Thread: Raiding

I need to change my armor Member Sir Robin's Avatar

Question

I have recently been reading a history on the Byzantine Empire.

One thing that caught me by surprise was the frequency of "raids in force."

It seems a variety of kingdoms at the time would invade their neighbors for loot and plunder instead of attempting to take and hold territory.

Byzantine, Saracen, and Bulgar armies would lay waste to the countryside, plunder, and take captives back to their home lands.

Did this happen in Roman times as well?

Since provinces will apparently still be included would raids be possible?

IIRC several of Romes "barbaric" neighbors conducted raids into northern italy.

It would be an interesting feature if the player and AI factions would attack your provinces not to conquer them but for looting them instead.

Of course this depends on the number of cities and how CA will place farms, villages, mines, and/or ports around provinces/cities.

Raiding became an important source of income for these kingdoms and could be a way for the AI to supplement its income, if it still fails to properly establish and maintain trade routes.

It could also create some interesting scenarios where you are trying to protect a mine/farm from being destroyed instead of just protecting a city from being captured.
    Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

great idea.
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

There will be no provinces... Those thiongs on the minimap in the teaser video are just country brders...

But there ARE cities you could raid.

Maybe when you lay siege to a city and you rampage through the streets (or maybe just the surrounding settlements outside the walls?) you would get the usual MTW prisoner counter at the bottom left corner. Except this time execution wouldn't be the only option. There could be another button that had a picture of some hands being bound, meaning that those prisoners will be taken back to the cohort/town/Empire. And the next year, your armies would recieve a free (meaning you didn't have to spend all that money paying them since they're already pretty much trained) manpower increase that was equal to that number captured (or just a percentage of it). I think it should be in there.
    "I do not deny myself the pleasure of women, Mandrake. However, I do deny them my essence."

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

I hope i can take prisoners as slaves and sell them
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Yeah and we should get the option of buying the "barbarians" off like Rome did in the time of Callimus.

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Faisal that certainly should be an option with the prisoners of war at least. In the Roman era, prisoners of war were usually sold to slave traders.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Longshanks @ June 14 2003,19:52)]Faisal that certainly should be an option with the prisoners of war at least. In the Roman era, prisoners of war were usually sold to slave traders.
    Other people apart from war captives were sold as slaves, unless you could say that the civillian populations of the tribes of the Venetti and of the city of Corinth were war captives.

My understanding from what I've read is that since all improvements show up and can be destroyed on the battlemap with appropriate consequences back on the strategy map, you should be able to go into battle near a city & rather than taking the city, just smash stuff up & get booty for it
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

I agree with arssse on this one. For effective raiding rather than get caught up with a city (and possibly an enemy army&#33 you should only be able to destroy and capture people from the countryside.