• Equiltes (cavarly)

2 4.17%
  • Auxillarys

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTW's Strongest Roman Units

sorry if iv fogot anything..
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

Nope - as far as Romans go that's probably about it - although you might've divied up the Legions into Hastati, Princepes and Triarii....but a mere quibble on my part

Has to be the Praetorians. When raised in 31BC they were the best of the veteran legionaries from both Augustus's army and his defeated opponents (Mark Anthony etc) who were hardened veterans of campaign and battle.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Nope - as far as Romans go that's probably about it - although you might've divied up the Legions into Hastati, Princepes and Triarii....but a mere quibble on my part
    yes but it would of been the Hastati of corse cause they were the best so, quite pointless putting them in..
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

i´ll go with praetorians aswell..

I said Praetorians as well.
    Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

bit of a 1 sided vote.
    Expect The Unexpected.

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

I'd say the Praetorian Guard followed by legionaries. The others like auxiliary and cavalry would need to be expanded in my opinion. The Romans used many different types of auxiliary units, and different types of cavalry.(usually auxiliary units as well) For example there would be Syrian archers, Gallic cavalry, Germanic cavalry, Balearic slingers ect. All should be inferior to the Praetorian Guard and the legionaries though. Rome won with its infantry, which was the best of the day. In fact the Roman infantry should be the best units in game, not just the best for the Roman faction.

i agree longshawks maybe Hoplites should be better, but i belive elephants will be most powerfull
    Expect The Unexpected.

Member Member some_totalwar_dude's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Stormer @ May 04 2003,10:18)]yes but it would of been the Hastati of corse cause they were the best so, quite pointless putting them in..
    Wheren't the Triarii the best legion soldiers? they where the oldest (not to old) and most experienct.

but my vote goes to the Preatorians

theKyl: so I shoot some_totalwar_dude for hinting at my m8 sinan
    theKyl shoots totalwar_dude for spamming
    Demon of Light shoots some_totalwar_dude.
    Demon of Light shoots some_totalwar_dude for misspelling Chihuahua.

(image comming soon )

trarii then i always get mixed up.
    Expect The Unexpected.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

balearic slingers
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Exclamation

I don't very well understand ... the praetorians were, indeed, the best at the moment of their creation as a unit, but ... after that they transformed themselves in a political corps, something like the SS brigades (and those weren't elite )

The THING was that they were the only ones who were permitted to station in Rome (well, it was the german guard also, but it was disbanded after the first emperors).

yea PR fire but on the game they will be on the battlefeld.
    Expect The Unexpected.

I think I figured out why on the .com site it says that the Praetorian Guard was founded by Scipio Africanus In real life i believe Hakonarson said they were founded in 31 BC but that would not allow them to played for long in the timespan of RTW. However if the devs willfully "overlook" history and claim that the Praetorians were founded by Scipio Africanus we would be able to play with them from the Second Punic War and onwards. Just a hunch, however. I may be wrong.
    Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Scipio did have a paraetorian cohorte and apparently gave them special pay and conditions, but it was only a single cohorte, many other Roman generals had praetorian units, and the historian who says Scipios were given special treatment is relatively unknown.

As someone else said - "praetorium" merely means headquaters, and the praetorian units were initialy just tne HQ guard.

are praetorian guard same as praetorian cohourt
    Expect The Unexpected.

Yes, it is the same thing ...

Then again, Hakonarson, the praetorian guard as an imperial guard couldn't be in the game earlier, as there were no emperors, no?

But Scipio created the first classic praetorian corps, and they acted as bodyguards (along with the lictors).

The later praetorian guard (as in imperial times) was transformed in some kind of police force for Rome, and their numbers were multiplied.

Preatorians

How can five vote legionaries above a "special force".

It is like, the US marines being better than the SAS or S.E.A.L... Ow, well some might think the Marines are better, they say so on CNN
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

well amybe their looking at it from the perpective of 6000 Roman legionaaires V's 600 praetorian guard.

Then they got a good point
    Expect The Unexpected.

