Thread: Tweaking the new troop stats in patch 1.02

What do you patch 1.02 playtesters think of making a very small change for me?

How do you feel about changing YA's melee value from -1 to minus -2, and their defense from -1 to 0.

Its a small change. But looks and feels right!

Also the cavalry charge bonus' look like they need tweaking. I just don't feel comfortable with CA having a better charge bonus then HC and NC.

These are small tweaks that would make me feel much better.

I'm still not sure about Naginata yet either.

Please consider tweaking them. -THANKS.

CA are faster. Logically, they should have a better charge bonus: i.e., a stronger impact. They won't do nearly as well after the initial charge, though.

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

At this moment I won't even dream about it.

There are no minor changes, believe me. Your change to YA makes them less of a killer but improve their staying power. That means they rout less. The routing they do now is how we feel it was supposed to be. Debatable, of course, but we did spend 6 weeks doing all these 'minor' changes, and somewhere along the way this is what we came up with.

And while you don't feel comfortable with the cav charge bonuses, so far the majority of the community feels they are ok. So do we. I explained the reasons for these values in your other post at teh .com. The fact that CA have highe charge bonus than NC and HC has everything to do with the way they are used in battle. Changing that would change their entire role, and would require going through all of their stats. Again.

And don't forget that after 6 weeks of changes, changes and more changes we are a bit fed up with numbers. We definitely need a break from them, and are now enjoying the battles we have. Maybe in a week we can review what the community thinks and maybe reconsider, but there will have to be very, very good reasons to do so.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

LoL
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

in addition to what erado said, you have to remember that even one 'official' stat change means a completely new executable that has to be done by CA. at this point in time i'm not brave enough to ask them for this :)

this is also why we asked that the ability to mod these things by the players themselves be given back to the players themselves. we knew without a doubt that not everyone would agree with our choices. hell, we didnt even agree completely within the team. so, dont like it, mod it yourself, but there's no way in hell i'm going to go back to CA at this point for a +1 here or a -1 there. dont like it, mod it! ....hmmm, maybe i shld make that my new sig....

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Err... yes, forgot about that Krae... I mean... how many recompiles have they done... Especially with those amendments we requested AFTER the deadline...

The QA manager will have a fit and Target will have my hide for a rug if I even try now...

[This message has been edited by Erado San (edited 11-29-2001).]
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

"If you don't like mod it" should be the motto for every team member who worked on this. At least for a while, until the message gets through.
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Without a doubt. That's what troopstats is for. I frankly was surprised that CA touched any "official" modding with a ten-foot pole.

Matt

CA took a big chance, and we as a team did our best to come up with something that played well, and addressed the gameplay issues that the community wanted addressed. I know that in many instances personal preferences were put aside in the interest of producing something that the majority of the community would find fun and interesting to play. I think there is some real depth to the tactics now, and not just the rush or shoot and rush that was the rule for online games before.

While our aim was to not degrade the single player game, time and time again testers found the single player to be harder than before. The ai is smart and evaluates the actual relative unit strengths before making it's moves. I just played a custom Sengoku game on green on normal difficulty with these stats and got creamed by the ai. I virtually never lost to the ai on normal before. This improvement is something we never anticipated.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Toranoga, err

HC charge 9; old value 5
    CA charge 10; old value 3
    NC charge 11; old value 4

So CA don't have a higher charge than NC!!
    They have a higher charge than HC because HC are slower and, more importantly, the HC were also boosted in defence and armour whereas the other cavalry were all decreased and their charge increased more significantly than the HC's.

DOc

------------------
    MizuDOC Otomo
    DrJambo Ouchi
    =MizuDoc Otomo=
    =Clan Takiyama=

"CA are faster. Logically, they should have a better charge bonus: i.e., a stronger impact. They won't do nearly as well after the initial charge, though."

If you use speed as the determining factor then NC should have a higher charge bonus than HC.

I just wished you guys ran these numbers by the rest of us before everything was finalized.
    We might have been able to sway some of you one way or another with our opinions.
    I know there was some disagreements with some of the units among the playtesters, maybe the rest of us modders who play single player games could have contributed their thoughts about them.

Well it's too late now.
    And what we have now is better, and certainly better for multiplayers.
    So guys like me and Kahn7 who put more emphasis on historical accurracy can just keep on doing what we have been all along, play with our own mod.

Look, the unfortunate thing about any type of work with a creative aspect is that not every Tom, Dick and Harry gets a say. I'm not miffed at all that they didn't run the numbers by me so I could pull a couple of numbers off the top of my head for them to go change real quick. If that was the SOP we'd be waiting all year and TW2 would come out (or, more likely, it would just suck and make not sense).

Matt

[This message has been edited by Khan7 (edited 11-29-2001).]

Look Toranoga, i don't where you are getting your figures from or for that matter what patch you are using, but as i said just before your post NC have a charge of 11, HC have 9 and CA 10.

!?!?!?
    =MizuDoc Otomo=
    =Clan Takiyama=

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

And another one, this is turning into a real spring clean. EM&P.

------------------
    Oderint dum metuant
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra