View Poll Results: Most important skill in MTW - if you want to win that is...

Voters
56. This poll is closed
  • Gah!

7 12.50%
  • Cut Head! Make soup!

3 5.36%
  • Choosing the right Spanish faction

3 5.36%
  • Choosing the right Byz faction (if early)

0 0%
  • Fast clicking / mouse setting

11 19.64%
  • Unit selection

16 28.57%
  • TEAM SELECTION (guess which team will win and go with them)

7 12.50%
  • Checking game conditions before entering the room (desert?)

2 3.57%
  • Blind Luck

2 3.57%
  • Gah! Cut Head! Gah!

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important skill in MTW

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Cool

I dropped a HINT...

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

3 things: Lots of cav, good team and a good and fast mouse

CBR

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

there is no "do your own thing" up there
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

There is Gah and Gah Cut head Gah

What other 'do your own thing' would you like to see?

Louis,

Fast movement, response and meticoulous micromanagement is still the very important.

The problem in this poll is that it doesn't list creativity. The most important skill is to find creative solutions to all the problems one might find on the battlefield, regardless of the map, faction, florins.

Tera.

The Order of Kenchikuka

Cool

It's all about knowing how to react givin that you know your surroundings, units, controls, and enemy.

So, i voted for fast mouse clicking, cause the faster you are the better and thats very important.

Combine the 1st thing i said with fast mouse clicking and that's skill.

lol most important skill, where would i start.
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

George Patton said:

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team."

What good are your Pavise Arbalesters when your Chivalric Foot Knights are not protecting them? What good are your Chivalric Men-at-Arms if their flanks are left open? What good are your Heavy Cavalry if you leave the enemy's anti-cav unchecked?

I believe that skill is the proper organization and drilling of your army. Ever seen a newbie take a balanced army, send one unit of cavalry at the enemy, and once they rout put every unit in wedge and charge at the enemy general, all one at a time? Ever crushed 3 whole units of Longbowmen with Chivalric Knights because some newbie manually targeted your CMAA, and you moved them back, letting the Longbows run straight into your charging horsemen? These newbies lacked the drill skills it took to make their armies fight as a team. Organization is the skill of making your army work, and that is what I value most on the battlefield. Balanced armies and combined arms dont mean anything if you cant make them work together.

George Patton also said:

"If you can't get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?"

This applies. If you cannot make your men do what you want, how do you expect to win?

Let me sum up my answer to this question:

The most important skill in this game is the ability to have your men do what you want them to do. Control. Some call it fast-clicking, others call it micromanagement, I call it being disciplined and properly drilled. Not much strategy in that, is there? Strategy belongs in the army selection phase. On the battlefield, teamwork through drilling and control is what counts.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

gah how bout wear your opponent out by continued routing, then reform and rout again... hopefuly your enemy will be tired from chasing you...

Most important skill is how to micromanage those Turcoman, Hashishin and Naptha simultaneously. Oh and to remember to set the Hashishin off fire at will and on hold position
    {RVN}Vandal - Boyar of Clan Raven

Never disturb an enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (t1master @ May 01 2003,15:10)]gah how bout wear your opponent out by continued routing, then reform and rout again... hopefuly your enemy will be tired from chasing you...
    Gah

I have tried that recently... I think (RTK)Lamorak routed all my units but 2 something like 4 times in a row, meanwhile my 'allies' were watching... I hope they had fun.

I think Lamorak was doing pretty fine, not getting too tired, killing my guys, routing them until they ask for mercy....

So, hum, eventually I ruled that out of the winning skills...

I recommand you do not try to use this skill t1master. It is not a winning one

Louis,

GAH George Patton is a fool, he arrived to an already won war. He can stick it GAH Give me Scipio Africanus, Guderian, Rommel, Heinrici, Wavell, Zhukov, Koniev Then you have a general and not some wanna-be winner.
    MF_Ivan aka Executor96

Tourney Director for Winter 2003 Arts of War Tournament

Does your opinion make my quotes of Patton wrong, tactically unsound, or idiotic?

"Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Fast click aka micromanagement is the MOST important skill.

Good army? Just copy one of the vet. Easy.
    Good allies? Stick with establish names. Easy.
    Gah? Thats what to say after victory. Easy.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Wink

Hi...

I agree with fast mouse movement and also a understanding of each unit and its capabilities
    NightRider of DragonCREW *Time ends all things*

DragonCREW

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Angry

Gah Cut heads off Gah

Aggression is the crucial 'skill' in MTW.

Unit Selection. I don't care how good you are, you're not going to win with 16 units of peasants, unless your opponent is seriously a complete idiot, or you have some unfair advantage.

But besides this obvious situation, there are some situations where your units just don't don't match up well, and your opponent has the obvious advantage.

Battlefield Awareness

After only a few battles you can get to know what units to buy, how to use them, who to ally with ect. But unless you know the situation once the battle starts you're going to get hammered. Unless you have very good allies who tell you what to do
    Proud member of the Ravens

I have an X-Box, it's where I keep all my x-girlfriends

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Like to add that micromanagement also include unit match-up. Able to control fast will be quite unless if you keep sending wrong unit to face the enemy. It is one of the hardest skill to master, to be able to quickly match up unit when you and the opponent are both moving the pieces; you have to identify the units' valor, take into consideration hidden bonus like weapon upgrades etc... avoid surprises like v1 chi.knight losing to what seems like a v0 chi.knight when in fact it has 3 weapon upgrade.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Blog Entries

the important thing is unitselection, make a turtel and dont move a unit and u will see, u can win a lot of ur games, so u dont need a mouse and dstill can win with veeeerrrryyy slooooooooooooowwwwwww mouseclickin....

koc

Senior Member Senior Member LRossaLordJimi's Avatar

For me skill in MTW mean choose the right units,and this is not easy,because there are many good formations,but your own way of play is different and you can't copy kocmoc's formations and play like him
    So you have to try and try and find your right formations (or maybe copy the right one )
    Skill is to read the battle in the few minutes of start,see the flag of valours of enemy,see his formation and intentions and plan your attack or defense.
    Skill is cover your intentions and move on the right moment.
    Fast clicking don't make you win,many great generals wait for your move and then move the reserves and win...

And first of all our Tarranakian master Krast say right:aggressivity is the key of victory.Just at the right moment...
    GahCut head off

Ave

Audantes Fortuna iuvat
    LRossaLordJimi

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

well i tihnk that army is important, though i voted fr blood

sure its one thing to pick a great army, its another thing knowing how to use it to its full potentual

thats where most gamers fall.. making an army theyve seen before and playing a normal strat with it. Once a player out there takes the same army as his enemy, and uses each unit to its maximum potentual, then you will see that general completely trounce most of his opponents.

As it stands id go so far to say about 98% of players play averagly, taking the "balanced" army, and holding the line.

its an effective tactic, and wins many games, but you will also see many of the better players completely anhiliating them
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

i was undercover one day and brought one of kocs english armies (v3 longbows anyone?) ... tried my best to play like him to... his style that is... i was with a noob in a 2v2 vs my clam8 ace and wolfnashwan... at the end of the game both nash and ace were saying "hi koc" lol...

IMHO Knowledge of the battlefield, units and game interface is sort of "basic" knowledge. It's quite easy to obtain but very important. For example, not knowing about unit abilities can lead to an army of peasants, archers and urban militia... an almost certain loss.

When everyone has these basic skills covered, players are mostly distinguished by their abilities to play creatively and to respond quickly to situations.

All of these skills are important, I can't single out any one aspect. If compared to time invested, proper selection of units probably has the greatest impact.

another on ethas still imporatant is timing
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Unit selection, mouse clicking, fast reaction, battlefield awareness, the ability to lead your enemy.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

I would agree with Amp and Tera.

Manuevering and being able to react quickly to opportunites which present themselves is important. Also knowing your armies abities and strenghts and those of your allies is also key.

RTKPaul
    Also Known As: RTKPaul
    "I dont want you to die for your country, no poor son of a bitch ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country"- George S. Patton

Agree with Tera and a few....to see what is going on and respond with the right action at the right time to maximize chances for victory. Easy to say....
    Dimeolas

Quote[/b] (Dimeolas @ May 02 2003,16:31)]Agree with Tera and a few....to see what is going on and respond with the right action at the right time to maximize chances for victory. Easy to say....
    Dimeolas
    If it were easy I would never lose

Hehe.

The Order of Kenchikuka

Quote[/b] (Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe @ May 01 2003,18:36)]Gah

I have tried that recently... I think (RTK)Lamorak routed all my units but 2 something like 4 times in a row, meanwhile my 'allies' were watching... I hope they had fun.

I recommand you do not try to use this skill t1master. It is not a winning one

Louis,
    alas it's the only tactic i've mastered, therefore the only one i can honestly comment on.

i'd lean towards unit selection and knoweledge of your teammates and communication, if possible.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast