Thread: Help a n00b out....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First off, great tips on this site. Just started playing STW the other day and really enjoy the game.

One thing that bothers me though. When attacking an adjacent territory it look as if my enemy gets a chance to reinforce his army before the battle takes place. When I'm attacked I don't get the same opportunity.

Example: I'm occupying area 'A' with 420 soldiers. My enemy is occupying area 'B' with 240 soldiers. I click and drag my 420 soldiers into his region. Before the battle takes place I see reinforcements moving in from another one of his regions and the battle ends up being me: 240 against him: 360 or something screwy like that.

Now I can see that actually happening as a person would want to send reinforcements when an enemy moves into their territory. But I can't do the same thing.

When an enemy army moves into my territory I automatically get the 'fight this battle', 'autocalc', or 'abandon province' screen with no chance to reinforce my army in the province.

Am I missing something here? This seems to be a very strong advantage for the computer.

I am playing the original STW v. 1.2 and appreciate any help on this issue.

I think the computer is showing the other clans movements. You made your movements during your turn and the computer is showing the movements they made. Your movements and the AI's happen simultanously.
    A problem I had was I was trying to invade a neighboring province and the enemy would invade from that province to mine and a battle would take place in my province and my invasion force would be defending. This went on for seven consecutive seasons. Finally one season he did not invade and I actually got to attack.

Anjin is correct - all moves are simultaneously resolved - however - it is a known fact that the AI is aware of your moves prior to making its - so it very well may be deciding to "reinforce" its garrison to counter your attack.

Is this "fair" - no. Is it realistic - no. Is it needed - YES. Humans are MUCH more adaptable and clever than ANY programmed AI. As such, be prepared to fight an even battle - or worse be slightly outnumbered. Usually the extra troops dont help that much, once you have a good strong grasp on the 3d battles and how to win.

Have fun.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Quote Originally posted by BSM_Skkzarg:
    Anjin is correct - all moves are simultaneously resolved - however - it is a known fact that the AI is aware of your moves prior to making its - so it very well may be deciding to "reinforce" its garrison to counter your attack.

Is this "fair" - no. Is it realistic - no. Is it needed - YES. Humans are MUCH more adaptable and clever than ANY programmed AI. As such, be prepared to fight an even battle - or worse be slightly outnumbered. Usually the extra troops dont help that much, once you have a good strong grasp on the 3d battles and how to win.

Have fun.
    Qapla!

[/QUOTE]

yup... I usually don't find these reinforcement troublesome to deal w/ ... deploy a balanced force and know the terrain(sp?)... you'll be fine

SlackER ~ Extreme