Thread: Oda strats

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's strat is for playing 1530 Oda (One province only) on Expert.

I'll share mine later, my lunch hour is almost over.

Haven't done that one yet but I played as Mori starting with 2 prov. starting in I can't remmeber when (probably the same). The surrounding provinces only have a couple of units each but the trouble is trying to keep the province once you've got it. The loyalty is always very low when you've just won a province at the start of the game and rebellions keep popping up. If you build hugh numbers of Ashigaru you can scare alot of the armies aswell as boost the loyalties at a fairly cheap cost. You do however need to expand fairly quickly at the start to build up koku to build up armies and to build up the upgrades so that you aren't slaughtered later.

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.

[This message has been edited by Zone (edited 10-12-2001).]
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

No this is the campaign without Mori.

In this particular version the Ronin are powerfull. The key to my strat is to not invade any Ronins that would border me with Kaga or Yamashiro until the mid-game.

In the first season attack Mino. This will be your most important province thanks to its armoury. Only build up Mino while you crank out YAs at Owari.

Each year I'll try to take these provinces in order: Shinano, Echigo, Dewa, and Sado even though it goes against the standard rule of creating the smallest number of borders. In Shinano only build watch towers, Echigo only a mine, the same with Dewa, leave Sado alone or maybe get an archery dojo if you are having good harvests. The rest goes to Mino and YAs and the ocational SA (I try for at least one in each province).

At this point it all depends on the dipolmacy situation. My key goals are Mutsu and Musashi. I almost always try and ally with Tekada, since he is usualy the first to get killed, sometimes leaving me with Aki. I honor his memory by also invading Kai from whomever killed him off. With all those mines, I can out produce anyone one on one, so i spend the rest of the game picking them off one at a time.

I've also gotten into the habbit of using Mino not so much as a production center but are a retrain and refit center, oftun with better weapons and armor with each pass. This has lead me even to change my battlefield tactics somewhat since I like for each unit to at least suffer a loss.

well all this talk has me wanting to start another campaign, so off I go.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Hi VoodooChild:

Yes Oda 1530 seems to be one of the hardest scenarios in the new campaign.

In my own experience: get almost everything we have from Owari to Ise in the first season. The AI will retreat (and if they don't, we can still crush them).

There will be a good buddist temple left from your loot. Produce some monks there, and we will be fine defeating the other monks in Yamashiro later

My pre patched version has some stubburn Ronin in Isle... they stood strong and fought.

Even though I won the battle, it made my Clan weaker. The main reason why the Ronin are so powerfull in this campaign is that they use swarm attacks from every province around. If you cant withstand being attacked by 3 or 4 army groups at once, not only will you lose the newly won province, but you'll have a consolidated force at your doorstep. This coupled with uprisings, makes for a very challenging game for Oda.

Of course I'm much less agressive as Maltz and some of my other Co-op campaign mates are. Its one of the reasons why I like this campaign so much, because it takes me out of my element.

What you can do in that case is retreat and take on of the provinces that they've abandoned with another of your armies. They usually leave that one alone.

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

I use the same method as Maltz. Take Ise on turn 1 (with everything you have) and then leave the other Ronin alone for a while while you get over to Shinano and pick off the richer provinces. Once you have those the rest of the campaign is easy as you have the resources.
    On that battle in Ise, with careful use of your archers, the monks should not be too much trouble, although you can be mauled if you get it wrong.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

A unit need suffer no losses in order to gain an armour or weapon upgrade,

Simply drop the intact unit in the queue as normal and they will be outfitted with shiny new armour and weapons!

I have not tested wether this actually costs any koku to do, it may be 'free'!
    anyone?

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

seems to be free. you can outfit any unit even if the required training unit is not in the province, say, putting a monk unit into the training queue where there is only a spear dojo with an armory. Then the monk gets armor. If the monk unit is depleted though, it gets the armor but won't come up to full strength after "retraining".

Bribing rebel generals seem to be effective in 1530 games. However, if you successfully bribe a rebel general, you are considered at war with the rebels! Yamashiro's contingent often comes marching out causing serious damage.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Very defensive campaign... use lots of Ashi of course!

Use you Daimyo and have him attacking as much as possible as you need all hands on deck. The other advantage Oda have is a surplus of good generals at the start, use them defensively and spread them out amongst your newly conqured provinces.

Also keep the taxes on normal and use a lot of Shinobu... typically have two per province I hold plus one in all outlying provinces.

This keeps rebellions to a minimum which is the most lethal thing when combined with the Rebels who fight as if they were one clan.

I wouldn't mind the Yamashiro Ronin Archer/Monks if they didn't coordinate so well with the other Ronin.

------------------
    Victory first, Battle last.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.