Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Movie

To CA:

Is it possible to make a little utility available that will convert a battle save file into a movie (mpg, preferably)?

Sometimes it's just not possibly to watch a battle, 'cause you're at work and you have MTW installed at home, or you just want to show how an MTW battle is fought to a friend or coworker and you dont have an easy way to do it.

What do you guys think?

Al Shama'ar

Amateurs talk Tactics, Professionals talk Logistics

Hmmm, this was asked not too long ago. I don't think there was an answer to the question.
    This space intentionally left blank

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Would be cool if they implemented a conversion feature like that into RTW...

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

Surely there is a screen capture program that does motion clips. Anyone know of one ? We could then record while playing, and view later in .avi .mpg etc..
    A Gamecenter with a dedicated Total War fanbase!
    Check out our Facebook!
    Email: shahed@outpost.be

just take a lot of screenshots and make a .gif animation
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Al Shama'ar @ May 22 2003,05:27)]Sometimes it's just not possibly to watch a battle, 'cause you're at work and you have MTW installed at home, or you just want to show how an MTW battle is fought to a friend or coworker and you dont have an easy way to do it.

Al Shama'ar
    Naughty naughty Trying to watch MTW battles while at work What would your boss think? Oops, here comes my boss, Got to go....

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

ive been thinking of making a MTW movie... but the oly way i can think of so far is by using a video camera
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Quote[/b] (Sjakihata Akechi @ May 22 2003,14:46)]just take a lot of screenshots and make a .gif animation
    Check out our Facebook!

thnx for volunteering Alrowan,

just pass the camera around

Al Shama'ar

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Some of our more-talented graphics guys have been discussing this in the Tavern, here:
    http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=7144

Apparently taking 100's of screenies & pasting them together isn't as silly as it sounds.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

thnx Kukri

Quote[/b] ]Apparently taking 100's of screenies & pasting them together isn't as silly as it sounds.
    No, but, apparently, a lot of hard work. (No pain, no gain, right?)
    Until some enlightened mind finds a more automated way of doing all that stuff, i guess we're stuck.

Al Shama'ar

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

it's easily possible with a prog that can record the screen while you're actually playing - then just convert/export it as a flash file. adobe premiere works. i'm seriously busy but i might try and get around to it in a month of so just to show you. but something like this goes beyond a five-minute committment, if you were thinking of it as something quick to do.

That's exactly what I was talking about Soly. I think there are also some programs that can motion capture what is happeneing on your screen. I will loook for a guy from an IL-2 forum who made this neat movie called requiem. He may know a prog for this.
    Check out our Facebook!

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

first off, the replay files are not video files, they are essentially control code files, from my understanding of what CA has told us. in other words, they dont actually capture any video, they only record control codes. when you play back a capture file, these control codes are used to re-enact the battle through the game and essentially re-enact the battle, not replay it. thus, taking just the file and converting it to an .avi or .mpeg would be almost impossible. it just wouldnt work.

what you'd need is a camcorder of some kind and just point it at the screen while the replay is replaying, or, an s-vidoe out and send it to your tivo or vhs recorder and then play that back as a capture file into the computer, or, a program that worked in the background that was like a constant print screen thing or F2, recording so many frames per second or whatnot. you might also be able to do a thing thru a tv out that simply inputted directly back into the computer, but that gets a bit trickier.

this is actually old technology and been around since the 8 bit days. we'd take a rf converter and plug the computer into the tv, record it on a vcr, then play the vcr back into the computer and capture it that way. with today's tv tuner cards and s-video in and out, i would think that would be the easiest way, especially if you had something like tivo that can capture and store digitally. heck, you might even be able to simply route it to your harddrive or a second harddrive as the capture, or, if you have computers networked, route it to another computer on your network. oh, and this could get even slicker if you have broadband; route it to a server on the internet and then download it back to yourself ;)

what i did with this one was to simply take a bunch of F2's and convert them to .gif files and then link them all together with animation shop 3. simple stuff.

K.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

wow.. that looks awesome

now the tirck is to do it while units move
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Sinan

any news on that motion capture software?

soly

i'm prepared to spend some time doing this stuff, it just doesn't appeal to me hitting F2 (hundreds, thousands of times) while fighting a battle.
    That motion capture software would do the trick, though

Anyway, thnx for ur assistance and ideas

Al Shama'ar

PS: If anything new comes up, feel free to let me know.

