Thread: Up Hill Advantage but how much?

So how much a advantge u get fighting down hill? In technical terms plzs......

ok what do you mean like extra valour..
    well to be honest i dont have a clue but i'd liek to stick around and find out...

------------------
    Coeur De Lion
    Coeur De Lion

i think maybe the dev's can answer this one..

ie 2 equal units 1 fights down hill other uphill......Unit fighting downhill always wins(9/10).......So how it calculated etc..Or whats added to what and how much is it...hehhee

See why im comin from

I ran some tests in custom battle with Order Foot in hold formation since that keeps a good uphill/downhill alignment of the two units, and the ai keeps its unit in hold formation as well. I checked these units on a flat part of the map and the kill ratio was 1:1 except right near the end of the fight. You always see a considerable amount of variation in tests like this. There is a fairly large unpredictable factor in the fighting.

According to the Strategy Guide, the uphill/downhill bonus varies with height. I used a map where I could defend on a slope of about 45 degrees against the ai. The most consistent result I get is a kill ratio of 60/40 in favor of the unit with the height advantage. There is variation around that ratio. I don't think the 60/40 is due to fatigue difference since the two units track closely on fatigue. The unit with the height advantage also gets +2 added to morale. What this means is you can probably hold 3 units with 2 on a 45 degree slope. That would be enough for 12 units to hold or even beat 16.

I tested the downhill bonus with WE/MI v1.03 in custom game. I modified the YS to be 100 men. I found a place that is about 30 degree slope. I had to put my unit in engage-at-will because that's what the ai uses. I got a kill ratio of 60/30. That's 2:1 for 30 degree slope. So Kocmoc is right, the uphill/downhill bonus is considerable larger in WE/MI.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Also, moving uphill goes slowly, this means being uphill gives you maneuvering advantages... Coming from uphill its alot easier to charge into an enemy, then hit their flanks.

I know this isn't the technical advantage, but it definetely applies.

According to the strategy guide, there are 2 effects:

- add +2 morale if the unit is higher than all nearby enemy.

- add an amount if striker is higher the target OR subtract if target is higher than striker. The amount added depends on height difference.

Oh, and the amount you're adding is added to the "to hit" percentage." It's separate from morale.

That's all it says.

[This message has been edited by favedave (edited 10-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by favedave (edited 10-27-2002).]

Member Member Michael the Great's Avatar

Oh,oh,...i've always wanted 2 ask this:
    Does charging downhill increase the charge factor?????????
    Io,Mihai-Voda,din mila lui Dumnezeu,domn al Tarii Romanesti,Tarii Ardealului si a toata tara Moldovei.

Thnxs PuZZ!
    Wonder why they changed the stats from MI then?
    Maybe the Dev's can xplain about it a little...

When I fight with sword, I find it easier to engage when fighting up-hill, because the feets/legs makes a very good target, which is VERY hard to defend. And it is somewhat easy to cover your head with a shiel, because some of the hill acts as a shield to your feets.

Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

You don't fight with a sword shjibatba akcechi, and you never have. You never will.

Downhill heavy cavalry attack at the flanks of your enemy has devastating effect. And foot units show miracles too. Once my militia sergeants attacked feudal foot knights down hill (at the flanks). The whole enemy's army routed without real fight.