Thread: How excited are you about RTW?

Default How excited are you about RTW?

I dunno about you guys, but the more previews I read, the more rediculously excited I get about the latest addition to the Total War series! I mean, I'm 28 and I feel like a kid again - this is going to be an awesome game!
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: How excited are you about RTW?

I dunno, Maestro -- I actually have a kid as well as a wife, a cat and a regular job, so maybe that's why I'm a little less excited. Before I buy Rome I want to be sure that the game is worth messing up my laptop for. More than anything else I hope the diplomacy will be better than in MTW. Far as I'm concerned the battles may be few and far between (provided they're good) as long as they're integrated into a larger game that has a point apart from beating everyone else on the board to a pulp. If CA are able to make that leap, this 'll be the first of a whole new generation of strat games.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

yeah looking forward to it heaps! For the game but also for the mods that will come out. If the demo is anything to go by then it is very moddable and there will probably be some great mods out after!
    CHIVALRY TOTAL WAR - A medieval mod for RTW
    http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/

I agree with AdrianII that the battles can bew few and far between. It's the advancements to the single player campaing that wet my wick. The advanced trade, population and diplomacy look great.

Roll on October 1st 17 days to go.......
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

Ísland...or Iceland for ye darn foreigners :)

Excited? I am, but then again you can't see what I'm doing
    Roma must be destroyed

No lie I dreamed about playing RTW last night and woke up all in a shake and couldn't go back to sleep. How's that for excited?
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

I cannot stop think about it - of course I am excited .

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

To be honest, I am still (having recently installed Wes's MedMod) just scratching the surface of all of the fun I can have with MTW. I think it will be at least six months, or maybe even a year, before I think about buying RTW. By then hopefully Froggy, Katank, et al will have come up with a bunch of really useful RTW guides to supplement the typically woefully inadequate manuals put out by EA...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Say has anyone seen the history Channel's "Decisive Battles" its a show about "classical era" warfare (Ceaser, Alexander of Macedania the persians etc) Using the RTW engine probably people are gonna flame me for being a noob but I think the histroy channel diserve's some marketing credit as it was were i first heard of the game and the TOTAL WAR franchise at all.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Like Goofball i am still enjoying MTW. From the comments on the demo I am starting to have my doubts about RTW, so much so that last weekend I went out and bought VI because i realised I would be playing MTW for a while yet. Once I've had had fun with that I'll try MedMod, then I think I'll read what people say about RTW and make my mind up.

If, as I suspect, 90% of the development has gone into wizzy graphics (great now i need a new computer thanks a lot) and the SP tactical AI is still pants, I'll keep my money.

I only bought MTW because I read an interview, some time after it came out, in which CA claimed the AI was fantastic and staged ambushes and feint attacks and all sorts. Well that must have been some other game because the AI in my MTW mostly does things like charge the general and his 19 Royal knight chums on his own into 200 chivalric sergeants, whilst leaving its sword armed infantry standing getting shot to pieces some way back.

Unless RTW is WAY, WAY better than that why bother?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

English assassin, you've got a point in that the AI in MTW has it's off-days, but I've noticed that the sense and coherence of it's tactics depend in large measure on the command strength of its army. AI-armies with a 0- or 1-star general will line up backwards on all the wrong hilltops, but I recall some original, long-drawn and very challenging battles with high valour AI-generals, including feigning tactics, calculated withdrawals (in order to bring on reinforcements) and some downright circus acts involving Horse Archers and the like. As they come, this AI isn't all that bad.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

I regularly wet myself thinking about it.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Member Member Lord Dazed & Confused's Avatar

Very excited and even more so after reading a few of the reviews - just like a kid at Xmas and I'm 36 Doh! now I'm depressed I forgot how old I was

I'm not as excited about RTW as I used to. Just cautiously excited now. I have my doubts about the strategic AI just like English Assassin ( check the PC Gamer Review thread at TW Center: diplomatic AI seem to be a dog )

To be honest, I'm a lot more excited about the new game I just discovered a week or so ago :Imperial Glory . Giddily excited to be exact

Having said that, I'm still giving RTW a chance. I've been waiting for this since the first Gamestar screenshots and the commotion it made!

Member Member The Grand Inquisitor's Avatar

Call me 'Eeyore' but I'm not that excited. Usually, with a few exceptions, version II of games series is the best - Civilization II, Diablo II, Caesar II, Lords of the Realm II ...

Besides, I haven't played all the mods yet ... [actually I've only just started on this.]

Hopefully TW will buck the trend.
    Deus Vult

"Aye, there's the rub" Member PSYCHO V's Avatar

arr..VERY
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Quietus, my man!! Thanks for that hyperlink!! J. H. Christ, this looks exactly like what I've been waiting for for ages. If the review is anything to go by of course. Apart from the diplomacy (which may turn out to be run of the mill after all) consider the apparently detailed set-up of battles, as well as the full-flung maritime battles that are a huge bonus for naval buffs like me.

"There is apparently a deep morale model built into the game, which takes into account a whole variety of factors when determining how efficiently your troops perform in battle. The leadership ability of the particular unit's commander; whether your troops are defending their homeland; even the intricacies of the terrain, and how drastically it differs from the unit's home; all of these elements will come into play when determining their performance.

Your troops will also interact with the environments in meaningful ways. You'll see them take cover behind battlefield debris with automatic precision, and strategically occupy buildings as soon as they approach them. All these forms of cover can take damage as they're assailed with artillery, however, so they're not useful forever.

Engagement on a maritime region is an entirely different beast. Powering these exciting encounters is a fully-realized naval warfare mode that looks as sharp as it plays."

Oh brother, make this real...

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

I downloaded the demo one of the first days after its release, but I haven't got any farther than playing the tutorial, so, no, I don't think I am very excited about RTW yet.
    But I'll buy the game as soon as possible anyway, because I want to join the "PBM team" that will start a PBM thread for each of the Roman factions. It surely looks fun to me playing a faction (or more general "a game") for the very first time and report on that in a PBM thread.

I handled the empty box in my local games shop today, now I am marking the days off the calendar till the release.
    n.batey

Im as excited as a very excited person who has a jolly good reason to be exited.
    I cannot wait until im squesching the heads of my enemies under my hob nailed sandles.
    Untill then its

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

A fan of the Goon show! Marvellous!
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

yes Iv got one of my uni lecturers to thank for that. He put questions about the show on our tutorial sheets. And im still very excited.

Destroyer of Gauls Member bighairyman's Avatar

I'm very very excited. I going to Best Buy first thing after school, and hope they aren't sold out!
    No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards dying for their country.

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from red people.

why would anybody want to touch a girl's butt? Bart Sim

release it now!!! i´m so exited that i have preordered it in two different stores.. wanna know y? ask me
    " What we do in life, echoes in eternety! "

Well, not as much as many of you I must confess. I had follow the development of the game for the last year in some discontinuous way, I love the graphical features but I still see the AI a little too green. Previous TW series never get a wonderful AI, specially in the strategic map.

Another worry for me is the click speed can be more important in the tactical map than your tactics, done the speed of the soldiers and the marching pace. I'm still waiting for some details about how moddable this game will be.

So I am quite interested but my interest was bigger some time ago.

I like these buddies.