Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unleash Hell....

Am I the only one who is slavering for, among other things on RTW, recreating the opening scene from Gladiator? I know it may not be historically acurate and all, but it looked pretty darn good on the DVD So, any other oddballs out there?

I am a disciple The master has noticed me :P

Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy until you can find a rock.
    Will Rogers

I must admit, when Maximus says: "unleash hell", and the Romans begin to kick barbarian a$$, the blood does begin to boil.
    e tu Brute

Gaius, thank you for responding, I was starting to think this thread had offended someone...just not very exciting I guess...

Will Rogers

I wouldnt mind having such a feature, but frankly I wouldnt mind not having such a feature either. Its up to CA..

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mamushi @ June 29 2003,14:57)]Gaius, thank you for responding, I was starting to think this thread had offended someone...just not very exciting I guess...
    Maybe you are just the only oddball around here...

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

I always thought that battle looked so one sided :o
    --Lan

actually i thought it was quite funny seeing roman calvary charging through the forest something no roman calvary would do in their right minds
    Leonidas (Agiad King, 491-480, Killed at Battle of Thermopylae)

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

Not even to surprise an enemy by attacking their rear while they're engaged to their front? After all most of the actual fighting was done in relatively light woods, with lots of spaces between the trees, or even out in the open.

sounds like a reasonable option to me

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

The battle in the beginning of Gladiator may have had some "Hollywood moments", but I actually didn't mind. It was an entertaining battle scene. It may have been a little one-sided, but then most of the real battles between the Romans and the barbarians were too

I agree with it having it's hollywood moments,but it was a relatively entertaining battle,as they go. I watched that opening bit last night to try and inventory equpment needed. A bit strange sounding I am sure,but it was a slow Sunday...And Balimir,you being here proves I am not the ONLY oddball around...

Will Rogers

Quote[/b] (Mamushi @ June 30 2003,07:01)]And Balimir,you being here proves I am not the ONLY oddball around...
    Ok my friend Im going to be honest with you. what I meant above was not meaning that I wanted it. I was just saying "I dont give a damn" in a more polite way.

Quote[/b] (Mamushi @ June 27 2003,18:50)]Am I the only one who is slavering for, among other things on RTW, recreating the opening scene from Gladiator?
    If you mean using flaming arrows in a field battle, I hope not. Such a thing makes no sense. The movie was cool I'll grant you. But these should only be used for siege warfare. I expect a lot more accuracy from CA than I do from Hollywood.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Good point Nelson,it does make for more drama,but less sense,but then it is Hollyweird...

Will Rogers

Hell, why don't we add freezing arrows and turn it into an RPG?
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ June 30 2003,14:46)]Hell, why don't we add freezing arrows and turn it into an RPG?
    hell yeah lol j/k

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote[/b] (Monk @ June 30 2003,19:48)]
    Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ June 30 2003,14:46)]Hell, why don't we add freezing arrows and turn it into an RPG?
    hell yeah lol j/k
    +5 initiative against legionare-granting technicolour dreamcoat Lvl 38 hoplites -4 sagacity magic monkey It's all here folks
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

All right,who opened the bottle of scotch this early and why is nobody sharing Please, i try and forget my RPG days, and I mean the old paper and pencil versions,not this whimpy computer generated ones Why kids today do not even know what an RPG is,why in my day we actually had to roll dice,and create our caracters on sheets of paperYou bastards,no repect for us older dungeon crawlers..grumble....

Will Rogers

hehehe.....no calvary without stirrups would charge even through a hilly terrain even light wooded and not especially the way they held their spears...normal calvary at that time would hold it over rather than under the arm.... but i agree still it was entertaining battle

siege artillery on a battle field was rarely used unless it was light ballista
    Leonidas (Agiad King, 491-480, Killed at Battle of Thermopylae)

When Xerxes wrote again: 'Deliver up your arms,' he wrote back: 'Come and take them.'

He passed the word to his soldiers to eat breakfast in the expectation that they would be having dinner in Hades.

