Thread: Two questions about crusades

I was playing Italians, early, easy and I had sent a crusade to Rum, unfortunatly after a few years its apparent that I'm not going to win. I use the .matteosartori. code so I can see the whole map, and notice that the HRE has two crusades at the same time, so I try to start another one going to Rum to help out, but the pope wont let me, Why? and is there a way to end the first one without having to wait for all the crusaders to leave so I can start a new one.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

The Pope, as a general rule, only allows each faction one crusade at a time. You can wait and try to go in with an ally or another crusade, or wait until the situation changes and the enemy is drawn down in numbers. Sometimes crusades just give up, but this is pretty rare.

I see this situation (small crusade, outnumbered, better chance to start a new one) as one where you should cut your losses and start over.

As a last resort, you can attack w/ the Crusade and get it wiped out. The best way to do this is to command the attack personally, and send units to their death one at a time. Don't attack repeatedly or you can help the enemy get good virutes. Do it once and make sure everyone dies.

Be sure to check any of your guys who are survivors 'cause they'll get bad vices.

Alternatively, if you can get extra guys to the country your Crusade in sitting in, you can add them to the stack. Unless you own the province this is likely to mean a war with the owner.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Ahhh crusades. The only way to get more than one active crusade that I know of is to have a crusade in progress against one faction when the Pope calls for a crusade against a specific faction other than the one you are already crusading against. It seems that if he deems it to be of personal importance then it is alright to have two active crusades.

The best way to get rid of an unwanted crusade is to allow it to be destroyed. However, there are consequences. A failed crusade generates a religious backlash in your own territory, this can lead to christian uprisings and even civil war.

The best way to successfully crusade against an enemy is to hit them early in the game and try to wind your way through as many high zeal catholic provinces as possible on the crusades route to its target province. You can also add as many of your own regular troops to the crusade as you like. Just remember that once you place a regular unit in a crusade you cannot get it back until the crusade ends and it will begin to slowly lose men due to attrition in the same way units generated for the crusades do.

I don't like to put a lot of extra units into a crusade, but I like to show up at the same time at the target with a few stacks loaded with primo units and a good general. Loosing a crusade on purpose is just not an option. The influnce hit you take has too many bad reprocuctions. If you have to go down, go down fighting.
    MTW it's not a game; it's a part time job.
    ---
    Any sufficiently advanced technology in indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke-

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Citera[/b] ]Ahhh crusades. The only way to get more than one active crusade that I know of is to have a crusade in progress against one faction when the Pope calls for a crusade against a specific faction other than the one you are already crusading against. It seems that if he deems it to be of personal importance then it is alright to have two active crusades.
    That explains why the comp often have more than one crusade .
    I once had 7 crusades in one screen, thanks god that the comp didn't coordinate those attacks .
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Thank you for your replies everyone.