Thread: Withdrawing troops and reinforcements....

Strykah (or something like that) recently posted a question about reinforcements. This brought 2 questions to my mind. One, is the reinforcement for the gamer been resolved? With the original 1.01 patch, there was still some question as to whether or not the gamer always got his backup troops, while we all knew the AI got his! (I have to ask, as I have yet to be in a battle where I cannot win with my initial 16 units unless I am so severly outnumbered that I am forced to withdraw anyway. So I never see reinforcements.)

Second, I am curious on something. How many of you withdraw your troops if they run out of ammo or are heavily fatigued? Personally, I tend to use a withdrawal very rarely, prefering to allow my archers to charge into a line to ensure a few more casualties. This increases the chance for victory, but also creates the very real possibility that any such victory will be Phyrric in nature. Still.. I tend to want to maximize the enemy's casualties.

So, who uses withdraw commands, and who charges when the arrows are gone?
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

I have only been playing WE for a short while, and so far I haven't been able to fight any really "grand" battles. Hordes don't form as often as before and with a good general (rank 4 is sufficient) and teched-uped troops, I can easily defeat 1000+ troops with, say only 400 - 500 and slaughter most of them.

I did ran into reinforcement from the AI a couple of times, where they came from diffrent spots but I was able to divide and conquer with my very tired troops.

As far as archer's concern, I find them really really bad at melee, thus their charge doesn't really make much of a diffrence. And your archers might suffer atrocious casualty. Once I had some hard time fighting monks and decided to charge my archers over. I won the battle, but the log file showed that that one single monk unit(60) was able to kill about 120 of my men, most of them being the poor archers.

To answer you question, I don't withdraw, and I don't want to charge the archers either.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I use to withdraw troops all the time in STW because I knew I would receive reinforcements and I knew where they would come from. I liked having extra SAs in certain provinces (river, Shinano, etc) when large armies were attacking. I could rotate in fresh SAs when units ran out of arrows.

Now in MI/WE I rarely withdraw troops because I am not sure I will ever get reinforcements and If I do they might arrive in an area where they will get slaughtered.

I have not installed the patch so that would probably make the placement of reinforcements better, but from what I understand you are still not certain to recieve the reinforcements.

All your base are belong to us

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

RUN AWAY!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Ed,

I do not know whether or not the PC reinforcement is fixed fully yet or not. That is one of the questions I asked. However, with the patch 1.01 or 1.02, the entrance point of reinforcements has been fixed and trust me - that alone is worth getting the patch!
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

For me the reinforcements seem to work.
    When I was defending a river and my archers went out of arrows , i let hem run away.
    So at first i didn't get the new troops but as soon as 6 (I think it were 6 but I'm a bit unsure)of my 18 troops had fled 6 fresh ones appeared.
    I think it works but you will have to get out 6 troops and only then your reinforcements will appear.
    When cultures sun stands low even dwarves cast mighty shadows
    -Karl Kraus