Hello to all,

I have read what you have been busy about and I was thinking about a solution. I came up with the program Snagit. This program can take snapshots of any picture on the window. I searched deeper into the subject and there is indeed a program which can capture like a video what is happening on your screen. It is called: Camtasia Studio. Look at the website of http://www.techsmith.com about the programs snagit and Camtasia studio.

Good luck to you all.
    Life is too short to make discussion. So I am always right!

thnx m8

i'm d/l(ing) Camtasia Studio this very moment. Hope it works when I get home. i just have some doubts about MTW's environment not being a native~Windows one.

Well, we'll see...

Again, thnx for taking the time to help

Al Shama'ar

Hi, long time lurker first time poster

There is also a program called Hypercam Hypercam

which is another screen capture utility similar to Camtasia.It saves your clips in AVI format which you can then edit in something like Jasc Animation Shop etc.
    Also if you have Windows Movie Maker you can then set a sequence of clips in whatever order you wish and add a suitable soundtrack to compliment your masterpiece and then save as a Windows Media file playable thru Windows Media Player (believe it or not ).
    There can be a lot of trial and error in setting things up to your satisfaction but it can be worth it in the end.

Prior to the release of IL2Forgotten Battles, the developers of that game held a Fans Movie Making contest and some of the movies were outstanding pieces of work, I mention this as IL2 uses the same sort of system as MTW for saved replays and the same sort of principles apply in making movies of both games replays.

and a link to a Full length Windows Media file.
    * edited out movie* Click on the picture to start the movie in Windows Media Player.Its a 6.5MB file so 56k'ers beware.
    That was a poor first attempt but with a little more patience and time , the results get a lot lot better.

If you are lucky enough to have a digital camcorder I'm positive there is a way to record your replays direct to your camera and then back to your PC for editing.A few guys at the Il2 contest made their movies that way but I am unsure of the exact method that way.

Hope that may be of some help also.

Edited by Gregoshi: fixed Hypercam link.

Thumbs up

Another good program for screen capture is Fraps from Fraps.

Nice smooth results with this program.

Thank you for de-lurking Eyeswater and sharing that with us. That looks great.

Thanks for the contribution and welcome to the posting side of the Org.

good stuff, guys. i've downloaded both fraps and hypercam. might try them out. (mostly, i'm just a packrat that has all sorts of non-installed stuff lying around :)

K.

Thx Gregoshi for both the welcome and for fixing the Hypercam link. I am by no means an expert at making the movies but since I've gleaned a fair bit of info on MTW from these boards I kinda felt honour bound to return the favour (so to speak) as best as I could.

I would recommend Fraps over Hypercam myself after doing some fooling around with it last night.Fraps seemed to give a better recording all round and without the need to edit out blank frames which Hypercam generates occasionally.
    That said tho' an Animation program is handy to crop your frames down to an acceptable size(as it records in 640 x 4--?) to help reduce the final file size.
    I will try to upload a couple of small MTW clips onto my webspace sometime soon so those who are interested in this kind of thing can get an idea of what its (Fraps) capable of and a complete step by step process from start to finish on how to do it and the programs used etc.

That would be great Eyeswater.

I had downloaded Fraps a couple of years ago but never did anything with it. I thought it just told you your frames per second while playing a game. Now I know better.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread, Ive been hard at work with a couple of things but here is a movie of whats possible.
    MTW Movie
    Click the MTW screenshot to start the WMV movie in Windows Media Player.It is a 10.8mb file so 56k'ers beware, alternatively right click the screenshot and choose Save Target as to download the movie if you prefer.

Sometime tomorrow I will post the list of programs I used and the steps I used to create this movie and some of the pitfalls to avoid.
    With a bit more time+patience the quality could be a whole lot better but all will be explained tomorrow.
    If anyone watches the movie feel free to give an opinion, good or bad, any help and advice is gratefully accepted.

Exclamation

That was great I take it the Spanish king fell to longbowmen/archers? Very nice work Eyeswater.

Thumbs up

You guess correct on the Longbowmen But only after the Billmen had done their bit too

Thx for your kind words

very nice and i look forward to your explanation of tools and techniques. only thing i saw was the clarity could stand to be a bit sharper, but nice editing otherwise. good variety of shots and movement. i'd have gone for something more along the lines of a heavy german march for music, but that's just a personal choice ;) love stuff like this.

K.

This is excellent And personally, I like the choice of music, as it gives a barmy feel to the slaughter.
    Great work
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

That music made it a 10 I don't know if you edited to match the music but there's a part in in where the lone enemy general starts running away while the music plays: Over the hill, Over the Hill and then he's shot dead and it goes Huraa Huraa

And thanks for the link to capture program

Cheers, Duke John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast