Thread: Mod help for Hungary

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to modify the Hungarians so they can get some good units. If possible, I'd like to just give them the Byzantines' stuff. Thanks for any help.

Senior Member Senior Member MonkeyMan's Avatar

Hi GranCactus remember you are a junior member now so you can goto the dungeon. They don't bite and the are loads of good FAQs and stickys in there on just such subjects. However, here goes the basics of what you want.

Find your crusaders_unit_prod.txt in your MTW directory (usually c:\program files\total war\medieval - total war&#92. Make sure you take a backup of this file before you begin, so just copy it to your desktop for now.

Open it and find an entry for a unit you want to have, for example Byz. Infantry:

ByzantineInfantry INFANTRY 175 5 1 0 80 100 1 OK ORTH_BANDITS(10), ORTH_LOYALISTS(15), ORTH_ZEALOTS(10) POVERTY_STRICKEN(190.75), DESPERATE_DEFENCE(109), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST(87.2), CATHOLIC_NAVAL_EXPANSIONIST(87.2), CATHOLIC_TRADER(109), CATHOLIC_CRUSADER_TRADER(109), CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST_CRUSADER(87.2), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE_CRUSADER(130.8), POPE(163.5), CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE(130.8), CATHOLIC_ISOLATIONIST(163.5), ORTHODOX_DEFENSIVE(130.8), ORTHODOX_EXPANSIONIST(87.2), ORTHODOX_STAGNANT(109), MUSLIM_PEACEFUL(109), MUSLIM_EXPANSIONIST(87.2), MUSLIM_DEVOUT(87.2), BARBARIAN_RAIDER(43.6), REBELS(109), CLOSE_TO_SUPPORT_LIMIT(18.53) { SWORDSMITH} DEFENDER,SPEAR ALL_PERIODS YES HEIGHT( 85 ), RADIUS( 25 ), SCALE( 120 ), PROJECTILE_TYPE( NONE ), SAMURAI( NO ), MARCH_SPEED( 6 ), RUN_SPEED( 10 ), CHARGE_SPEED( 11 ), MIN_TURNSPEED( 2 ), MAX_TURNSPEED( 8 ), TURN_TO_MOTION_SPEED( 8 ), MAX_INMOTION_TURN( 96 ), FORMATION_WIDTH_SPACING( 60 ), FORMATION_LENGTH_SPACING( 60 ), ENGAGEMENT_THRESHOLD( 1500 ), CHARGE_BONUS( 3 ), MELEE_BONUS( 2 ), DEFENCE_BONUS( 2 ), ARMOUR_LEVEL( 3 ), HONOUR_LEVEL( 0 ), AMMO( 0 ), FORMATIONS_PREFERRED_NUM_ROWS( 4 ) NO own_unit_tooltip1, own_unit_tooltip2, other_unit_tooltip1, other_unit_tooltip2 CHAINHLM, YES, YES BYZANTINE Missile, Shocktroop, Spear, Cavalry SKIRMISH(0), ADVANCE_PARTY(1),

now notice toward the end there is an entry BYZANTINE, change this to -

BYZANTINE, HUNGARIAN

Including the s. make sure you do not remove or change the TAB characters that are either side of this. Now repeat for each unit you want and test each time to make sure no errors occur. And that pretty much is that. hopefully this will not be compramised by any religious problems (I can't remember if hungarians are catholic or orthadox) but i think you will only get this problem if you try to use muslim units.

There are a number of editors and spreadsheets in the downloads section that can make this editing process less difficult to navigate and help you to avaoid any errors. You may want to do some research into this if you are planning on doing a lot of modding.

That did the trick Thanks a lot. That's all the modding I plan to do, but maybe I'll go nuts and let the poor, downtrodden Hungarians have everything.

Yeah GranCactus: think of the possibilities. Isn't it scarry

Cool Thanks monkeyman, i gotta try that
    Formally Samurai-ninja_fusion_of_doom