Thread: Whats the best way to use No-Dachi?

My No-dachi rack up alot of kills on the battlefield but they all get killed too. I frequently have my ND lose at least 30 out of 60 men in battle. I usually keep them out of the battle till my YS and YA are already engaging the enemy and I use them to flank enemy units and add their mass to the YA and YS or I go for SA that are in the enemy's rear. When ever I use them it appears to me that I am using them in an advantagous situation where losses should not be so high. Am I just getting unlucky? Is there another tactic I should try? Is there defensive armor so bad that they just plain take high loses when the engage in combat? Thanks.

flanking is always good...

let them stay away from missle fire...
    SlackER ~ Extreme

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

if you're defending, you can use them help break the enemy charge; just move them in support of your main yari units. I'll see if I can get around to making a screenshot to illustrate some good uses for No Dachi.

I always make sure I keep them out of a frontal assault that would get them shot up by missle fire. Is it just normal for them to take high losses against troops that do not lose morale and actually fight on after they engage?

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

All they wear is a sheet so they are very vulnerable to missile fire. You can train them in a province with an armory though, which will help some. Don't use them against Cav unless you can hit them on the flank or from behind, or in the trees(Cav are vulnerable in the woods). They also are not good defensively, so they will take a lot of casualties, especially when tired or taking on units head on. You seem to be using them right, my ND usually suffer high casualties too, but they are relatively cheap and one of my favorite units.Get them that gold plated armor and legendary swords and they are deadly.

------------------
    Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Well, like I have said I have been trying to avoid missle fire I was just concerned that maybe I was using them wrongly because of the casulties I was taking. I have one of my provinces producing monks with level two weapons and armor, these guys are kicking major butt. I have the same with some Naginta and those guys take everything the computer is throwing at me on defense.

I think usage of ND and Monks are quite similar... since they're both strong H2H units and vulnerable to missile fire... the only dif is MOnks have crazy morale that keeps them on top of all other types of troops...

------------------
    SlackER ~ Extreme
    SlackER ~ Extreme

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Avoid missiles, Cav and Naginata at all costs.

Use them to take care of YS, YA and maybe take on monks from the front if u can win elsewhere or they have a slight advantage (honour, height etc)...Obviously they are great for flanking as they cut units to pieces very quickly.

BTW, what does "H2H" mean?

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Hand-to-hand combat. Although weapons are used in this case...

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

Krast not understand why such question with simple answer gets so much talk going on.

How to use No-Dachi?

Gah! Cut heads off! Gah!

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH! The best use of No-Dachi is to NOT have to use them. Use their presence as a deterrent. The greatest warrior is he who does not have to fight. If hostilies break out, arguably, you have already compromised the solidity of your position.

But, Krast is right... when push comes to shove, best to cut off heads with them... and make some juicy, steamy doup afterwards!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

What's "doup"

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Anjin:
    What's "doup"[/QUOTE]

Krast explained the other day that "doup" was the crusty, burnt muck that sticks to the bottom of a pan when you cook lots of soup. So the samurai get the soup, and they scrape the doup off the bottom to feed the Ashigaru.

By the way, that's why the maintenance upkeep for Ashigaru is only 1/2 Koku per year as opposed to the full 1 koku per year for a single samurai warrior.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I use them in conjunction with monks as a reserve and/or shock troops. Do not use for defense position in line, they are offensive in nature. put them in position where they can react to any area of your line, keep out of range weapons as much as possible, commit them when your line is breaking or when you have a chance for a break thru. I always use 2 ND units or 1 each of ND and 1 of monks, always use together if at all possible. Flanking is good, but if you have good opponet his flanks should be secure, if not....., hold in reserve, pick your time and spot then charge, protect against cav,
    different strokes for different folks

High Honor to those who return honor Talon43