Thread: Kensai nervous breakdown...

I've done this enough to be fairly certain that it's a "will happen thing" vs a "might happen thing". Using a Kensai to draw archer fire in either river crossings or castle assaults will save a (lot) of your troops by depleting at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the enemy's arrows. Some of the enemy missle units will run dry altogether. As you march the guy back and forth, you can actually see the stream of arrows missing him if done right. The enemy archers apparently don't lead him enough to hit him. I've yet to lose a Kensai to missle fire as such.

However, after a few minutes of this the little bugger's nerves are totally shot and he bolts like a gazelle! Don't even try to rally him cause it ain't gonna happen. He'll run through a dozen ranks of friendly supportive fellows withought so much as a "see ya!"

I think the CA folks did this to punish cheap little bastards like myself, whom they knew would figure out that tactic sooner or later. Ah well, if you can afford to rout your Kensai, and want to spare a ton of missle deaths, by all means give it a shot. You know the more I play this game the more I appreciate the genious of those folks at CA.

Actualy that is most likely the rout bug...

Just what exactly is rout BUG?

It happens when you give a unit too many orders, for instance, asking them to go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

In a way, the rout "bug" does make sense. For if I were one of those poor men who keep receiving ridiculous orders, I would eventually got fed up with it, and say: "That's it, I quit!"

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 10-10-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

The autorout is often called a bug, but it is something intentionally programmed into the game. There is a slight chance of routing if you order a unit to move away from an enemy unit. As you give more 'away' commands, the chance of routing seems to increase until it's a virtual certainty. Higher morale units are more immune from this, but will eventually rout. Once a units routs in this way, you cannot rally it.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I like Gothmog's description.

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Torîi Aku.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

"Don't pee on my leg and tell me its raining!"
    -- Judge Judy

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Ahhhhh, so THAT'S the rout bug. Thanks for enlightening me guys. I thought it was an exclusive Kensai trait. Still, it is a good way to drain those bloody archers though.

Hehe. My mate and l were defending nagashima when the attacker was about to rush me from below the hill. His gen was a kensai and he rushed with all. I ordered my guns and archers to shoot him and before even attacking he was blown to pieces!!!

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Well, if you want to get right down to it, the rout "bug" may actually add a bit of sanity to what is otherwise a ridiculous maneuver model. In reality you wouldn't be able to get people to jump to and fro and run around exactly so, always making a brave and straight and perfect line when all is said and done (indeed maneuver and control was a very major issue, and this is hardly represented at all).. the rout "bug" helps to counter this "feature" a bit perhaps..

It also prevents you from winning in 1 unit v 1 unit just by getting cavalry archers and sprinting all over creation the whole time.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Matt

matbe thats because he ran straight into the guns. I once had six Totomi honor 5 archers with legendary weapons blasting away at 3 lousy armorless Satsuma Kensai and did'nt hit nary a one. the archers were even on the sweet spot of the hill as well!

Ya... Kensai do seem too good to me... I had one (alone) vs. 540 yari and he slaughtered around 537 of them... that's gotta be wrong.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this ra..." Famous last words indeed...

They were h4 guns mate and l ordered all my projectiles to aim him. If a general kensai dies or flees(never seen that to happen) they shall follow

------------------
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!

Oh I don't know Khan if it's all that ridiculous. Did you see Kevin Costners stunt in dances with wolves? LOL.

I don't consider the rout bug a real BUG. I kinda like that feature... makes things realistic.

Have you ever seen a Kensai vs Kensai? I found the enemy had one and sent mine to attack. They hammered away at each other oblivious to the other carnage around them. It was kinda like Enemy at the Gates Samurai style... really fun to watch I did not care about the other stuff just the kensai.

Japan, a country of extremes.

I managed to kill an enemy Kensi with only the loss of 63 YS. I did however have 100 archers pouring arrows in from not very far away from uphill.

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Most of your men were killed by the archer fire.

------------------

About the rout "bug" - yes, it makes sense in most circumstances, but *not* with Mongol horse archers, who should be able to shoot and then fall back as the enemy approaches.

In one battle, I had 1x Korean skirmisher unit, 1x Korean spearmen unit, and 1x unit of Mongol horse archers (the command unit).

After reconnoitring the enemy, and falling back to lead them away from the Koreans for a while, the Mongol horse archers (and general) suddenly routed, and would not rally.

Fortunately, the skirmishers saved the day by raining javelins on the samurai archers from a wooded hill, followed by a charge by the spearmen on the yari samurai.

As for the kensai, thunder-bombers can be useful - they can usually blow up from one to three kensai on the first two or three grenades.

FuGu

I only met a Kensai once, in SPC, but I had a group of Battlefield Ninjas and they killed him in no time at all.
    sibben

mmmm... kensai... jejejeje *BUUURRRPPP*

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it