Thread: add new faction

ok, I have been having a lot of trouble adding a new faction (e.g., FN_FREE21 //Welsh )without a game crash; however, I have figured out the secret to this miserable little task...

Now, the problem was that game crashes occured as the newly defined faction left the campaign map for the battle map--oddly this crash would only occur with certain units (e.g., peasants, highland clansmen, kerns, etc.). I discovered that only those units which were culled from texture folders associated with face-shields caused the crash. Units drawn from texture folders which are not associated with face-shields (e.g., archers--which use the texture folder Pestunic)do not cause a battle crash. Therefore newly defined factions, such as FN_FREE21 //WELSH, cannot utilize units which are drawn from the following bif texture folders, as they are associated with face-shields:
    Peasant
    ChainHlm
    HlPlArSH
    LArmWCav
    MKnight
    MSHelm
    PlateS
    Since Mtw/Vi can utilize 10 new customizable bif folders, the above texture folders can be copied and renamed Custom0 through Custom6 respectively--just make sure the bif images inside the folders are also renamed (e.g., Custom0_H.bif to replace Peasant_H.bif, etc.). After this, one only needs to open the CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11 file and change the texture body type (e.g., from Peasant to Custom0) for each unit that used the troublesome textures. Now new factions can use all available units without experiencing a crash-to-desktop on the battle map--although face-shields will not be used in the game.
    Yet, if one wishes to retain face-shields in the game then only those units which specificaly use face-shields should be drawn from the old texture folders and used only by the original factions. New factions must be denied access to those specific units. This is easily done if new factions are muslim or pagan, however loyalist revolts might unexpectedly add such units as feudal-men-at-arms or feudal sergeants to newly added catholic factions--therefore care must be taken if face-shields are included in a game with new factions.

Well, this system has worked well for me and as of this moment I have built a grand Welsh kingdom stretching across much of Europe. I have fought all the battles myself, and, although not all have been victories, I have yet to experiance a game crash.
    I hope this information can be of help to those intrested.

Welcome to the Org Lysander and thanks for that information. I know they have been having trouble with adding new factions. It appears that some (Grell) have figured it out, but maybe not to the same level that you have, so I'm going to copy your post into the Adding new factions topic pinned in the Dungeon.

Good work Lysander.
    This space intentionally left blank

I'll try this out later today, but this is a sweet workaround if it works

Now hopefully CA comes through with a good patch and fixes the facshield, 56 death and reinforcement order bug and this great game will be even better

Thanks for the info

Wow, it amazes me that yall can figure stuff out like that. Excellent work Lysander.
    Cheer up 'Tis no use to be glum, Boys,
    'Tis written since fighting begun,
    That sometimes we fight and we conquer
    And sometimes we fight and we run

###### of the Smurfs Member pyhhricvictory's Avatar

Lysander,
    Welcome
    I have a question for you, when you re-create the new body types, do you have to strip out the units using the Fac-Shields or do you leave them in?
    The web of domination has become the web of Reason itself, and this society is fatally entangled in it

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

Alright I didnt understand one word but alright lol
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

Lysander you are an absolute legend, I have tested this and it works??

It is now possible to add new factions without getting the battle CTD.

Not a bad effort for a first post Your single post is worth more than some who have 1,000+ posts but as Welly says talk bullshit. My full admiration to you who managed to work this out AND offer a solution, when myself and others have been flailing around for months, and even the bloody programmers of the game were not able to even offer an explanation as to what was casuign the crash (or couldnt be bothered ). This is excellent news for all modders. I will re-work my Carolinger mod to adapt to this, which will require more testing, work , etc so probably another week or so before I will release it. However my mod The First Crusade with the Kigdom of Jerusalem, etc will now be playable without the battle CTD. If i was a chick i would offer t have your babies you bloody champion

One word for Lysander has to be just awesome

As someone thinking about getting into modding , its just flabbergasting.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lysander @ June 30 2003,00:41)]I hope this information can be of help to those intrested.
    Of help? ITS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL INFORMATION

Brilliant investigative work Lysander.

Welly

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

Lysander is the Sherlock Holmes of the MTW modding community. Hail
    CHIEF HISTORIAN

Hi, thanks for the kind words but I have some bad news guys. Unfortunately changing the texture folders doesn’t reliably stop the battle ctd when a new faction (controlled by the human player) assaults a castle. I found this out when I decided to add in a few more factions to the game, beyond the Welsh. I first played as the Khazars (labeled FN_FREE24) and, although I could fight all my battles proper, the first time I tried to assault a rebel castle the game crashed (BLAH). I then tried to assault a Danish castle as the Norse (FN_FREE23)but the game crashed then as well. Maddened, I tried the game as the Irish (FN_FREE22)and assaulted an English caste, the gamed DID NOT crash. Confused I tried assaulting a Welsh castle and the game DID NOT crash then either. I thought maybe only the first two new factions (FREE21 //Welsh and FREE22 //Irish) were stable enough to play with--so I removed all others and added the Scots with the Novgorod labels. I then assaulted a Scottish caste as the Irish, the gamed crashed (BLAH).
    Well, after further experimenting I have found that castle assaults by new factions when controlled by the computer do not cause ctd. And, the only new faction I have been able to add that can resolve all castle assaults properly is FN_FREE21 (the good old steady Welsh). Although I doubt it(it would be too easy), maybe this all occurs because I did not enter some entries properly.
    I'm sorry guys, I thought we had finally gotten things figured out. I guess there are still more bumps in the road ahead. Blah
    GOod luck to all.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I can't remember what Bif folder it is but did you mention the one with Chivalric Knights in? These particularly cause CTD and i just thought i'd mention it to those who are still having problems.

I haven't experienced such problems yet but i'll test it alot more and get back to you.

I think it might be plate cav.

You are right Blind King of Bohemia, Platecav should be renamed also. I forgot to mention it earlier. Thanks for pointing that out.

Awesome I think that Lysander should now be promoted ( 2 or 3 times

>>----> Z0eL