Thread: SP Full Campaign Difficulty Ranking

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

(For the new Warlord Ed. campaigns)

I know this ranking existed in old STW, so how about we also make a discussion here. Many of you might not play campaign a lot, but just in case there are SP campaign lovers like myself

Please allow me to make a simple start. Due to the bad old STW war story habit, I've only played expert campaigns so far

[1530] * = easy, ***** = hard

Oda - ***** Ronins surrounding and they are very united. Horrible monks in Ise and Yamashiro ready anytime to counter attack. Argh~~!

Takeda - *** With the initial advantage in troops (calvary), should be able to finish Hojo and Uesugi fast. Then Takeda is rich!

Hojo - ** Knock out Uesugi first, and Takeda is never a big deal (those proud cavalry will come to us in the forest!).

Uesugi - (corrected) **** Quite hard as the initial army was SO small (only half as much as neighbors). However, the ronins do not contain monks and Hojo / Takeda usually busy fighting each other.

Imagawa - *** Not tried yet. Should not be hard once defense of Shinano is solidified (?) The eastern threats are too small to become a problem as long as proper alliances are maintained.

Shimazu - ** Not tried yet. No serious competition. However, the AI seems to be doing a horrible job managing the revolts.

[1550]

Uesugi - * Still very easy. Uesugi Kenshin is invincible on the battlefield, plus the rich resources.

Mori - **** Pretty hard to expand due to financial difficulties. The united ronins in Kinki (Kyoto area) is a big obstacle.

Oda - ***** Not tried yet. Having the same territory as in 1530, should be still very hard.

Takeda - *** Not tried yet. Should be more difficult as the neighbors has grown strong. But we have Takeda Shingen!

Hojo - * Not tried yet. More richer lands now, should be very easy.

Shimazu - ** Not tried yet. Should be similar to 1530?

Imagawa - **** Not tried yet. Should be similar to 1530?

[1580]

Imagawa - ***** Quite a struggle to win! Most challenging scenario in 1580?

Shimazu - ** Mori is a totaly crap. Might want to take Hizen as soon as possible. It is possible to take it in the first season!

Uesugi - **** Not tried yet, but very extended defense line.

Hojo - ** Not tried yet, but very accessible to the rich lands to the east.

Oda - *** Not tried yet. Looks easier but still a lot of threats from ronin.

Mori - *** Not tried yet. Quite isloated from Oda by the ronins, should be easy to take out Shimazu first?

Takeda - ** Not tried yet. AI always give it a good proformance, so should be easier?

---
    There is a "bug" in load game. When we right click on the saved game titles, we will see the years all "offset" to the current scenario of the campaign. For example, playing a 1550 campaign proceeding to 1555, a previously saved 1591 (1580 scenario) campaign becomes 1561.

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 10-03-2001).]

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

I know maltz write some more stories about them, i enjoyed them lots. ( not from the point they are guides disuised to help poor sp players like me)

Yes Maltz are u going to write some more stories on these campaigns.....?????

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

Uesugi - * Not tried yet, but should be among the easiest as the rich north-eastern lands are free to explore

nope m8. . uesugi is very hard in 1530 campain u try it. . i found it challenging!

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally posted by JAG:

nope m8. . uesugi is very hard in 1530 campain u try it. . i found it challenging!
    [/QUOTE]

Hi JAG:

I just tried 1530 Uesugi out. Indeed it is harder than I have thought due to the extreme inferiority in soldier numbers. The "scattered ronins" kept attacking Kozuke, while Hojo and Takeda are immediate threats that must be dealt with asap.

Give it a **** now!

I managed to expand my Uesugi kingdom by the end of the 6th year:

It worked out as follows:

1st year - Kozuke was constantly held by 3 units, led by the heir. Extra money for 2 farm upgrades. Made alliance with Takeda and Hojo.

2nd year - Hojo and Takeda (not allied) attacked Izu the same time, I sneaked on Kai with all I have available, 190 vs. 120. Takeda is neutralized (but it defeated Hojo in Izu)

3rd year - Hojo keeps attacking Takeda's Izu, so I simply sneaked on Sagami. 300 vs. 400, but Hojo was largely ashigaru. Large slaughter. Hojo neutralized.

4, 5th year - Attacked Saruga and Shinano. Imagawa actively came to me in Shinano (me 267 vs. they 420), resulting in their bitter defeat on the left. Went further to Totomi. Demolished its port to avoid Imagawa reinforcement from Kyushu.

6th year - Finished Imagawa and Oda. Oda was busy dealing with the monks in Ise, so I rushed everything to Owari, 460 vs. 420.

Attached is a funny battle I just encountered when I attacked Shimozuke later on. There were only one group of enemy, so I also dispatched one group (to avoid AI retreating, ending up with a huge army in mountains/river).

Mine was 26 YS (H4), he was 36 SA (seems H1). I chased them all the way through the map, very humiliating. Finally they were blocked by the temple and slaughtered right on the wall. Here is the result: 36 vs. 0. Wow.

I just finished the 1530 Uesugi campaign. 1546 Winter, final army of 7053 men.

The game became a east vs. west, while me and Shiamzu were actually allied. The turning point was Uesugi(800)-Shimazu(400)'s grand attack of Kawachi, held by ronins(800). The ronins had loads of archers and some left-over monks from Kinki. Brave Shimazu daimyo led his men over the bridge, ruthlessly showered by arrows. But he also successfully drew enemy to the front, where they are decimated by my ~460 archers waiting along the river bank.

So finally Shimazu daimyo gave up his life, while the enemy was thinned down significantly. I marched over the bridge, take over the rest. Shimazu shattered in pieces of ronins, and all I need to do was to handle one huge group of former Shimazu soldiers. Not nearly half as well-equipped as me.

Then, I conquered the entire western Japan with only 1 battle (the last province, where they cannot retreat).

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

Have you played both the Hojo vs. the Mongols and the Mongols vs. the Hojo? What did you think about it as version 1.0 - and if you have it, with 1.01 installed?

With the 1.01 patch, I found the Mongols vs. the Hojo campaigns - playing as the Mongols, to be a pushover. I was able to mop up the Hojo in every battle and every siege by a ratio of 10 to 1 up to 100 to 1. That's Japanese dead to my Mongol's dead.

As the Hojo vs. the Mongols, I had a totally different game. I lost almost every engagement that I tried to "auto-resolve", even when I oputnumbered them 10 to 1. I had to fight out every battle or I would lose it on the field if auto-resolved. The ratio of japs killed vs. mongols when playing as the hojo was 1 to 5 up to 3 to 1. That's quite a difference!
    I've actually lost a couple fair matches against the Mongols as the Hojo! Gerr...I never lose otherwise!

The changes to the Morale and the Honor as it affects the battles and routing makes it very much like the old STW, but the Mongols are still oppressive in the SP campaigns.

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

maltz U R THE MAN!

i can't even get close

but i see u did get some luck there

------------------
    LOL The immortal Phrase!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Hi Jag:

Yes luck is very important There are a few general tricks though:

1. Supposedly there are two provinces owned by an AI bordering us, A and B. A huge garrison is in A, while a small garrison is in B. Then very likely, the AI is going to move a large number to B this season.

2. Switch of alliances. Seems now AI love a cease-fire more. So as long as the enemy is no longer immediately bordered, case fire and make alliance. They can then help us attack the provinces we need.

3. The AI loves to abandon the province or retreat into the castle. So we can use an OVERWHELMING number of troops to attack tough places such as Kaga. AI will retreat without a fight, leaving a huge number of monks starved to death in the castle.

4. If attack with a "weaker" but more honored troop, the AI will actively march towards us! A defense is 2 times easier than an assault.

I have found a 1530 Takeda campaign on expert to be fairly easy so far. Although, both Musashi and Kai, my home province, were lost and had to be retaken. I used the strategy of abandoning Takeda's western provinces. I eliminated Hojo, Uesugi and Imagawa in that order. Oda went down early on to ronins I think. His provinces were still all ronin when I swept through. Mori must be busy with Shimazu because I just took Kawachi from him with only token resistance. Normally, in STW, I would have encountered a Mori horde by now. I applied the v1.01 patch in the middle of this campaign, and haven't noticed any change in the way the battles play except for the reinforcements. I don't know the year off hand, but I have a slow methodical approach to the campaign game, and I have more koku than I know what to do with. I'm going to make a geshia to protect aginst that threat because that's about the only way I could loose at this point.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Maltz, I have a question. In the 1580 campaign, isn't Imagawa replaced by Tokugawa?
    What provinces do they hold?

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

For Shimazu 1530 i think you need negative scores, it's ludicrously simple.

------------------
    Oderint dum metuant
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Quote Originally posted by Matsudaira Motoyasu:
    Maltz, I have a question. In the 1580 campaign, isn't Imagawa replaced by Tokugawa?
    What provinces do they hold?
    [/QUOTE]

I think they are Migawa, Totomi, and Hizen. (maybe plus Sagami?)

Last night I finally played all campaigns through (the new WE ones). Here comes a more updated version of my ratings (on expert). The ratings does not reflect how much time I use to finish the campaigns (ranging from 9 to 20 years), but on the difficulty of battles.

[1530 Scenarios] Finished in 15 - 20 years.

Uesugi (***) Only half army size compared to the neighbors. While constantly defending from ronin invasions of Kozuke, Uesugi needs to compete with Takeda and Hojo. Fortunately, the two clans will engage in Izu fast - and it is possible to sneak on to a rather empty homebase.

Hojo (*) Heavy yari army composition allowing a first-season defeat of Takeda in Kai. Also, Uesugi's low in number and their worries back in Kozuke makes Musashi an easy prey.

Takeda (**) A strongly biased cavalry to start - making defeating the yari Hojo quite difficult but still possible.

Imagawa (**) The neighbors are not strong enough to be a threat. Takeda can be handled soon in the forests of Shinano or Kai.

Oda (****) Strong, united ronins surrounding. However, with Ise conquered in the first season, the rest should not be a very difficult problem.

Shimazu (**) A rather large battle against the ronins on northern Kyushu - then the rest will be easy.

[1550 Scenarios] Finihsed in 10 - 15 years.

Uesugi (**) Still severe inferiority in troop numbers. However, Uesgui Kenshin (R6) has a huge bonus on the battlefield.

Hojo (*) Lots of cash!

Takeda (**) Still, lots of cavalry to start. Fortunately Naginata prevails against YS, so it is still possible to do some big land-grab on the east.

Imagawa (***) Still, there will soon be a tough battle against Takeda Shingen. It is still very possible to win in the forests.

Oda (****) The ronins are still powerful - but with Ise taken in the first season, Yamashiro should be fallen in a few more.

Mori (*****) Powerful ronins in Izumo, Bizen, and also the quick rising Shimazu threatening the back. One of the most challenging scenarios!

Shimazu (***) Very safe to develop, but there will be some huge struggles facing the well developed eastern clans laster on.

[1580 Scenarios] Finished in 9 - 13 years.

Uesugi (**) The battle in Dewa and Mutsu are easier than imagined. Lots of good monks to start. Making a lot of yari troops makes defeating Hojo and Takeda easy.

Hojo (**) Still easy. The north-eastern clans always enjoy the resources which is exaggerated in STW.

Takeda (**) With its good position and army size, it is very possible to raid the neighbors' heart province and sell everything early on, hence neutralizing their threat.

Tokugawa (***) Taking out Takeda in Shinano fast (still, in the forests), then the rest will be easy. Might want to give up Hizen of Kyushu fast!

Oda (*****) Insane monks and archers still exist, in full upgrades, in Kawachi. Constant eastern border assaults from allied BN and cavalry...

Mori (****) Poor generals, poor economy. The clans in the east are inevitable great threats.

Shimazu (***) Mori is too poor to be a problem. It is possible to unite Kyushu in the first season.

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 10-23-2001).]

I believe the Hojo clan starts from the best position. At least, the most shocking encounter I had was, when playing with the Mori clan, to have to defend the province of Echizen from Lord Hojo's 32 armies. No other clan has mustered such an huge army against a province of mine!
    Um Oriente a oriente do Oriente- Fernando Pessoa

"An East to the East of the East"

Maltz, I have another question regarding Imagawa/Tokugawa in WE/MI.
    What is their strategic advantage? In STW they had cheaper Ninja and Shinobi, although compared to other clans advantages (cheaper cavalry, archers, monks, etc.), it wasn't that usefull.

Maltz, I have another question regarding Imagawa/Tokugawa in WE/MI.
    What is their strategic advantage?
    [/QUOTE]

Hm if you really want one the strategic advantage of Imagawa / Tokugawa is that you can take some important provinces of neighbor clans very early in the game.

Owari is sometimes very defenseless. Imagine how much you can sell Shinano and Kai both has some forests, so beating the mighty Takeda cavalry (who will come to you!) is not daydream. By neutralizing neighbor clans early and take their heart provinces, Imagawa / Tokugawa can soon be rich enough to grab the entire north-eastern Japan. Might want to ally with Uesugi to take out Hojo first

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 10-28-2001).]

So, nothing like cheaper Battlefield Ninjas or other units?
    I thought Imagawa/Tokugawa would have cheaper BN since from what I've read on some posts, Tokugawa has a habit of training plenty of them.

So, nothing like cheaper Battlefield Ninjas or other units?
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, 25% off. You get a dozen of them for 450 koku.

I didn't consider it as a real bonus as if you count the money you save, it is only 200s (plus Shinobi) koku per year compared to 500+ koku for other clans.

Maltz, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Mori 1550 campaign. I've played it twice on expert, and noted the following:

1. A very agressive stance encounters little resistance, allowing the annihilation of ronin armies by 1560 at the latest.

2. Shimazu, if left alone until then, proves to be a paper tiger and folds in a few seasons.

3. After that, the eastern clans can be simply outspent.

Overall, I found this campaign much less challenging than the Oda campaigns, about which we are in complete agreement.