetitive Rule Breaches

In that the event that a member chooses to continue their inappropriate behaviour the administrators reserve the right to take the following action:

If the member is currently restricted to the Entrance Hall the administrators may delete the users account at their discretion.

If the member currently has full access to all forums the administrators reserve the right to modify the users account so that they have restricted access to the Entrance Hall only.

Password Security

The Guild administrators have implemented encrypted cookies and the internal encryption of member passwords in a password protected MySQL database, which whilst a deterant to unauthorised use of the members' password it can in no way guarantee that unscroupulous people cannot access them. In this instance we administrators would highly recommend that members follow the policy of having unique passwords for every internet forum account so that in the event somebody does obtain one of your passwords all of your forum accounts are not compromised.

===============================================

Legal disclaimers would still need to be added to the bottom.

Arcane

This is my signature!

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

I was very surprised to learn about this:

http://pub42.ezboard.com/ftotalw....5.topic

There is no reference in the rules about this marking of people. Perhaps the rules should be expanded to include it?

Konnichiwa,

The staff was discussing whether the forumrules should be changed when we shifted from UBB to this board. It wasn't exactely decided that this should not be done, more that the excisting ones were 'good/clear enough'. We may look at it again.

Thanks for the input Arcane. The rules are in 1 html page right now, it's posible to insert them into the help section (1st of three buttons in the top right corner of every page), and have the link point to that. That would be easy to update and accessible from anywhere.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

What happened to the, for want of a better term, the location identifer?

You know, under the Avatar,

Group:

It helps a great deal to have some idea where a person is from. Especially, in some of the topics that arise in the Tavern. Also, in the other forums as well. Its helpful to know if English is not a person's primary language.

Was there some discussion about this that I missed? Can this please be corrected?
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

It would be good to know where people are from again...but of course when we do know where people are from we all start stereotyping them...

Bring Back Buck

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Its annoying as H

Just read a post by Swoosh So, who I guess is home from school and doesn't have internet access at home. He was wondering if he should go to a internet cafe to d/l the patch.

At first, I start thinking, gosh the guy doesn't have, at least, AOL or something, and then I faintly recall that he lives outside the US and probably in an Asian country. His post makes much more sense now.

Read another by Apeboy, who is STILL complaing about rebellions While his English was pretty good, it took a couple of reads to discern the post. Thought maybe he'd be better forgetting about the rebellions and work on the writing skills. Then it hits me, that his primary language must not be English.

As an American, I find it impressive that so many are able to communicate so well in a non-primary language and marvel at the power of the internet which brings so many diverse people together in a rather intimate way.

Yes, some might fall to stereotyping, but I haven't noticed it to be a problem in the Dojo or the Guild.

Please bring back "Location", thanks
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Konnichiwa,

Show 'location' is not positioned under the avatar with this software. Check the profile information for that, there's an icon in the bottomleft corner of each post.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Can we have clan icons or perhaps small symbols? at least for the longstanding clans?

Swooooooooooooooshooooooooooooowl

Someone mentioned this on the boards the other day i just thought it was a good idea

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

UBB had 1 file where you could use normal html code for a given member to customize his/her avatar, titles, color, extra pics.

This board requires a different approach. The badge system had to be made. That was something that required an edit in more than 1 file. It's probably possible to add a 3th placeholder, but I'm not sure how to position it (in the code). I'll give it a try. Please realize that it may take some time, and that this is not a promiss that it will be implemented.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Ok thanks, it should be handy not all usernames in the forum depict the clan they are part of

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Figured out how to add it: it's technically possible. It's an expansion of the badge system. It can be placed below ones avatar (individually). Not sure whether we should do it nor how large such a badge should be.

I saw how to add ones location, so that's visible in the avatar as well.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Lol i just realised you werent replying to me

Buddha

Never assume toranaga Im 27 and use the internet at work the reason i dont have the internet at home is that british telecom are a shit company, Btw im scottish and live in scotland. Also he is a she.

Buddha

I was replying to you Swoosh and also mentioned the Location thing to ToranagaSama. It was Swoosh question about clanbadges that put me on the right track to learn about Location.

Ja mata

TosaInu

Lol and to think i just got a pay rise at work

Buddha

Hi, does the "MP stats discussion" thread that has been closed still deserve to be a sticky in the JF? I think it ought to be archived.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

i agree, when we gonna get clan badges?

Hello Kongamato. I'm not the moderator there, but I guess not.

Baz, it's possible to make a clan skin. So who's interested to see clanbadges can select that skin. I think we should use the MedGuild skin as a 'template' for that?

The clanbadge would appear below the avatar. Dimensions should be some 50*17 (w*h) pixels. 17 seems very narrow, maybe 50*25?

I'm not looking forward to change tens of them a day and the clans aren't looking forward to anyone being able to select them. The 'clanleader' should submit the list and can update it once in 2 weeks. I will then activate the badge for the listed members.

I'ld also like the clans to design the badge themselves. I have the right to reject one (offensive etc).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast