Thread: what game to get? civs3 or europa universalis 2?

i love MTW and VI so much.....before rome total war comes out...what game u prefer is really good?

civilization 3 or europa universalis 2?

thanks

jb, check out this thread: Best non-TW game

It covers more that Civ3 and EU2, but it may answer your question.
    This space intentionally left blank

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Personal opinion : EU2 is more historic & more fun, but lacks a complex tech tree.

Major pain with CIV3 : the corruption. It is totally unintuitive & maximizing your empire's efficiency means much time counting spaces to be sure to place your cities only within the efficiency circles. Main reason why I prefer EU2, despite its lack of a cool tech tree(only digits saying oh, you're better now).
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

I like both games but EU2 is an historical monster. You can actually play every major faction in existance since the 1400's until the napoleonic wars. The diplomacy is exelent, you get to colonize the unnocupied regions, set trade, fight wars (both land and sea), gain political influence (and many ways to get to it), forge alliances that can be broken on the hot spot or upheld in die hard multiple alliances confrontations. You get to play with the social system of your faction (centralization, decentralization, naval nation, land nation,...). You can play with religion, and for once the different factions of muslims are represented
    then you get historical figures: Generals, Admirals, explorers, conquistadors...
    The quality of your king affects your progress...

I only told you a few features. There are tons of them.

Civ 3 is also a good game and there are a lot of fanboys out there. Im sure one of them can come in and tell you about the features... im getting tired
    Legacy for the airwaves.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Portuguese Rebel @ June 27 2003,07:56)]Civ 3 is also a good game and there are a lot of fanboys out there. Im sure one of them can come in and tell you about the features... im getting tired
    Ahhh im glad im not the only one

I love Civ3 Great game
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I've only played EU2 so I can't make a comparison but I can tell you that it is an excellent game. The forum is very active and support for the game is plentiful, there's something like 7 patches now that add lots of new features and there are still mini-beta patches being released every few weeks.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum....umid=51

Here is a link to the forum, I'm sure the people there can give you more information, although IIRC most people there loathe civ3.

Quote[/b] ]Here is a link to the forum, I'm sure the people there can give you more information, although IIRC most people there loathe civ3.
    Yes they do. But it is more of a rivalry thing than anything else. Most of the posters are history buffs and need the accuracy of EU2. Most of them are even a little bit paranoid about it...
    Legacy for the airwaves.

I loathe CIV3 and I have never played EU, but this thread is making me think about buying EU. I played all the CIV games extensively before the TW series started. My main problem with CIV3 was that all the things that bugged me in CIV2 still bugged me in CIV3 - the warfare aspects were practically unchanged. I longed for a a game that would combine CIV3 with a warfare component that worked like Imperialism II. Then TW came along and I haven't looked back.

What I would like to see now is a TW with a stronger civilization theme like CIV3 - the perfect combination. The GA game is along those lines. Sounds like EU would appeal to me because of the historical and strategic aspects.

if you looking for engrossing game with a similiar theme to total war go for eu2...its one of best games out i can say this pretty confidently as i was part of team that designed it and tested it
    Leonidas (Agiad King, 491-480, Killed at Battle of Thermopylae)

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

Quote[/b] (khurjan @ June 27 2003,17:12)]if you looking for engrossing game with a similiar theme to total war go for eu2...its one of best games out i can say this pretty confidently as i was part of team that designed it and tested it
    So Khurjan, its you i have to annoy for Portugal not being a default choice in the grand campaing?
    Legacy for the airwaves.

