Thread: Non starter

For the past several months, I've been unable to run Shogun.
    It use to run perfectly,, but,then it just wouldn't run.
    I've re-installed it a couple of times. I've even downloaded
    the latest driver for my graphics card Riva TNT2, and tried to run the game this time, but, still hasn't worked.
    Can some-one tell me how to solve this problem,,because it's been months since I last played it, and would like to play it again,, without having to buy another copy.

Any help would be more than appreciated.
    Thanks.
    --={R@M}=--

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Hi Midnyt and welcome to the .Org

Updating your drivers is always a good thing. What do you think changed since STW used to work?

And our tech guys here will need a bit more info, like:

Processor type & speed
    Amount of memory

When you say it just won't run, what exactly happens: you insert the CD & it doesn't start? You click the desktop icon and nothing happens?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Sorry about that,, I should have been more specific.
    OK, the Processor is AMD Duron 800 Mhz. Memory at the moment
    is 512Mb, so you could say about 300Mb at least to spare.
    I can't think of any reason why it won't run,, as for what I've downloaded that might cause it to stop running,, I can't think, as I'm always downloading stuff. Medieval runs perfectly, along with the Viking Invasion,,and I appreciate that Medieval is a more recent one to Shogun, but I just assumed that if one ran, then so might the other.

When I run Shogun,,the red display box (with the 'icon&#39 comes up,,then,the screen goes black,,as normally happens with most games, before they actually begin to load,,but, instead of loading, once the screen clears, it just reverts back to the desktop. I've reduced the resolutions to something like 800x 600, but still had no effect, so quite simply, I'm stuck
    --={R@M}=--

are you running dx9?
    is opps... it wont work with that.
    just a thought.
    Once more unto the breach dear friends, let us fill it up with our English dead.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Hmmm...I just tried to re-create your problem: sadly, with success. I have MTW & VI & STW all installed separately (but haven't fired up Shogun since my last MTW install).

I get the same thing: Red Shogun splash screen, black screen, wait for the little swordsman movie - but no joy. Error msg: Shogun has caused an error in SHOGUN.ICD & will now close. Back to desktop.

Dropped resolutions down to 800x600, then 640x480...same result. Have DirectX 8.1.

I'll look into this & consult our tech wizards, then get back to you Midnyt.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Celtlan,,, YES, am running DX9 now,, but, when I started to have the problems,,I was on DX8. I only upgraded to DX9 this year, so as for Shogun not running last year,, guess DX9 can't be held responsible.

KukriKhan,,,Thanks for trying, and 'glad' you got the same problem,, which kind of makes me realise, that it isn't the computer that's kinda messed up. You say you have DX8, so, whether it's DX8 or DX9,, doesn't appear to make any difference.
    Just on a off-shot,,is there any possibility that Medieval and Shogun might be clashing,,causing Shogun not to run? I can't remember off hand, whether or not I had the problem before I installed Medieval. I think I might Uninstall Medieval and see whether Shogun will run or not.
    --={R@M}=--

KukriKhan,, I tried to solve the problem by un-installing Medieval,, thinking that that might be causing the problem, but it didn't make any difference.
    --={R@M}=--