Thread: LongJohn2 (re: custom group formation)

I find the need to learn how to set custom group formations.

LongJohn2 mentioned something about that. Quote The formations are all defined in text files in the directory formationData. They are in four files, one for the historucal formations, one for the group formations, and two for use by the a.i. You can edit these to make whatever formations you like. Theoretically your revised formations should work ok online too, but I haven't tested this. The formation template language is quite powerful, and will let you make formations that automatically adopt to a wide variety of units. You might even improve the a.i. by giving it some better formations.
    ~LongJohn2[/QUOTE]i wonder if i can get some funky lines. http://www.guidestone.com/files/temp...tomgrpform.gif
    1. ermmm....WTF are "nonmissile infantry"
      "Assault Infantry" "Heavy Infantry" "Spearmen" "medium infantry""missile infantry""mounted""NonMissileMounted""Missile""Artillery"

hmmmmm. Since one can specify between horse archers and heavy/light cav...Therefore, i wonder if it's possible to separate crossbowmen and archers? (whether or not the above is true, i wonder how difficult making 2 lines of archer units will be? Uh oh...is two rows of archers impossible? hmmmm. no, it's not. curiouser and curiouser)
    Okay, so is it possible to have that pic i linked above form up with a click of a button?
    1. Is it possible to separate crossbow/archers?Is it possible to set loose/tight formation?Is it possible to set hold/engage tactics?Is it possible to get 2 rows of archers of same type? (say 4 TA's split into 2 rows)?Is it possible to get differing rank depths per row so i can get spearmen to 5 deep (loose/hold) and archers to 2 (tight/engage)?
    P.S. It would be supercool if the starting "attack" patterns could be coded the same. Gods! w00t! muhahaha... Quote Why make trillions, when we can make billions?[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by MajorFreak (edited 10-05-2002).]

Hmmm interesting...I must have missed that post about creating our own formations. I will have to look into that.

1) No
    2) and 3). The commands to set this are in the template language, but I'm not sure if they're currently working
    4) You can make as many rows of archers as you want
    5) You set the number of rows to use for each slot. All the units in the slot will then use that number of rows.

The starting formations for large armies are set by looking at the formations in the historical formations file, or any formation that is marked as historical. The computer selects whichever one it thinks is most appropriate for the forces you have

cheers! I'll cross my fingers and hope for good news about that tactics coding working correctly/enabled...though it's not that big a deal, since loose/tight isn't the problem (it's deciding row displacement) and hold/engage is a no-brainer to do on the fly anyways.would be nice though...would be like a buy script for counterstrike[/list]"nonmissile infantry"
    "Assault Infantry" "Heavy Infantry" "Spearmen" "medium infantry"?????? WTF is assault infantry? did i miss some obscure manual description, or what? (i'm assuming assault are non-disciplined? medium are disciplined and heavy are elite??)

[This message has been edited by MajorFreak (edited 10-05-2002).]

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Listed in the TC
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

I think I will make this my new quote
    "Go to the mod section please"

LK
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Go to the mod section please"

hmm? didn't find anything in the mod section referring to group formation customization, but since you suggested, why don't you link me to some threads you remember about this. huh?

------------------

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

while LK is correct, this is a mod forum Q,
    It has been pointed out to the crew down in the Dungeon that visits from Dev types to the Dungeon are not as frequent as visits to this forum,
    thus these sort of Q's get better response HERE, rather than where they should be.

Currently the crew down in the Dungeon are working on 2 main projects,

Enabling human control of existing religions which were intended to be AI control only by adding religious buidlings and units,
    this also involves creating and adding portraits and many of the building images - an awful lot of work.

Editing the campaign map!

and a plethora of misc projects,
    ie:- deciphering what all the text files do and writing guides for same

a completed campaign editing guide is available, but is not a finalised guide - (waiting for patch)

like many of our projects in the dungeon these are not going to be completed before the patch release because we anticipate a few things may yet change with the patch.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Okay, so here's my first attempts. (i replaced EasternDefense with my custom setup; for groupformations i replaced #7 & #8...#8 being identical to the custom historicalformation sans artillery)my problem will be apparent to anyone who selects, Ctrl+A & "groupformation #7"...The damned spearmen wanna play footsie!!! argh!![/list]http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/FAQ/Hi...Formations.txt (please backup your original)
    http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/FAQ/GroupFormations.txt (please backup your original)

Query: How the flying #$^#$^ do i prevent the darned spearmen from trading places if i want some of them to stay the hell put????

plz and much luff OXXOXOXO (majorsuckage)

[This message has been edited by MajorFreak (edited 10-13-2002).]

This is worth archiving... soly?

bif
    bif

-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. --

mmmmmm...there's another problem: I'd love to be able to switch between my #8 and #7

#8 gives you 'chevron' flanker wings, and #7 gives you inverted 'chevrons'...dunno why everything but the flankers don't stay still...especially if the only diff between the two groupformations is the wings...ESPECIALLY if slot0 is the same. (example: the enemy is commited and you wish to switch from #8 "defensive" stance to #7 "offensive" stance which brings up the flanks into exposed attack positions - fine and dandy, except random units of the same type switch places for no good reason.)

Also, once you try to regroup...darned computer doesn't let you choose/know/divinerevelation WHERE slot0 will be)
    [/list]It is nice though. Might want to test it out yourselves. What the composition usually calls for is a total mix. (The key elements being 2 spears/2 archers as the "core")

Ever got really annoyed how your archers aren't set up in rows of 2? how about placing a row of spearmen in front of them in loose formation for pincushion duty? Feel free to mess about, but i'd suggest you only really concentrate on the "historical" format (until we get word how to stop the musical chair syndrome)

Has this been archived yet?
    bif

-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. --

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

nope, but let's hope the best PAF
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei