Thread: ever wonder what total war

as we can all agree that total war is pretty exceptionally good war series games...especially with the new facial uplift been given by total war

i was wondering what do you think of total war based on these eras

1400 to 1800s

this can be used on a wider global map and depict rise of western nations in europe to global domination

alternativeliy we can have 1660 to 1920 era
    in that the map focuses on europe and africa and asia...giving the emphasis on the last two centuries of european dominations before the rise of good old us of a

in this the intense struggles and politics of those days can be displayed i think without any problems by the total war engine

i wanted to know your opinions guys/gals
    Leonidas (Agiad King, 491-480, Killed at Battle of Thermopylae)

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

Or perhaps one massive Total War stretching from Sumerian times to WWI, or to whatever point the engine can no longer re-create.

And I want naval battles.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]2)what role will ships play in Rome?

A) A) Naval combat is abstracted in Rome: Total War. A quick
    back-of-the-envelope calculation showed us that the average player would
    die of old age if he had to fight through all the naval battles on top of
    the all the land battles. In conventional circles, it's considered
    frightfully bad form to kill your players. However, the abstract system
    isn't as abstract as the one in Medieval: Total War. Sea regions don't
    exist in the game, so it is possible to position fleets to blockade and cut
    off cities. It's also possible, therefore, to sail around enemy fleets or
    just attack a portion of a blockading force. You won't get to control at a
    battlefield level, but you do get a finer degree of 'operational' command.
    We've also tried to include an interesting mix of ancient warships.
    Die of old age? That's bulls**t. Nothing more than a half-witted excuse devised to justify omitting that crucial element of warfare.

I am reminded of the Diablo II balls-up, whereby certain necromancer summons would attack certain other necromancer summons. Blizzard attempted to make amends for this piece of shoddy programming by explaining that skeletons, golems, etc. would attack bone walls / cages because they were offended by them- WTF? Don't give me that bull

What we are seeing here with regard to naval battles is no more professional.

Back to the topic: yes, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Napoleonic mod. Give it a try while you wait for the next installment/s in the Total War series. Also, there are of course many other mods either complete or in progress. A few that come to mind: WesMod, upcoming LotR, I believe someone mentioned a Saxon Invasion-type mod at some point...

Dig around in the Dungeon forum, and you'll find plenty of food for thought.

A.

now that you mention it a expansion in ancient times will be challenging and fun think of assyrians or hitties or even judean armies only if diplomacy was updated and more fun
    Leonidas (Agiad King, 491-480, Killed at Battle of Thermopylae)

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

Global map would be very difficult as there would be far too many provinces too look after, going from shogun (60 odd) to MTW (120 odd) to global - say 300 odd provinces, turns with battles every turn would take ages.

Ancient total war is more likely - easier to handle obviously.

I would also love to see naval battles, so what if it takes longer - it takes me typically a month to finish a campaign, so it would just take six weeks?

Member Member Lord David the Denied's Avatar

Thumbs up

A Saxon Invasion mod would be brilliant. Whoever tries it MUST read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles first.

Think of it... The tension between various Celtic kingdoms, the rampaging Saxons, fearsome and seemingly unstoppable, the spread of Christianity...

Perhaps a mod for Rome would be better, since I heard you'll get War Dogs in Rome, which were a big part of Saxon warfare. You'd need the Saxon warriors to throw axes as they advance, that's not possible with Medieval.

It's all there in the Warlord Chronicles. If it could be done, If not,
    The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us, unseen. - H.P. Lovecraft, The Dunwich Horror

A renaissance TW from the fall of Constantinople to the XVIII century. That I would like to see.

Quote[/b] (lancer63 @ July 15 2003,16:07)]A renaissance TW from the fall of Constantinople to the XVIII century. That I would like to see.
    Yes Italian city states, thirty years war and Gustav Adolphus would be nice

From 1500-1900 is the clear next step for the TW series. This encompasses the days of gunpowder, and european colonialism. Many many great campaigns and battles would be encompassed.

By 1900 the massed formations that TW depicts so well are replaced by more spread out warfare, as firepower, transportation and communication drastically improve.

But some of the greatest battles in history would be included.

The siege of tenochtitlan. Waterloo. Gettysburg. I would love so much to see a TW series in this era. It would include everything. Massed gunfire. Hand to hand fighting at bayonet point. Cannons of varying sizes and mobility. Huge numbers of cavalry.

Welcome to the Entrance Hall Lord David.

Medieval Total War: Viking Invasion: Saxon Invasion would be a bit of a mouthful to say, don't you think?
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote[/b] (Lord David the Denied @ July 15 2003,06:52)]It's all there in the Warlord Chronicles. If it could be done, If not,
    Hi Lord David

As you can guess from my name i too would LOVE to see a mod based on the Warlord Chronicles. As it is, you can still recreate the batles from the books with the VI expansion. Lots and lots of spearmen........
    'Odi et ammo, excrucior' - I love and I hate, it hurts.

'Excretus est ex altitudine' - Shat upon from a great hight.