Thread: Clans Mod

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

Hi all.

Long post - but ALL CLANS SHOULD READ THIS

This should explain some things about the recent posts/surveys I did. This is still a project in the work so any suggestions are welcome.

Couple months back I did my first full mod for MTW/VI, a simple thing that added the Vikings to the Early campaign (simple now, but hard for my first ever mod at the time...)
    On the day I finished, I was happily browsing the CWB when I came accross the clans shields on the links page, and I thought, maybe I could try using them somehow?

So I "borrowed" the shields from the CWB links and started editing the files into VI. After many painful hours I got it to work - 14 factions in a Clans campaign. (Kenchi's CWB shield isn't really any good as a faction shield, so they missed out, and I asked if they could make one for me.)

That's turned out to be pretty easy in the end. Now for what I think will be the hardest part. Uniqueness.

I have made all clans Catholic for now, giving them the same units. The only differences (for custom games) are the colours and shields. But that isn't really much good is it?

So I'm giving clans choices. Quite literally - what the hell do you want in your clan?
    There are tonnes of things that can be customised, names, starting locations, Kings, Heroes, Units... and more.

This list I'm drawing up on the spot, so I may miss some things and come back to updating it later.

First off, the non-game effecting stats. Not many of these really.

Names:-

Generals names

I'm suggesting all clans use a set of names that are already in the game. ie Elite have HRE, Palas Italian, etc. etc.
    A names list can be made if any clan wishes though, there should be about 30 each surnames and forenames. NOT clan members (see below)

Kings names

Here's the clan members names. Each clan, after submitting their clan members' names in the appropriate thread, will use their active and/or semi-active members for their Kings names. On top of this, two of these members can also be made "Famous" by including them as "Famous Kings" which will appear at some point during the game. They CAN be given stats, Piety, Command etc. and ONE VnV. The stats, in total, should not exceed 10, and up to 5 in any one of these stats. Can be lower if you really don't like some member though

Heroes Names

Heroes, I suggest using the retired and/or semi-active names as heroes. These also must have stats that do not exceed 10, and no more than 5 in any one specific stat. The Heroes can also have one VnV. These can also be modelled to appear only in certain provinces or when a certain unit is built.

General's names
    There are already sets of names in the game depending on what nationality the faction is, so a clan can choose a nameset from this list:

Almohad
    Byzantine
    Danish
    Egyptian
    English
    French
    Fresian
    German
    Hungarian
    Irish
    Italian
    (Khazar - SURNAMES ONLY)
    Mongol
    Pict
    Russian
    Saxon/Mercian/Northumbrian
    Scottish
    Spanish
    Turkish
    Viking
    Welsh

Clans can choose to have surnames of one country and forenames of another but they should match.

Khazar forenames are all the same, "Tarkhan", translated as General. Clans may also do something similar to this if they wish, or even submit a number of ranks such, Corporal, Lieutenant, Commander, etc etc. (The game would treat these as forenames not ranks though, so a Corporal might end up leading a Sergeant or something.)

Clans may also make up a list of forenames and surnames, but I'd prefer if this wasn't done (not because it's harder work but because it helps keep the conformity of the mod.

Office Titles:-

Those titles that are gained after constructing buildings such as the Royal Palace, Chancellery, Cathedral etc. Below is the Almohad Office Titles:

royal_palace "Qadi al-Quda"
    constables_palace "Master of the Kalifah's Horses"
    marshals_palace "Vizier of the Army"
    chancellery "Grand Vizier"
    admiralty "Amir al-Bahr"
    cathedral "Archbishop of Cordoba"

All factions use the same buildings for Offices, for each office a Title name should be given. These are up to the clan to name.

Clan Description

A short description of the clan that shows up on the faction selection screen when starting a campaign. Be as eccentric as you want with this.

I might add on a bit about difficulty if I can.

Religion
    Whatever a clan chooses will obviously effect their unit selection, as well as other things. There will be a "base" set of units for each religion, Catholic, Orthodox, Muslim and Pagan. I am NOT including the other two religions as a choosable option, since assigning units to these would be difficult (Heretic and Jewish.)
    Upon selecting a religion, a faction automatically recieves the set of units that corresponds to that religion.
    Catholic clans must also decide whether they are a CRUSADER CLAN or not.

AI Script
    This is literally how the faction will play as a computer-player. There are a few different choices depending on the religion, all listed below:

CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST_CRUSADER
    CATHOLIC_EXPANSIONIST
    CATHOLIC_NAVAL_EXPANSIONIST
    CATHOLIC_ISOLATIONIST
    CATHOLIC_TRADER
    CATHOLIC_CRUSADER_TRADER
    CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE_CRUSADER
    CATHOLIC_DEFENSIVE
    ORTHODOX_EXPANSIONIST
    ORTHODOX_STAGNANT
    ORTHODOX_DEFENSIVE
    MUSLIM_EXPANSIONIST
    MUSLIM_PEACEFUL
    MUSLIM_DEVOUT
    POVERTY_STRICKEN
    DESPERATE_DEFENCE
    CLOSE_TO_SUPPORT_LIMIT
    POPE
    BARBARIAN_RAIDER
    REBELS

Obviously, it is impractical for a clan to choose Pope or Rebels. Also, only Pagan's may choose Poverty_Stricken, Desperate_Defence, Close_To_Support_Limit or Barbarian_Raider but the first three are not recommended

---------------------------------------

UNITS SELECTION

Read carefully This is still in negotiation, so things are still a little unclear and may change. Any suggestions are welcome. You can also e-mail me if you wish

All units will be selectable in this mod, including those from the Viking era.

