Thread: Disappointment

Senior Member Senior Member Jaguara's Avatar

Well, I got around to finishing up my "hard" solo campaign (as Hojo) last night.

As with most games, it was more than a tad anti-climatic.

After a campaign of pushing the AI back further and further (and thus his armies getting larger and larger). I was not getting to fight since the enemy would retreat as soon as I deployed my troops. I was expecting a few very tough battles to finish him off. Finally, he was cornered on two ends of the small western island (forgive my ignorance of the name). Each of the the two DISCONNECTED provinces held armies of over 1500 men, while I had about 4000 in the area. Also, he had gunpowder...I didn't.

So, I started by sending in 750 men to each battle...hoping just to soften him up a bit...to my horror they RETREATED instantly...into oblivion, since there was nowhere to retreat to!

I would have thought that the AI would have taken this into consideration and fought to the last...but no.

Same thing used to happen in other strat games...I can distinctly remember in games like MOO, and even Rebellion, where the anticipation of the final decisive battle would build, but the AI would pull a no-show. Either not engaging or fleeing or whatever...until they could no longer maintain their units and they were scrapped...

I guess playing against humans is the only answer...but in the online games I have played in the past, most of the "kids" quit the game the moment things start to go against them...

OH well, C'est la vie...

Thanks for your patience while I whine...

Anybody got some cheese? Havarti would be nice...
    Toda Nebuchadnezzar : Trust Jaguara to come up with the comedy line

"The only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance"

Even happens when playing the custom battle´s.....both me and the AI got same koku...but the stupid AI bought 6-9 units and i 16 (of course) and what happens AI moves up 10m from start place, then turn around and show me his butt and leaves lol

Happens regardless i attack or defend

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

[This message has been edited by EuroSan (edited 12-04-2001).]
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Haven't had that happen to me yet. Played through the Mongol Campaign on both sides at normal, haven't gotten around to hard yet. Also played Uesugi and Takeda on hard with a 1530 start. Got my ass handed to me on both. Wanted to make the campaign last a while so I focused on establishing a solid base of territory while tech'ing up. In both cases I got tag-teamed pretty bad. As Uesugi I got hit hard by an Imagawa/Hojo alliance that broke through my front line in two battles (averaged about 1600 v 900, no timer) and Imagawa/Uesugi did it to me as Takeda.

Am in the process of working my way through a 1580 campaign as Mori using the same strategy (advance slowly and let the AI tech up). Life was tough for quite a while as Oda got trashed and then Tokugawa and Takeda decided to come after me. Only allies I had were Shimazu and Hojo (who was on the other side of the map). Finally established a solid line against the T's that they couldn't break and took on Shimazu. After wiping him out and taking all of Kyushu, I turned back on the T's. Broke through the Tokugawa lines and pummeled him back all the way to Totomi/Mikawa. I didn't want to fight a multi-front war, so I didn't attack Takeda (whom I had made peace with). Low and behold, Here comes Hojo beating the hell out of Takeda and just keeps right on coming against me!

Turned out that all 3 then made peace and allied with each other and all 3 are fighting against me! I'm in pretty good shape and have lined up 3 major battles that should be the final turning point in the game if I win them all. Haven't played the campaign for almost a week now as I know that each of those battles is going to take some time and I haven't had sufficient spare time to devote to 3 long battles in succession.

San, you may want to select the army for the AI in custom rather than having it be random. It makes things much more interesting, especially if you give the AI a 10-20% koku advantage. If you want to make things even more interesting, try giving the AI 4 armies against your 1 and allow them a 20% overall koku advantage. I've done a few of these and depending on who you've selected to go up against, it can either be easy or incredibly difficult.

------------------
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.