Thread: Adding new units to VI

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I'm learning the ways of modding, and last night attempted to add a simple new unit. On the Viking Crusader Unit 11 screen (you know the one) I copied Bezerkers to make a slightly new Celtic unit just as a test. I called them 'Mad Bastards' (lol ) and allowed the 4 Celtic factions to train them. I gave them descriptions and singular and plural names in the loc files, and then simply copied the Beserker bifs and called them 'Mad Bastards'. I then went into the Textures files and copied the Beserker folders there, once again changing the names. However, I didn't give them a shield. I started the game (it worked, always a good sign) and low and behold, they worked They had no shield while fighting either, so they looked different. So I wanted to try more simple ones.

I used the same process to make Pictish Infantry, using SlavWarriors as a base. I gave them the shield of the Rus Spearmen this time however. The game started fine but the unit wasn't in it. I think it's something to do with the Crusader Unit file because the game isn't acknowledging them at all. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many units you can add? I even changed the shield back to a normal Slav Warrior one but it didn't work.

I'm getting to grips with the Textures file by the way. If you copy the Saxon Huscarl weapon file and give it a new unit name but don't give them a shield will they just have the big axe? I'd like to know what they mean exactly.

And sorry if I wasn't allowed to swear

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Blind King of Bohemia @ May 10 2003,08:31)]I'm learning the ways of modding, and last night attempted to add a simple new unit. On the Viking Crusader Unit 11 screen (you know the one) I copied Bezerkers to make a slightly new Celtic unit just as a test. I called them 'Mad Bastards' (lol ) and allowed the 4 Celtic factions to train them. I gave them descriptions and singular and plural names in the loc files, and then simply copied the Beserker bifs and called them 'Mad Bastards'. I then went into the Textures files and copied the Beserker folders there, once again changing the names. However, I didn't give them a shield. I started the game (it worked, always a good sign) and low and behold, they worked They had no shield while fighting either, so they looked different. So I wanted to try more simple ones.

I used the same process to make Pictish Infantry, using SlavWarriors as a base. I gave them the shield of the Rus Spearmen this time however. The game started fine but the unit wasn't in it. I think it's something to do with the Crusader Unit file because the game isn't acknowledging them at all. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many units you can add? I even changed the shield back to a normal Slav Warrior one but it didn't work.

I'm getting to grips with the Textures file by the way. If you copy the Saxon Huscarl weapon file and give it a new unit name but don't give them a shield will they just have the big axe? I'd like to know what they mean exactly.

And sorry if I wasn't allowed to swear
    I was knowledge under the 'old' MTW on how to add units, I am still learning how to under VI.

There are some good posts and a couple of downloadedable files that can help at least with how it was done under MTW.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

No slavs in Vikings

No picts in MTW

Could this be your problem?

LK

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

2 Slav units in Vikings, Slav Warriors and Slav Javelinmen
    Taking life one day at a time!

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ May 12 2003,14:54)]2 Slav units in Vikings, Slav Warriors and Slav Javelinmen
    Not linked with pictish faction then maybe?

I'd be surprised if is.

LK

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I managed to get them in a while back. A note of importance: ALWAYS get rid of the word MUSLIM if you're trying to put a unit from the main game (like SlavInfantry)into the Viking one. Although only simple, I've so far added the following units into Viking:

Mad Bastards (Bezerkers)
    Pictish Infantry (SlavInfantry)
    Lindisfarne Monks (souped up Sherwood Foresters)
    Highland Cavalry (Alan Mercenary Cavalry)
    Scottish Pikeman (Pikeman)
    Welsh Longbowmen (Longbowmen)
    Welsh Spearmen (Almughavars)
    Leinster Tribesmen (Ghazi Infantry)
    Saxon Heavy Infantry (Janissary Heavy Infantry)
    Anglo-Danish Warriors (Housecarle/Viking)
    Romano-British Infantry (Chivalric Sergaents)
    Romano-British Cavalry (Armenian Heavy Cavalry)
    Hebredian Mercenaries (Swabian Swordsmen)
    Mannish Mercenaries (Topless Trebizond Archer I'm working on)

I know some are outlandish, but who's complaining? I'm just starting out remember but have managed to change a few items, like giving the Romano British Infantry Pavise Arbelasters shields.