Thread: Cost of Retaining units (not reTRAIN)

How do AI calculate these?... does it make a dif if I put units in castle or not?...

Is having a border fort cheaper than leaving a shinobi in a province?

------------------
    SlackER ~ Extreme
    SlackER ~ Extreme

Shinobi can't be captured but BF's can. If the enemy take your province, having shinobi will help a rebellion back to you but BF's are either captured or demolished.

------------------
    Fight first, then scream 'Doh, why did I forget my Kensi!'
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Retraining cost is a simple ratio proportion math problem. If 60 Ashis cost 100 koku to produce a unit, and you retrain a depleted unit of 50, the cost is 10 koku. Thats 10 men to fill out the unit. Retraining can be free as when one re-trains a band of (say 60 when the unit high is 60) high honor what-have-you's for a weapons & armor upgrade. This is a good thing to do when the koku's low and you want better quality troops.

As to the shinobi question, I decide on a case by case basis. I always try to keep 3 shinobis with my good generals at all times.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Each individual samurai costs 1 koku per year to maintain, but Ashigaru cost only 1/2 koku per year. Shinobis, ninjas and geishas all count as 1 samurai.

Sooo... a 60 man unit of YS costs 60 koku per year to maintain. A 60 man unit of Ashigaru only costs 30.

A depleted unit of Naginata then, at 10 men, would then cost 10 koku per year.

It says this in the manual somewhere...

Make sense?

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Quote Originally posted by Moriboy:
    Retraining cost is a simple ratio proportion math problem. If 60 Ashis cost 100 koku to produce a unit, and you retrain a depleted unit of 50, the cost is 10 koku. Thats 10 men to fill out the unit. Retraining can be free as when one re-trains a band of (say 60 when the unit high is 60) high honor what-have-you's for a weapons & armor upgrade. This is a good thing to do when the koku's low and you want better quality troops.

As to the shinobi question, I decide on a case by case basis. I always try to keep 3 shinobis with my good generals at all times.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info... but I was asking about reTAINing instead of retraining units... :P

------------------
    SlackER ~ Extreme
    SlackER ~ Extreme

do you mean not getting them bribed to turn against you by enemy emissaries?

('cause I'd be interested in how that works)

Whoops, sorry dude... So used to seeing the
    other question.