Thread: Assasins

Member Member Gazza the Lionheart's Avatar

Can someone tell me how to stop assasins from opposing factions coming into my provinces and killing my generals because im currently playing as the Italians and ive lost a general every year for the last eight years.
    God must love crazy people, he made so many of them.

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

I forget what the building is called - the one up from border forts.

Try having at border forts in all your land and position at least a spy and an assasin in each of them also...not sure if this is the best way but i have been doing this and the AI assasins cant seem to get past my security all t time.

meant to say 'a' border fort..not "at".

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

yup take ur first 2 turns with a province for the border forts then the upgraded border forts. Also have assasins in ur own province. They catch the ones the border forst miss and raise their honour.
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

Yeah Border Forts and a Spy & an Assassin in each province should deal with 90% of the problem. There will always be the odd lucky one though. But as your own Assassins gain valour from killing them it will get increasingly risky for the AI. Try to have a province with fully upgraded Taverns / Brothels etc so you can quickly create high valour spies and assassins. I usually also have a Bishop (or equivalent) to disuade religeous unrest and inquisitors - but then I always attempt to assassinate enemy inquisitors

Tip: When you conquer a new province immediately move in a spy and assassin (bishop too if you like) as this will help quell rebellion, give some protection against assassins while border forts are constructed and give you the means to kill enemy agents (emersaries, princesses etc).
    Your jest shall savour but a shallow wit
    when thousands more weep than did laugh at it

- Henry V

I believe all strategic units do counterspying of sorts: i.e., emissaries, assassins, bishops, spies, princesses, etc.
    Kristaps aka Kurlander
    A Livonian Rebel

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Border safeguards also let you know where the computer is sending assassins.

For example, my border forts kept catching assassins trying to get into Provence. Obviously, the computer had a priority on that area. So, I shipped about five assassins from other provinces to Provence. They cleaned up, killing assassins that had slipped through earlier.

=============

Completely wiping out a faction kills all it's agents: assassins, spies, holy men and emmissaries. It also destroys their navy, although their army units persist as rebels. There's no such thing as rebel assassins or ships, though.

[edited p.s.: hrvojej corrects this information in a post below. Eliminating a faction does eliminate that factions "special agents," but rebels can make their own ships and assassins.]

This is another reason I enjoy playing Muslims. Once you have a faction down, you can fnish it off.

With a Catholic faction, you can beat up on a fellow Catholic faction until it's ready for slaughter, and then get nagged by the Pope. You have to let the rump faction live or get excommunicated.

That means that the little faction gets to keep all the assassins it made while it was a great power, and make more to wage "shadow war" against you, thanks to the Pope.

"In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

well it does add spice to the game though european powers using so many assains makes it bit ahistorical dont you think
    Leonidas (Agiad King, 491-480, Killed at Battle of Thermopylae)

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

There are certain "choke points" for agents, most notably provinces with ports that have a lot of provinces without a port next to them, e.g. Kiev. Concentrate more on thosewhen placing your own counteragents than let's say Switzerland.

There are rebel ships and assassins, but they have to be built by the rebels themselves. After the faction is eliminated, their agents and ships indeed disappear, but rebels can build their own if they have the means to do so.
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (khurjan @ June 27 2003,14:48)]well it does add spice to the game though european powers using so many assains makes it bit ahistorical dont you think
    Yes. Although assassination certainly wasn't unknown in Catholic Europe.

Also, edited my post in light of hrvojej's information. Sorry about that.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

We need a mod to add electrified fences..assassin creeps up...ZZZZAAAAPPPP like a giant bug zapper

I am a disciple The master has noticed me :P

Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy until you can find a rock.
    Will Rogers