Thread: Civil War

Well, yesterday I thought how fun it would be to fight a civil sar, because I have never fought any....

so what I did, I killed all my heirs with my assasains, and suicided the king into the germans...

Guess what happend??

I lost the game, no civil war or anything, I just lost...

So.., how can you play a civil war?

Senior Member Senior Member MonkeyMan's Avatar

Did you have two or more former heirs as generals? They have a crown next to their portrait. I think you need two of these guys with armies, to oppose each other and fight for the crown. I don't think non royal generals will often try to claim the throne.

###### of the Smurfs Member pyhhricvictory's Avatar

The best way to get a Civil War is have a really weak king and piss off a very strong general. In a (short lived) campaign as the Italians, I had a great general guarding my border with Germany (6*,7 acumen but a 3 loyalty). I sent a crusade to what I thought was a fairly weakly defended Istanbul (not Constantinople ) and it was crushed by a massive reinforcement army of Byzantines. My king lost just enough of his already low influence and my general rose up and tried for the throne. Needless to say, the majority of the armies went to the general and my king was crushed and my game was over. I should have backed tohe other guy.

You usually do not get civil wars by dying and not having heirs, in that case your game is over no matter what. You can engineer a civil war by angering a great general by stripping titles and stuff and then send a couple of bad crusades or lose a couple of battles and the guy will usually lead a coup to take over.
    The web of domination has become the web of Reason itself, and this society is fatally entangled in it

oh ok

I will try this, thanx

Original Viking Member hundurinn's Avatar

Many unsuccessful crusades.

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

The only one I've got in SEVERAL campaigns(I autosim a lot) was totally unexpected. I had the spanish, cleaned up the peninsula & North Africa. After a hard war against the remnants of Egyptia, My king was 55, Very cool, like 6-7 stars & hell's acumen, and a 6yo heir.

My king then died of disease. Oh shit. But wait there is a civil war between 2 royal blooded generals By choosing the strongest one, I've lost only Castille & Valencia. Snifff, I've lost the Cid too. But after a reconquista, I had even stronger heirs. Was a cool event in that campaign's history. the other one being sending a bad heir 1vs300 & seeing him winning.....
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Istanbul is the Turk name given to Constantinople after the Turks conquered Constantinople in 15th century. The city was called Constantinople (or city of Constantine) after the founder of the Eastern Roman Empire chose the site to build his capital city.

So, call it Istanbul is not right for the period we are in.

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

###### of the Smurfs Member pyhhricvictory's Avatar

Yes, I know that it is not right for the period we are in but it was meant to be a reference to the song Istanbul (not Constantinople) by They Might be Giants. My advice would be to get the CD and learn the song .

Micky
    The web of domination has become the web of Reason itself, and this society is fatally entangled in it

Having 2 generals with royal blood and then kill the king didnt work, so I guess I have to start launching those crusades

about how many of them do I have to launch???

and what if your playing as a muslim country?

In my last campaign as the English I could get a civil war anytime I wanted. All I had to do was destroy the chapter house and a civil war erupted. I reloaded and tried it again and it always happened. So I reloaded, left it intact and continued playing. 50 or so years later I tried it again when my king and heirs had changed etc. and civil war erupted again. I tried this about 4 times, each time waiting some years before trying again and always I got a civil war

Is that normal when destroying the chapter house? Presumably doing so causes a rather substantial hit on happiness/loyalty. There was no crusade underway at the times I tried this but I did have 2 'spare' (empty) crosses sitting in Wessex - maybe those count in a way.

Decided to leave it in the end.

Original Viking Member hundurinn's Avatar

I was the HRE and i sent 3 unsuccessful crusades to Rum.
    And BOOM a civil war I lost half of my country but Ii won it back not spareing a single reble it felt good.

it seems to me that when i want to have a civil war i cant, and when i dont it happens
    Jason Wallingford

i had a civil war break out with the germans once after i had conquered almost half of the world, it split it all right down the middle, i never got it all back
    Jason Wallingford

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (pyhhricvictory @ Dec. 12 2002,22:51)]Yes, I know that it is not right for the period we are in but it was meant to be a reference to the song Istanbul (not Constantinople) by They Might be Giants. My advice would be to get the CD and learn the song .

Micky
    Oh I love that song... its great fun

Istanbul was Constantinople, Now its Istanbul not Constantinople... Why did Constantinople get the works? Thats nobody's business but the Turks

Ok back on topic.

If you ever want to start a Civil War get a lowish loyalty general load him with titles and a big army, then strip him of his titles Chances are his loyalty would have dropped a bit and he won't be happy but if that doesn't do it, a failed Crusade sure will

Failing Crusades are pretty much the ultimate cause of Civil Wars I have seen thus far.

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

when ever i get myself/my army in a civil war, i just revert 2 a saved game several years before..

all hail King Steven

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

I faced a civil war only about twice. It was when my empire already stretched all over the continent, so the outcome of the conflict was really nice - total ruin of some of the best developed provinces I had (it lasted about 10 years). Since then I've never let any other civil war happened to me.