Quote[/b] (Portuguese Rebel @ June 27 2003,09:15)]
    Quote[/b] (khurjan @ June 27 2003,17:12)]if you looking for engrossing game with a similiar theme to total war go for eu2...its one of best games out i can say this pretty confidently as i was part of team that designed it and tested it
    So Khurjan, its you i have to annoy for Portugal not being a default choice in the grand campaing?
    lol not me i tend to play portugal or papal states as my major using one of the mods out there for it kind of interesting

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

Too bad, i really would like to annoy the guy who had that decision... Dam, they went with novgorad or whatever... what did those guys do in that period besides being absorved by Muskovy? It sucks
    Legacy for the airwaves.

well for once they were the only republic in russian history and they sold lots of fur coats

Personally, I didn't like Civ3. I like TBS in general, but not this one.
    EU2 is a marvelous game, extremelly complex, with plethora of features, good AI, and excellent support. The only thing that is too abstract for my taste is combat. Basically, you see two guys facing each other and hear the piff paff sound, and that's it. Apart from that hands-off feeling when they are duking it out, the game is immensely enjoyable, and definitely one of my all time favs. The learning curve might be a bit steep though, but once you get the finer points of gameplay figured out, the only thing left is appreciation.

ps: I hope that the TW series will see more diplomacy in future editions.

Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Quote[/b] (khurjan @ June 27 2003,22:34)]well for once they were the only republic in russian history and they sold lots of fur coats
    Yeah Forgot about the fur coats...
    Legacy for the airwaves.

OK I know it's not exactly what was asked but I would recommend Alpha Centauri instead of civ 3. It's the same game style, made by Sid Meier (well actually more like Brian Reynolds but he never gets credit) but set on Alpha Centauri (duh ), the planet you build a space ship to get to in civ, so basically it's a proper 'sequel'. The tech tree is divine, combat sensible (no pikemen beating tanks like in Civ 3) controls easy, variable and customisable governments that allow you to expand your civ how you want, system specs low, wonderfully balanced and has a beautiful diplomacy option which allows you to bargain with the AI just like you would with a human. I think that this is the best of the 'civ' type games as it is the most polished and balanced by a mile. If only civ 3 had learned from this....(sigh)

As it is several years old it is available on budget with its expansion pack for a song (I got mine for £9.99 a couple of years ago, but it is still around).

PS: Is EU2 worth getting for the total war fanatic who likes the battles more than the map? I like a good battle more than I like shuffling units around. The camp map is enjoyable though, but I'm not sure I would want to play a game without the battle half. So what do you think? should I try it? (assuming I can find it anyway)
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Dunno civ 3, but EU is great.... Ah if TW SP was like EU with a TW battle system ...

The diplomatic engine is definitively good. The way war and peace are connected is very interesting; great for a limited wars era, and in this sense historical. Definitly recommanded.

Louis the Simurgh,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Quote[/b] ]Ah if TW SP was like EU with a TW battle system
    You want it all don't you?
    But i know what you mean, it would be a tremendous game. One to stand the test of time...
    Legacy for the airwaves.

Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ June 29 2003,03:28)]PS: Is EU2 worth getting for the total war fanatic who likes the battles more than the map? I like a good battle more than I like shuffling units around. The camp map is enjoyable though, but I'm not sure I would want to play a game without the battle half. So what do you think? should I try it? (assuming I can find it anyway)
    I would say that EU2 is worth paying the discount price, if nothing else, than to try it and see whether you like it. The game is fairly unique on the market today (aside from other Paradox titles), and in case you like it, the gameplay and replay possibilities are truly vast. In case you don't like it, well, what can I say, aside that I'm sorry.

Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

The other talking head Member Mimer's Avatar

Quote[/b] (jbmagic @ June 26 2003,23:15)]i love MTW and VI so much.....before rome total war comes out...what game u prefer is really good?

thanks
    Quote[/b] ]i love MTW and VI so much.....before rome total war comes out...what game u prefer is really good?

thanks
    EU2, by a wide margin. It's one of the best strategy games ever to appear on a PC. Civ3 actually isn't a poor game, it's just that it could have been so much better.

Never played EU2 but I've played most of the Civ series, and i have to say Civ 3 was decent except for a couple of things i couldnt stand. It was a beautiful game visually as wel as game-play. The things i couldnt stand was
    1. Lack of world map
    2. Ludicrous balance issues i.e. a spearmen taking out my Abrahms tank
    3.Corruption issue, this is when you lose productivity to crime, and it gets out of hand at a certain # of cities or distance from captial city
    these got so bad that i stopped playing the game a month after getting it, and this was after its first patch