Thread: 2 questions

1. Will the Gnome's unit editor work with VI? After I did the search, I've found conflicting opinions - some people say yes, some say no.

2. Is it possible to make all javelinthrowers default to engage at will instead of skirmish? That's how I use them, and I guess it would be better for the AI to use them like that - something like the legionaires throwing the pila and jumping into the fray. Actually, would they use the missiles at all if they are set to engage at will, or just behave as if they wield the swords only?
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Dont know about the second one, but the first is a resounding yes from me.

Ok, thanks for the reply

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Just remember that the Gnome editor will edit the build_prod, unit_prod, and projectilestats files of all three games (MTW, MTW:VI, and Vikings Campaign) and nothing else. Use Notepad to change the other files like the campmap\startpos\ files. Of course, this is assuming you dont know about modding...
    Modders tend to change the files a bit, and thus you are hit or miss when editing those files. KekvitMod files are editable in Gnome, while WesW's MedMod (2.01 No Units) build_prod arent. Havent exactly found out why...

Well, I don't know anything about modding, as I'm usually too anxious about messing things up to fiddle with the files. I would, however, want to make a few minor changes about units, unit requirements, make rebel-only buildable, and change eras in which some units are available. But that's it, and as far as I was able to tell, Gnome's editor would be the easiest way to do that.
    Thanks again for your replies.

I have a question about Gnome editor, if somebody would be kind to answer, I'm working with it for the first time. What does "This column is linked from Linked To worksheet, which is itself linked to the summary and unit def sheets. Please edit the factors there" mean exactly? What worksheet, and where is it located?
    Thanks

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Cool

You might want to read the pinned thread by Lord Gnome himself here in the dungeon. As far as the "linked to" I just ignore that and edit the columns that have that in the heading and it works just fine.
    Taking life one day at a time!

I actually did, but nothing's mentioned about that particular thing (which I now know that it's a part of the orginial file; ah, those newbie mistakes ). And as I said, I'm a bit of a worrying type when it comes to messing things up, so I thought it was better to ask... But, after spending the whole day with modding (for the first time), I feel I'm getting a hang of it. In any case, thanks for the trouble of reassuring me that it's ok.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

No problem mate that what this forum is supposed to be all about. Helping one another when I first came to this forum I knew nothing about the Modding aspect of MTW, a few kind people gave me alot of good advice coupled with all the info contained here st the ORG , and I was hooked on not only the game but what modding has to offer in the way of making a great game that much better and interesting.
    LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!