Thread: Pavise Arbalesters in the Desert

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not sure if this was true before the VI expansion, but Pavise Arbalesters now appear to be unable to shoot when exhausted. The animation still reloads, aims and shoots, however, there are no hits and the bolt stack doesn't go down (kind of similar to the animation of archers in the woods when they are unable to target properly). Thus, usage of pavise arbalesters in the desert is rather limited now: they get exhausted really fast (the max I get them to shoot now is about 25% of their bolt stack) and they never recover to be able to shoot again. I guess, due to their hi armor rating, vanilla arbalesters would suffer from the same problem if placed in the desert.

Kristaps aka Kurlander
    A Livonian Rebel

THought it was always like that? (in MTW also)

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

Yes, all missile units fire less shots per volley as they get progressively more tired, and this was the case with 1.0 as well. Exhausted unit would fire only 2-3 missiles out of 60. This can be a problem in the desert, where all units tire faster, and those with high armour never recover, or recover very very slowly (IIRC, the borderline was somewhere around 5 armour). Shield factors in the armour value as far as fatigue is concerned, to the best of my knowledge, and since pavise gives +3 to armour, pavise units lose their shooting capability rather quickly. Normal archers suffer the same penalty when exhausted, but since they fire faster, it's not as likely to get to the point of unusability as it is with xbows and arbs.

Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (hrvojej @ June 27 2003,15:10)]Yes, all missile units fire less shots per volley as they get progressively more tired, and this was the case with 1.0 as well. Exhausted unit would fire only 2-3 missiles out of 60.
    Well, thanks. Probably, I just didn't notice this effect in MTW.
    Kristaps aka Kurlander
    A Livonian Rebel

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Pavise Arbs in the Desert? No wonder they are getting tired (being armoured and having to lug around that big shield with it)

Longbows and Normal Archers & Xbows work well for desert conditions... try to avoid the heavily armoured stuff in the desert or your asking for trouble

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

normal arbalesters are ok in the desert as there base armour is 3. Its best to control there fire in the desert to keep them at quite tired

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Well I try to avoid them, they are armored after all.

I like to send all my old and outmoded troops to fight in the deserts when the high period begins. I make the really big bad armies for European conqests and all the vets then pour into North Africa ready for action.

But hey thats just my personal preference. I get rid of the old troops rather than disband them. So I rarely get the chance to Use PA's in the desert because by the time I can get them its often ALL Mine anyway
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

As i play mostly south europe or african factions, by the time i get arbs i already have all the northern africa under my control and i don't need to fight there no more. This is why i like to beef up my armour ratings to the tops. Got to love to see my arbs getting away with stopping a RK charge so that my sword units hit the rear
    Legacy for the airwaves.