Thread: Question about Projectilestats.txt

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Since I cant post in the Dungeon, I may as well try my luck here...

Is it possible to edit the Projectilestats.txt file to add a new projectile? I want to create a mod that adds a new Welsh Longbowmen unit which has an increased range as opposed to the normal Longbow unit, and was thinking of adding welsh_longbow into the Projectilestats.txt file, but how do I add a new unit to use this new projectile?
    I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to adding new units.

Hello kekvitirae Welcome to the Orgpatronstat.txt. As you can attest, we can add new patrons to this file. However, I'm not a modder so I can only give a flaky answer to your Projectilestat.txt question. On second thought, I'll not confuse the issue by giving what is most likely a wrong answer. If no one pops in here with an answer by the end of the day, we'll move your question to the Dungeon forum.
    This space intentionally left blank

I'm an old timer (somewhat) of the official boards, and already have a unit/building mod out ( http://pub24.ezboard.com/fshogun....9.topic ), but I keep getting error units when building new units, which sucks because I want to add the Welsh Longbows and French Cavalry to the lineup

From what little I gather from all the mod talk that goes on around here, adding some thing new to one of the txt files is usually more like replacing one item in the file with the new one.

Is there a reason you just don't change the longbow stats to your liking? Or do you want to have a superior longbow for the Welshmen?
    This space intentionally left blank

I want to give the English a second Longbow unit. One with half the historical range (the original, unmodded Longbow, which reaches ~150 meters), and one with historical range of up to 300, but with reduced accuracy. The normal Longbowmen can be trained anywhere, which is good for armies on the go. The Welsh Longbowmen are a little unbalanced in the range, but it balances out by the fact that you can only build them in Wales.

It's like the pikemen. You can build normal, inferior pikemen everywhere, but you need to control and hold Switzerland to churn out the vastly superior Swiss Armoured Pikemen.

Besides, I'm a big fan of Longbow units (that, and I'm a bow hunter in RL), and I want to see how many variations of a bow I can make.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

You cant add any new missile weapons.

You can edit the ninjastar as that is not IIRC used by any units right now. Thinks its hardcoded as a bow so it will give the proper graphics (firing an arrow)

CBR

Oh yes and just put NINJ in the projectile weapon column instead of LONG. Think thats about it.

CBR

Interesting...
    Is it possible to add new units to the game? I tried redoing the stats of the DarkAgeKnights into FrenchFeudalKnights to match what I want, but the gam crashes when I select the Knights tab in the custom game to test it.

Yes you can add units. But it needs more then just adding an entry in the unit stat txt file. Check The Dungeon for more details. The faq should provide some links I think.

CBR

I've browsed in and around the FAQs, but all I could see was a way of adding flags and suchs. Oh well, the search continues...

I hope to not muddy the waters any more, but I use the GnomeEditor that is avaible from the download page. Unless you add new graphics you can copy an existing entry and then just rename it. It should help you to add the unit your looking for. It doesn't change the projectile file but you can then go into that and add the proper info. I know this is easy to do with the new viking expansion. Not sure on the orginal.

I use the Gnome editor too. The problem I see is that I cant easily copy lines using it, having to open up two copies as a time and transfer each column from one program to another by hand, column by column.
    When I do this, I get an Invalid Unit Type error like this when I start my game to test the new unit.

No you cant just rename a unit in the crusader unit prod file. The game will look for that name in other files and will come up with an error when it cant find them.

You CAN give units other names. Thats located in Loc\Eng folder NAMES.txt

CBR

Sweet. I've been spending the last few hours making new units by replacing unused VI units. Thanks ^_^

The way to learn how to add units is to do a search for all examples of an existing unit in the total war directory on your hard drive, so you see what files you have to add your new entries to. Of course, Lord Krazy has already created about 60 new units to download from the .org you can add to the game, so you might want to check to see if one of these will work for you. I would recommend NOT creating any new unit animations and using the existing ones (unless you REALLY LIKE spending endless time messing around with graphics programs). There are a significant number of txt files to modify and that's enough work (at least for me)

BTW: Didn't VI increase the number of projectile slots for use in modding? Or did I get that wrong?
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Yes VI added 2 more javelin like missile weapons: dart and heavy spear. But they will not look like arrows when used in game, thats hardcoded. Of course if that doesnt bother you..

CBR

Yeah, I suddenly realized right after posting my last message that renaming and overwriting VI units is a BAD thing, especially if you want to play a VI campaign. So I downloaded the IrishMod to see how greasepaintmonkeybrains (wtf?) added the new units. Once I got a solid grasp of what to edit and add, I now have a collection of new units:
    The Welsh Longbowmen, the French Chivalric Knights, the French Feudal Knights, and the Lithuanian Scouts.
    I'm happy ^_^