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

hehe well if i was the barbarian general at that battle i would just tell mi homies in my army to go far to the left...then the romans would be really pissed of couse all the catapults are aiming at the wrong please. Then i would draw the romans in to the thick forrest where tight formations wont help much. But thats just me tho..
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

My most cherised moment from the opening sequence:
    A dirty bearded big German with an axe in his hand raises the head of the messenger,yelling something we all understand...
    I am the sword.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

The Romans all had British accents - must of been serving the end of their 25 year service in Germania - and not enough cursing and swearing by these Roman veterans.

Where is Macedonia?

But more importantly, who's gonna answer first:
    A Macedonian or a Greek?

Any F.Y.R.O.M - ians here?

Jus Kidding.

I'd rather create the Battle of Carrhae but Gladiator sounds good - and all that Hollywood stuff that comes along.

Connie Nielsen
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Quote[/b] (kataphraktoi @ July 05 2003,11:57)]Where is Macedonia?

A Macedonian or a Greek?

Jus Kidding.
    You are a very funny man...and lucky,as I rarely get mad on people that are not in front of me.No point in that.
    I am the sword.

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Macedon @ July 06 2003,13:01)]
    Quote[/b] (kataphraktoi @ July 05 2003,11:57)]Where is Macedonia?

A Macedonian or a Greek?

Jus Kidding.
    You are a very funny man...and lucky,as I rarely get mad on people that are not in front of me.No point in that.
    and what exactly would you do if he was infront of you mate?

mpfff...probably he is not well familiar with the subject...
    ...made just a bad joke...
    I appoligize to kataphraktoi
    I am the sword.

Nah - I'm sure he knows perfectly well the sensitivities of Greeks and FYROM-ians over the term "Macedonia".

A lot of people in the west are.

A lot think it's utterly pathetic since neither country actually has much left of Alexander's "blood" left in it after millenia of conquest and subjugation by Romans, Asiatic, Turks, Germans, Franks, Catalans and miscellaneous others.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Macedon, no need to apologise.

It was just a remininsce of my debates with a few Macedonian friends back in high school about Macedonia on borders, languages and other stuff. The debates were all lighthearted, we never had to get into fights with the UN intervening from their safe zones. Thats because the debate was trivial in nature, it was an excercise in curiosity of confronting a sensitive issue.
    I am not Greek by the way so you can tell that I had nationalist agenda behind it. hehe.
    Its just a little joke about "who's gonna answer first" - because naturally every Macedonian or Greek will have their two dinars/drachmas about it - Thessaloniki, Pella Alexander the Great, etc.......you knuw what I mean.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

All emigrated Macedonians have an archaic(hope I'm spelling this right ) stand about our history...
    Most modern (and urban)Macedonians have no ilussions about some connection between us and antic macedonians.The Greeks got it wrong thinking that we have some territorial claims.We don't.After all,we are a peaceful country.It's just those Albanians...
    I am the sword.

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Hakonarson @ July 06 2003,18:08)]A lot think it's utterly pathetic since neither country actually has much left of Alexander's "blood" left in it after millenia of conquest and subjugation by Romans, Asiatic, Turks, Germans, Franks, Catalans and miscellaneous others.
    I didnt see anyone talk about who has alexanders bloodline heh, i guess the problems usualy between greeks and ppl from skopje is about the culture heritage from that time, dunno who your refering that think the claims are pathetic if you ask me thats just stupid way to look at it..noone could identify with anything historicly with that type of thinking..

macedon i was just playing with yo..;)

Too bad that we don't have any Maori or Aborigin patrons...
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

I'm glad no-one took overt offence - well done chaps

BTW hrvojej....how do yo know I'm not Maori??

In htese parts there are 2 ways to be Maori.

Politically - Maori can chose to vote for seperate parliamwntary seats if they want - what it takes is a declaration that you want to be on het Maori electoral roll instead of the General one.

Culturally - you need to show Maori ancestry - any direct ancestor will do - even a single great-great-great-great grandparent is enough to allow you membership of any of the Iwi (tribes), and access to their wealth and privilige - which tends to be more used by middle-class than the poor who really need it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast