Thread: answer to allied battles: who keeps province

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

it's whoever has the biggest army at the end. i ran several tests and time after time this was the outcome.
    note, that it's who has the largest army at the end of the battle.

thx soly for your hard work in finding this out, it must have been a terrible ordeal for you

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Thx Soly.I guess if you want that province bad enough you might have to attack your ally to make sure you have the largest remaining army.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Well, the best bet in any such situation is to let the two OTHER guys duke it out.. THEN go in..

I've even been in situations where I purposely let my ally send up his archers to the enemy cav without my support, just so I can bump off archers that would one day fight me.

Matt

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

or simply hang back a bit and let your AI ally wear them down a bit,
    more often than not your AI ally will simply assault the defenders head on,

i've seen AI allies send a dozen units on a suicidal climb up a ridge straight into the face of enemy missile fire, by the time they get to h2h they have been decimated,
    then the 'enemy' slaughters them,

by the time i get into an advantageous position to attack my AI ally is usually routed or dead!
    The defender's men are tired, out of position and depleted in ammo...

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

it can go both ways. in a really huge battle, three daimyos (myself, imagawa, takeda) attacked a hojo river.

imagawa set up far from the river bank and didn't move until the battle was well under way (and my ally takeda's army was being ground down by the enemy). so it's not only human players who sit and take advantage of letting someone else do the fighting.

(this was spectacular battle, and i took screenshots which i will post with narrative up here soon, hopefully)

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Wow 3 Daimyos in one battle,I've never seen that before.This is going to be good.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

3 Daimyos with large armies? That river should be turning red quite easily. That really must've been spectacular!

------------------
    There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!
    Roma Invicta- Rome The Eternal

There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

Same thing happenned to me a couple of days ago. I was playing hojo 1530 campaign and attacked Musashi(Uesugi). Takeda and Imagawa were my allies and both came to support the invasion. Takeda crossed the bridge first then was followed by Imagawa. I had planned to attack both at some time, but this was too good a chance to pass up. While the Takeda were being routed by the Uesugi defenders, I stabbed Imagawa in the back then cleaned up the remaining Uesugi. Killed the Imagawa daimyo, the Uesugi daimyo committed seppukku, and I got the Takeda daimyo on the next turn. Three clans down in two seasons !!

Thanks for the update. Now to bring on the next set of questions now that this has been put to rest:

What Diplomatic consequences are there in Allied battles?

Will friendly fire from ranged weapons, targeted against the enemy, cause war between you and a ally after the battle?

will attacking an ally directly cause war after the battle?

people on lunch breaks want to know

Is there any way to coordinate with your ally so that you will invade a province at the same time. It would be very helpful against the Hojo horde.

Thanks

------------------
    There is a time to fight and a time to retreat it is wise to know the difference.
    There is a time to fight and a time to retreat it is wise to know the difference.