Thread: MI Oda 1580 Scenario

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

I just tried MI Oda 1580 on expert. Man it is not easy - I feel it is even tougher than 1530 and 1550. (change the difficulty to 5-star)

Nobody wants to ally with me. Tokugawa, my historical loyal ally turned onto me in the very first season, including multiple groups of their notorious battlefield ninja. OK, I expelled these SoB with heavy casaulties. And shameless Tokugawa ninja targeted my innocent priests right since the first season. I tried to forgive him and propose a ceasefire -- and my priests head comes back! And guess what - the game asks me to insert disk 2 but there is no such file calling "Tokugawa_head_on_the_plate". Bug.

Then, Takeda also attempts to attack Mino in all possible ways - and along with Tokugawa, his loyal ally who had almost no defense in Totomi. Ok, I defeat their ambition about one time every year with Oda Nobunaga, everytime with 800 vs. 1800 or so. Evil Takeda always let Tokugawa to do the charge first, while their cavalry attempts to sneak onto my back. But they were mauled by my H4 ashigaru in the woods, combined with one unit of YC charging downhill flanking.

After the routing of Tokugawa, Takeda quickly charged all kinds of cavalry on me, and I had to give up chasing Tokugawa or I will end up in the bottom of the valley. My large number of elite ashigaru was a perfect match of their heavy cavalry. My muskets broke their morale fast and tones of horses were on the run.

The ronins in Kawachi was the biggest threat I had to deal with first, or they are going to invade my lands non-stop. I attacked them in 1580 winter under heavy fog, with all my available arrows shooting down 227 of the monkie/archery bastards who dared stand infront of the bridge, and gloriously retreated with no loss when the timer runs out.

The second season I came back with Hashiba (Toyotomi) Hideyoshi, 800 vs 400. Sacrificing one unit of Naginata and yari ashigaru, I depleted their arrows and shot dead more monks who charged at my sacrifice. The enemy routed after they know there is no chance to defeat my 3 yari cavalry and ocean of ashigaru. They retreated - Kawachi was conquered with 97 total loss.

That's not the end - an Ikko Ikki revolt occured in Kawachi the next season. However, they voluntarily retreated into the castle seeing my 800.

In the meantime, Mori had quickly advanced to my border, and Shimazu got their foot stand in Shigoku fast. They are allied, so there is no hope for divide and conquer. Hideyoshi commands the poor in number and quality, but pretty well balanced army to challenge Mori as in real history. Having no good generals and numbers, Mori's monks are largely moving corpses facing with my guns and horses.

Mori is gone by 1885. But Shimazu has almost conqured the entire Shigoku. I sneaked onto Sanuki and Awa when they are busy dealing with Tosa. The ronins in Tosa were easily done for, but suddenly a revolt occurs. And all Shimazu's soldiers there turned ronin! Bug?

The report of 1886 says I am the largest clan in Japan. But with divided forces in three regions and 6 provinces, I am actually weaker than any clan on the borders - fighting 4 at the same time. Shimazu collected 1500 men of 90% Nodachi in Nagato, even after they lose about 1200 in Shigoku mysteriously. Hideyoshi's divided 900 had no way to defeat Shimazu Yoshihisa using that kind of crappy troops. But, suddenly Shimazu decided to attack me with only 700 vs. my 400 in Suo - darn high-morale ND got poorly slain to 50 left. Then, Hideyoshi marched all 800 onto Nagato - and lord Shimazu retreated on the battlefield.

By this time the Shigoku army have sneaked onto Buzen of Kyushu (as the ronin Tosa is not that aggressive temporarily). Needless to say I sold everything all the way through. Lord Shimazu was poorly surrounded in Nagato and had no place to flee. Kez... Ehhh... The 3000 army of Shimazu vanished in only 2 major fights in Sanuki and Suo. Kyushu is left with scattered Shimazu army to be conquered!

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 10-18-2001).]

ops hit the wrong icon. sorry.

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 10-18-2001).]

Lol Maltz here come all ur wise stories again

I've just been playing this one myself Maltz and it's a great challenge, much more so than any of the other 3 campaigns (SJ, 1530, 1550).
    The AI is more aggressive and much more tech advanced. This has been my first real chance to use muskets as I always won before they were available. They are lethal on bridge defense as I think has been noted elsewhere. Just line them up, sit back and watch the enemy race to his death to impress his Daimyo!
    Your method of taking Kawachi is interesting. I attacked in fine weather sending over 1 unit at a time of YA to get a monk rush which was then carved up by my missiles. When they were left with about 15 monks (out of 360 or so) I finally charged over mostly with the shot up remains of my YA and my now arrowless archers. It was a close run thing but I just made it.
    The battles for Shinano were also monumental with Uesugi, Tokugawa AND Hojo all ganging up to invade in great numbers and with semi immortal BN amongst them!
    Great stuff. This campaign has given the game a new lease of life for me and is well worth the price of MI on it's own.

I just finished the campaign (1593 spring).

Four great battles were fought in Shinano where each time 2000+ of Uesugi-Hojo allied army were expelled. There was one fight that 3 groups of muskets accounted for killing 1,000! More than half of the enemy taisho were shot dead. The only bad thing is that the enemy archers could fire on me even at the bottom of the valley, just out side my muskets' range.

The crossing of Mikawa river ended up with humiliating results. Tokugawa, the defender lost 918 while I lost 72. Muskets are just perfect in the "luring" tactics.

Hojo had a lot of horses and Uesugi a load of archers. Although they were large in numbers, a highly spear / horse biased army handle them well. I used the same heavy fog trick in Echigo, where Uesugi's R6 Date Masamune lost almost all his YS troops by anonymous arrows in the winter, then the second season a rush of horses took out all the archers and muskets head on.

It was probably the hardest campaign I have ever played. Very enjoyable, too.

Congrats on the incredible campaign, mate! Usually by the time I reach endgame, I'm too bored with things to actually fight the battles and just auto-resolve. Good to know someone there can actually see things through to the end.

Of course, my trouble with boring endings only applies to Easy mode, when you almost always develop into an unbeatable horde once you manage to eliminate one of the neighbouring daimyo and seize his farmland (especially if you start in the North).

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!