Thread: how survive a siege?

Question

Hi all,

i like as hell resist a siege with the garrison , but when an enemy army conquer my province and my man retreat to the castle happen that the food storage is too low and in a couple of years the castle is lost without battle.

Sinc ein Vikings the sieges are become more interesting (due to the loss of man by attacker), how i can improve my storage?
    Depends on how many men i've in the castle or how many harvest improve i have in the province? (20% 40%) . it depends on how many improve you do at the cstle (like courtain or ballista?)

i've notice that all is random (sometime resist 5 years, other time 2, other time forever)
    I also see an interesting virtue that give +2 year at siege of some general.

any clue?
    Thanx for reply.

LRossaRikimaru Doge del Canavese et Principe di Carcano

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

The only way is to have a smaller force as the garrisson of the province...

If u have a large army in a province as many as can get in the castle will retreat to it (if you select that option) the rest will retreat to another province.

The only way to have a good holdout time is to leave a small garrisson in your castles. (but that will increase the chances that the AI will assault the castle, since the AI now does this in VI)

So bit of a situation there... Best advice is to make sure your never put into a siege situation, and that if you are always counterattack the following year

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

The only way i knew for increasing the storage food for castle is to improve their defences (castle level). Bigger tower and dungeon = bigger storage space.

Also the number of garison men in the castle have an impact on how long they can stand a seige. Very small garison ( 1-12 men ) can stand forever in keep and better.

I can give you a hit:
    If you have a large number of men in the castle do sucidal attack on the beseiger to lower the number of men in your castle ( watch out not to loose all your men&#33 this way they will be fewer mouth to feed any this will give you enought time to rise an army to break the seige.

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts.

Red face

grrr... The_Emperor beat me on this one by 4 minute... but my advice is better
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Melvish @ May 23 2003,10:43)]grrr... The_Emperor beat me on this one by 4 minute... but my advice is better
    Sorry Lord Melvish, i guess we are both too eager to offer advice

Smaller Garisson - larger castle... same ratio really.
    Both require vast amounts of unused garrisson space to increase siege holdout time (or a general with a Skilled Siege Defender Vice/Virtue)
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Be sure to put a very loyal general in charge if you go the small garrison fewer mouths to feed route.

The fewer the men, the smaller the bribe needed to take over the castle. I don't know if the AI bribes castle commanders or not, though.

Also, I wonder if spys have more chance of success for opening the castle gates if there are fewer men in the garrison?
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

thx all for reply.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The only problem about being besieged with a small garrison is the fact that the enemy likes to assault the castle when you are weak on defending forces. I like how the AI determines when it is a good time to siege and when it isnt