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Stormer @ May 04 2003,13:46)]i agree longshawks maybe Hoplites should be better, but i belive elephants will be most powerfull
    No way are Hoplites better But that discussion belongs in the Legionary vs. Hoplite thread.

Forgot about the elephants. They should definately have the strongest attack in game, but should be prone to panic, especially if hit on the flanks.

Quote[/b] ]Originally posted by Sjakihata Akechi
    It is like, the US marines being better than the SAS or S.E.A.L... Ow, well some might think the Marines are better, they say so on CNN
    They are better than SAS or SEALs at some things. Like storming beachheads, capturing fortified enemy positions, fighting the enemy in pitched battles ect...conventional military objectives. SAS/SEALs would be better at special operations missions like hostage rescue, sabotage, ect. Its not a fair comparison really, since both are designed to do different things. One is a conventional force, one is special operations. It's like saying which is better...Assassins/spies or Knights Templar in MTW?

It's like saying that the SS infantry divisions were better than the pionieer corps (better comparison, as the praetorians were more political oriented )

Actually I think they are wrong about Praetorians being around since 321BC. They were not around till after teh republic died and teh empire emerged. This is post Julius Caesaer. Also like someone said earlier yeah they were special body guards. Its not like comparing Navy Seals or SAS to marines its more like comparing the secret service to Navy Seals.

Prateorians I believe only had to serve about half of the mandated military time in order to retire with pension. Also Prateorian guards were largely selected from the Germanic tribes because they were believed to be less susceptible to bribery and the politics which plagued and eventually crippled Rome. It was also expected that they would usually return to there native country after serving there emperor so there would be less need for them to make political choices in order to insure there future. Also being Germanic Praetorians were naturally stronger individuals than Romans and Italians were. This is openly accepted fact of ancient times. Germanic tribes had larger and naturally stronger men.

I voted for Legionary as a whole because of there team work. Like it was once said about spartan warriors 1 on 1 they were good but nothing overly special however as a group they where worth many times there number. As individual fighters gladiators and praetorians would probably win but as a fighting unit I would say Legionares are the best hands down.
    Also Known As: RTKPaul
    "I dont want you to die for your country, no poor son of a bitch ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country"- George S. Patton

Dth you've got it almost completely wrong

German body guards were common in hte 1st century AD but htey were not praetorians - Praetorians were recruited solely from Roman Citizens, and initialy the WERE legionaries

The Imperial Guard was raised by Augustus in 31BC - not 321 But Praetorian cohortes were known for at least 200 years before then - they were the headquarters guard for many generals - just not organised as a seperate "arm"

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

The preatorians in the game could be the bodyguard unit for the king or the princes,i might be wrong though.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

I never said they were created in 321 BC. Read my post I said someone else was wrong in saying that they were around so early. I also placed them at time of Agustus but was and am not sure of exact date.

Also You are right about them being Roman Citizens however this was only until Septimus Severus around 195 AD. He then opened it to all Roman Legions also by this time a large portion of the Roman army was composed of people from conquered lands i.e. gaul. Praetorians were an Imperial Guard of 9 cohorts with only 3 being stationed in Rome at any 1 time. They also became very corrupt and even plotted and helped assasinate several Emperors i.e. they killed Caligula and placed Claudius on the throne.

They were disbanded as Imperial guards by Constatine who saw them more as a threat than a guard force. He replaced them with a Royal Guard but Praetorian Prefect still held alot of political power and was more of a goverment office than a military one.
    Also Known As: RTKPaul
    "I dont want you to die for your country, no poor son of a bitch ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country"- George S. Patton

Sorry - my misreading.

So we agree that their excesses come well after the time frame of RTW then, so in game they're going to be very good.

Although personally I'd rather see their bonuses as being solely morale and/or valour ratherthan any base combat values.

Certainly the later (and maybe even the early to some extent) Praetorian guard was oriented toward guard duty and ceremonial functions. They would not have been the equal of veteran legions in battle.

we kind of agreed on this

Sorry, I tend to skim through long threads.

I say Roman legionnaires, because they actually built the Empire, instead of just guarding its corrupt rulers
    "You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you."
    --Leon Trotsky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast