Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: I will or will not buy Rome Total War

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Add Black Isle (RPG division of Interplay) to the list of companies with good post-patch bugfixing and additions.

Also Bioware.
    Yes, black isle is good and bioware is an old timer company. They know what have kept them afloat when so many didn't.
    Legacy for the airwaves.

I have HoI and I didn't notice any bugs playing as Germany.

Quote[/b] (Praylak @ July 09 2003,09:55)]I can't believe they won't eventually fix MTW:VI. Unless CA posted it and I missed it somewhere.
    Just to be curious, I´d like to hear what are those horrible bugs in VI?? No offense, I just really hasn´t notice or find many of them.. Unless that 56-old thing.

Yup, the patch would be nice, but still, there are so many other games with so many bugs.. MTW is still quite good. Allmost good enough
    -Pakkanen kesyttää nudistin-

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Along the same lines of Knight Keino - anyone care to explain the "quick save" bug? I tried to save between battles last night and found the quick save slot would not load (dumped to desktop).

Keimo, there is the 5 years old bug, there is the quicksave between battles bug where the game wont load and it crashes, and heres te reinforcements screen bug whre only cavary on fist no matter what order you put reinforcements in on the screen. Even one critical bug is too many, and VI has three, and all three sabotage new features whic would make you want to buy VI.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Posted by Frankymole in the entrance hall;

Quote[/b] ]Latest responses from the Activision forum/customer care:

Customer - 07/06/2003 07:49 AM
    "Kings die at 56.

No matter what the faction, faction leaders inevitably die at the age of 56, without exception. This is a problem if they have not fathered an heir by the age of 39 - some of the A.I. factions have lapsed into rebellions this way.

Is there going to be a fix for this?

Response (Raymond Wong) - 07/06/2003 07:54 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for contacting Activision Customer Support. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion.

We are aware of this issue and looking into it. Currently, there is no way to prevent this from happening."

--
    "Q:The bug that kills all Kings at age 56 is making the game unplayable. Other factions are simply unable to compete and keep dissolving into civil war. Can you please give an idea when a patch, even a small interim one, can be released?"

Response (Christopher O'Neill) - 07/11/2003 12:46 PM
    "Hi,

Thanks for contacting Customer Support. I'm sorry you are having a gameplay issue with Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion expansion.

I suggest that you download the latest patch for Medieval: Total War if you have not already done so. You can get that here:

/activision.custhelp.com/...atches.php

Unfortunately, we do not know what will be included in future versions of the game.

I suggest that you take any suggestions to the forums on www.totalwar.com ."

NB it is not advisable to load the v.1 MTW patch over VI -- the advice given above contradicts advice given elsewhere by Activision.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence does it?
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Why won't they just make a patch??? The 56 year bug is so annoying that I can't force myself to play a campain for more than an hour.
    Patch Viking Invasion Now

I don't get why they are so mysterious about it... if they ARE going to release a patch then why can't they just tell us? Or is that a big secret or something. They can say that the bugs are there but nothing on releasing a patch...???
    Guess a very obvious explanation is that there ISN'T gonna be a patch... very lame.

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

they should warn about the bugs before selling a product... well im warned and wont buy either viking invasion or rome (i will get them in some way though...)
    Patch Viking Invasion Now

Quote[/b] ]I don't get why they are so mysterious about it... if they ARE going to release a patch then why can't they just tell us?
    I guess that not telling us means that they are not working on it. This way they can fool a couple more peeps in buying it, since there is no final "we won't do it" answer. 5 years from here you can ask "when is it going to be a patch for VI?" and they will still answer:

"Hi, thanks for contacting Activision Customer Support. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion.We are aware of this issue and looking into it. Currently, there is no way to prevent this from happening."
    Legacy for the airwaves.

Quote[/b] (Portuguese Rebel @ July 15 2003,21:18)]
    Quote[/b] ]I don't get why they are so mysterious about it... if they ARE going to release a patch then why can't they just tell us?
    I guess that not telling us means that they are not working on it. This way they can fool a couple more peeps in buying it, since there is no final "we won't do it" answer. 5 years from here you can ask "when is it going to be a patch for VI?" and they will still answer:

"Hi, thanks for contacting Activision Customer Support. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion.We are aware of this issue and looking into it. Currently, there is no way to prevent this from happening."
    Well, even worse, there are probably people still believing them

Maybe that's the problem. They're just LOOKING at the problem. They aren't really attempting to fix it.

VI is good. I like it. Compared to many other games, VI is a perfect system, as far as bugs go. There are not too many debilitating things besides the 56 bug. Custom battles work perfectly, and some errors such as the alliance whichfactionisit glitches really don't have an impact because that deals with diplomacy, which we all acknowledge is not very useful in VI. In reality, we may be choking our own fan base by discouraging others from buying VI and then not buying Rome. Fan base will be in the shits if no one plays the game anymore. If it reaches that point, than this whole conversation will be moot. My advice to the cautious ones:

Don't listen to all of the "VI is so bugged its unplayable" hype. If you find a copy on sale, or at a reasonable price, go ahead. Buy it. You might be surprised (for the better).
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

I agree. Of course the game is still playable, even if you take this bug into account. But it is still a bug and it can be a rather irritating one I can imagine... Now Activision/CA KNOW about this bug, so why don't they just make a patch for it, or AT LEAST admit they are NOT going to release a patch for it...

If they say they are not going to make a patch people at least know what to expect from VI... a game with some bug in it (minor for some, major for others). Now they don't say anything at all...

I don't have VI, and I am not planning to buy it at full price (especially with the bug in it). I might get it when the price drops.

As for RTW... I would probably not be able to contain myself when that hits the shelves... but it better not be having bugs in it (or else some quick patches).

Therein lies the rub, Apache. There will ALWAYS be bugs in every new game. We know it and it's an acceptable risk. However, we expect the bugs to be addressed. Usually, they are, as game commpanies know their customers expect it. In this case, we've been shown by experience that there will be limited support for the game. When you say, there better not be bugs or else quick patches, what indication do you have there will be? Have you not seen proof there won't be?

I do not want to boycott CA and not buy a game that by all indication will be very cool. However, I know no way of showing my displeasure over the lack of support for the games I enjoy so much. I believe in CA's games, enough that I want them to be as good as they can be. I feel I have higher expectations for CA than they have for themselves.
    It's a good thing that war is so horrible or we would grow to love it too much.

If they came right out and said "we are making a patch", then they would be hounded to death for a release date. Fact is we don't know whats going on behind the curtains at CA, and Activision is staying hush.

The King death bug is a drag on the end product to an extent. They know this and can't be satisfied with leaving it as is. Everything in my gut tells me a patch will be made.

Well, they can at least give some indication IF they are releasing a patch...

Well, I am gonna buy RTW, and yes, of course there are going to be bugs in it. But if CA/Activision won't patch VI and they won't give some decent support for RTW then that is gonna be the last of my money CA/Activision will ever see.

But for now... GIVE ME RTW

Yesss patch on the way
    Just goes to show that if enough people enough in a constructive manner, it gets results.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

it was very frustrating to read this and similar threads while knowing there was a highly likely chance of a patch forthcoming. the last few weeks were agony for the Org staff.

good work, guys.

happy to say, thread closed

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112