For EACH era Early/High/Late, I am giving a clan the option to choose FIVE units on top of the base selection. These will of course depend upon the religion chosen. Catholic Crusader clans will be able to chose from the Crusader units (eg. OrderFoot, Templar, Santiago, Teutonic Knights etc.) Non Crusader Catholic's will be able to choose some of the units from the Pagan category. (eg. the Viking units, Highlanders, Irishmen, Lithuanian Cav etc.)

Example, a clan may choose MUSLIM. This clan then recieves a number of units automatically that belong to the Muslim culture. The clan then gets to choose five units for the Early era from the remaining Early era Muslim units, five for the High, and five for the Late.

I'll post a full list of the base units and the categories later, some of these are still unfinished.

ON TOP OF THIS each clan may CREATE UP TO TWO UNITS PER ERA. Unit creation must follow strict guidelines, for the sake of imbalances.

Copy the base of another unit already in the game.
    Have a value appropriate to its strength.
    Have a unique name to identify it.
    NOT EXCEED THE STATS OF THE BASE UNIT BY MORE THAN 10%.

Example, a clan makes a new light cavalry, copying the base of the ALAN MERCS. If the unit stats are modified, they cannot be modified by more than 10% of the ALAN's stats.

All new units will be subject to my approval

Extra info.:

Clan Colours

For the 14 clans already in the mod, here are the faction colours they use:
    (this may look out of place on 800x600 and lower resolution)

Clan Foreground Colour Background Colour

Dreads Green Black
    FF Hungarian Red Egyptian Yellow
    Insane Dark Grey White
    RTK Sun Yellow Light Green
    SPQR SPQR Red SPQR Red
    VKC Slate Blue/Grey Slate Blue/Grey
    Wolves Grey Black
    LRossa Red Moon Black
    MK Bright Red Black
    Palas Light Grey Dark Grey
    Raven White Black
    RDH Black Black
    Elite Dulled Red Black
    Fears Light Grey Blue Dark Grey Blue

I'm afraid my knowledge of colours names isn't profound.
    If you want, you can check the colours out in a paint package yourself, just input the RGB values (Red/Green/Blue mixture) into the palette (provided below.)
    Some notes:
    At the moment the primary colour for most clans should be black, but I'd like different primary colours for each clan, hence the oddities in some clans colours.
    If a clan dislikes their colour they may change it, but to one not used already. --Personally, I think the Green goes well with Black, whether it suits the Dreads though...???

RGB Values:

Dreads 92 146 38 0 0 0
    FF 166 87 87 214 167 34
    Insane 70 70 70 255 255 255
    RTK 243 227 0 80 120 71
    SPQR 224 156 32 224 156 32
    VKC 148 168 181 8 8 8
    Wolves 119 116 117 0 0 0
    LRossa 187 0 0 0 0 0
    MK 255 0 0 0 0 0
    RDH 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Raven 255 255 255 0 0 0
    Palas 172 172 172 49 49 49
    Elite 166 100 0 0 0 0
    Fears 113 117 181 54 54 101

Well that's it - congrats if you managed to read up to here without skipping anything or falling asleep in between. Any questions/suggestions are welcome, I will try to accommodate as best I can.

Thanks All

Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

What a interesting idea for a mod, Kudos I.F. looks like you put alot of hard work into this LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Phewww thought i wouldnt reach the end .....got ur hands full there Ithas....keep it up, very nice work i can see comin our way
    NightRider of DragonCREW *Time ends all things*

DragonCREW

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Hiya Ith,
    can you add Clan Doragon?

Clan Doragon's Shield

- -
    My Shield - - Yabusama - - Chopper

Gregoshi never finished his, a HDD failure got it

I can send you paintshop files of Clan Doragons if you wish, might help in shrinking if you can "touch up" the file yourself

The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Hmmm. I will try. There is a queue though

Actually that isn't really a joke. Doragon aren't near the front of the queue either.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

IIRC 32 factions is the limit for VI...
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

That's right B. but faction 31 will be the Pope - I need to take him out of the game.

Don't think anybody ever got 32nd faction to work and I think because 32nd faction is faction 0, the Rebels.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

Make rebels ronin players like me have their own territory. But ugotta get htme to build up massive troops and stuff, but not attack. just defend.
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

MiniK, I've thought a bit about this and I'm still very unsure about including ronin players.

I might be able to do is make the ronin players the "people" of a province when it becomes rebel - which would mean there'd be room for quite a few (one for each province??)

Problem is this would rename them for all campaign games unless a swapper was made... and even then the game would need restarting if you wanted the original peoples names back.

Even so, if I do add ronin players this will be the last thing I do...just to make things easier for the mod.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Itha.... we still need to talk

I hope you use ICQ more often than you do msn msg (i know I do) and I have added you on icq...

Also please come to our forum asap, there is a thread you may find interesting and handy...

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

This is a great project.

Is there a chance I could get my own shield please, please, please , or do I HAVE to join a clan ?
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Speaking of Clans why is Seljuk still on the main Total War page? lol We disbanded several monthes ago.....
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

BUMP***
    I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

bump

also, kyle and i are starting on the groundwork for such a mod for RTW
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven