Thread: Skirmish

King of the Potato People. Senior Member Sir Chauncy's Avatar

I think that you should be able to select skirmish for any unit. That way you could have a defensively weak unit fall back after some cavalry havs taken the bait through a unit of spearmen or something. I remember reading in a post here somewhere that units seem to be stuck together like glue when they are in combat and this is true, so why can they not fall back before they get locked or bogged down? I would have thought that this was an obvious tactic, the 'horns of the buffalo' that the Zulus used for example. I know that you can select the unit individually and move them back but in a reall fight such micromanagement would have been impossible. I just want them to be able to shuffle backwards a bit thats all.
    Veni, Vermui, Vomui.

I came, I got ratted, I threw up.

Morale outrage is the recourse of those who have no argument.

You can... after selecting a group of units, one click will set everyone in that group to skirmish (aka backup), hold ground, or attack aggressively.

Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

King of the Potato People. Senior Member Sir Chauncy's Avatar

Really? Every time I tried to do this only the missile units would skirmish and when you clicked on the h2h units afterwards it was as if nothing had happened because the skirmish button/command is greyed out.
    Veni, Vermui, Vomui.

I came, I got ratted, I threw up.

Morale outrage is the recourse of those who have no argument.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

would be really useful for cavalry who should have more sense than to get caught by yari, but often need to deployed close enough to menace enemy forces and stop the deplying in advantageous places.

------------------
    Oderint dum metuant
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Indeed.

Then again, maybe the "good sense" of the cavalry to run away from Yari is modelled by their tendency to rout when met by said point-stick carriers.

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!