Thread: Warlord Chronicles Mod

As my post count nears 500, and the Summer Holidays stretch out before me, I feel like undertaking a project to keep me busy and stop me wasting my life and my internet time alowance sitting round reading posts at the org.

For any of you who have not read them, the Warlord Chronicles are a series of 3 books written by Bernard cornwell (~the author of the Sharpe series of books). The Books are a rewrite of the traditional Arthurian legend, set in a very believable 5th and 6th centuary background, dealing with the Saxon invasion of Britian and the atempts of Arthur to unite the British people to repel these Germanic invaders. They are a fantastic set of books and I recomend that you all have a go at least the first book.

With the release of VI, the new map and units seem to me to be a perfect platform on which to design a simple mod based upon these books.

I have no modding skills what so ever at the moment, I have never modded MTW or any other game, but I wish to have a go, and that means keeping it simple (at least for the initial stages of the mod).

At the moment I am collecting information and facts for the background of the mod.

At the moment all I intend to do is to rename existing factions and change their starting provinces, as well as setting the start date back to the 5th centuary. I will not be doing any of this yet, and will probably need to be told exactly what to do so expect to see me asking a lot of questions in the near future. Eventualy I may want to edit units and add new faction flags, but that will not be for a while.

At the moment I just want to know who would be interested in me creating this mod, I will probably have a go anyway even if no one else is interested, but it might give me a bit more insentive if others want it

Can also some experienced modders let me know any tools I will need to do this mod. (Gnome editior?)

Thanks,

Brother D
    'Odi et ammo, excrucior' - I love and I hate, it hurts.

'Excretus est ex altitudine' - Shat upon from a great hight.

gnome editor for definate, and possibly a bif reader/editor if you plan on changing faction flags for your mod

Head Moderator of TotalRome
    Refugee of the Total War Centre

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Grretings Bro. D Sounds like a good idea for a mod,I would be glad to answer any questions that might help you get going, You have a good basic plan though keeping it simple is a good way to start. Good Luck
    Taking life one day at a time!

Cheers Black Prince and LOS

I have just downloaded Gnome editor, and it looks like it is going to help me loads for when I want to chenge my units a bit.

Ok, first question. How will I be able to change the names of the factions to the faction names I want to use? And will I be able to remove factions altogether (i.e Vikings)?

Any help will be apreciated,

Brother D

To change the Faction names go to Loc/Eng/VIKING FACTION SPECIFIC choose the faction you want to overwrite with your name change say {@"Irish"} just delete irish and add whatever name you want , you will notice the faction names under a few headings in that file change them all to your new name. As far as removing a faction altogether yes it can be done, go to Campmap/Startpos/VIKING and in that file find all refrences to FN_07 "Viking" and comment them out by placing // before the line so it looks like
    //FN_07 "Viking" then do the same to any refrences to FN_07
    Others might have a diffrent way to do this but this to me is the simplest and easier to correct you just simply delete the // and all is back to normal. if you have any more questions you can e-mail me if you like at ronin27k@aol.com good luck
    P.S. Be sure to back up any files before making changes

Cheers LOS,

I have successgully managed to change the factions names, but have been unsuccesful at removing the Vikings.

I did as you said and placed // in front of any references to FN_07 in the startpos file, but get this error when trying to start the game:

Unknown faction label used to indicate building advantage: column 13 row 25
    FN_07

I assume it's becasue i missed a reference to FN_07 and did not // it, but I have rechecked several times and can't find it if I have.

Lol, I have baffled myself already

zip up the startpos you made the changes in and send it to me ronin27k@aol.com, I will look at it this evening when I get back home. I have used that method in MTW1.1 with no probs and it has worked, it might just be something you missed I will know better when I see the file LOS

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Aug. 03 2003,12:39)]zip up the startpos you made the changes in and send it to me ronin27k@aol.com, I will look at it this evening when I get back home. I have used that method in MTW1.1 with no probs and it has worked, it might just be something you missed I will know better when I see the file LOS
    Don't worry LOS, I have decided to keep the vikings and will insted change them and make them into the kingdom of gwent

I'm fidling around with the startpos at the moment and seeing what I can do. Thanks for the help anyway, I will probably need more before long

Ok, I am getting along nicely (at the moment).

The Start date for my campaign at the moment will be 480AD, but that might change.

I have changed all my faction names and the faction choices are as follows:

1. Irish
    2. Dumnonia (British Kingdom in the far south around Cornwall Deavon and sumerset. Ruled by Uther Pendragon)
    3. Gwent (British Kingdom, first Christian Kingdom. Ruled by Tewdric)
    4. Powys (British Kingdom. Ruled by Gorfydyd)
    5. Gwynedd (British Kingdom in north Wales)
    6. Elmette (British Kingdom in the far north)
    7.Saxons (Ruled by Cedric, in far south east of Briton)
    8. Angles (Ruled by Aelle, Midd East of Briton).

I am starting to mod the units that will be available to each faction and also those that each faction starts with.

I will then move on to try and add heros. One question, will I be able to make Arthur an Heir who starts on the map already?

Cheers,

Brother D

Quote[/b] ]I will then move on to try and add heros. One question, will I be able to make Arthur an Heir who starts on the map already?

Check the Dungeons FAQ for a post I did regarding adding new heroes to VI, I was able to add Napoleon and Wellington for the Nap Mod with matching portraits as to making Arthur an Heir I am not sure if that can be done, I never tried it

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Aug. 03 2003,17:05)]
    Quote[/b] ]I will then move on to try and add heros. One question, will I be able to make Arthur an Heir who starts on the map already?

Check the Dungeons FAQ for a post I did regarding adding new heroes to VI, I was able to add Napoleon and Wellington for the Nap Mod with matching portraits as to making Arthur an Heir I am not sure if that can be done, I never tried it
    Lol, that fills me with confidence. Cheers for the info again LOS. Don't know what I would do without you.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

where can i find the firggin gnome editor the org downloads seem to be down for the moment.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Brother Derfel,

Good work on your mod so far, I am looking forward to playing, since this seems to be the only mod with a day to day update. I like the faction choices. Are you going to create new units, or leave them the same? Your mod is the mod I am going to download when done. So I just wanted to know a few things.

Good Luck

PS. None of us knows what we would do without LOS.

I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Quote[/b] ]Lol, that fills me with confidence. Cheers for the info again LOS. Don't know what I would do without you.
    My pleasure Bro. D, I like the new avatar that is one of the 75 or so I made for the ORG from the VI Portraits good choice
    Quote[/b] ]PS. None of us knows what we would do without LOS.
    Aww Shucks you guys are making me misty Thanks Lancer6969

I'd love this mod The Warlord Chronicles are probably the best books I've read; deep, involving, and perfectly suited to my English course.

Quote[/b] (Lancer6969 @ Aug. 04 2003,11:17)]Brother Derfel,

Good work on your mod so far, I am looking forward to playing, since this seems to be the only mod with a day to day update. I like the faction choices. Are you going to create new units, or leave them the same? Your mod is the mod I am going to download when done. So I just wanted to know a few things.

Good Luck

PS. None of us knows what we would do without LOS.
    Hey Lancer,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been offline for a few days (Damn BT and their maximum of 150 hours online a month).

At the moment, as i said, i am a brand new modder and have no idea how to add new units or anything as advanced, but I do plan to keep this mod going as a long term project, updating it as my skills get better. Eventualy I would like to add a few new units (Arthurs horsemen being one of them), but at the moment the current choice will surfice, perhaps changing a few stats though.

BTW, how would I go around renaiming fyrdmen to Veterans, or something similar?

Also how do I change my starting king?

Oh and the era and unit descriptions, how do I get to those to change them?

hehe, 3 days offline has alowd me plenty of time to test the mod and I have prety much sorted out Starting positions, buildings and units as well as faction religions and attitudes, I need to start getting detailed now

Quote[/b] ]Oh and the era and unit descriptions, how do I get to those to change them?
    Look in Loc/Eng/ Startpos for era descriptions and Loc/Eng/Descriptions for Unit Descriptions, as far as Unit Names themselves look in Loc/Eng/Names under heading unit names if you make any changes make them in the { }curly brackets as the [ ] brackets are labels that should not be changed
    Example["Peasants_single"] {"Veterans"}should give you the correct translation, note that theres 2 entries I would edit both and check the result, I must say I have never had to edit a unit name, but have changed many things in these files the same way, the worst that could happen is it does not translate correctly so you change it back.
    And someone else can tell us how to edit the unit names
    As far as your King check out the Heroes files in Campmap/Names read the file heading it gives some good info on the file set up. LOS

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Aug. 06 2003,19:11)]
    Quote[/b] ]Oh and the era and unit descriptions, how do I get to those to change them?
    Look in Loc/Eng/ Startpos for era descriptions and Loc/Eng/Descriptions for Unit Descriptions, as far as Unit Names themselves look in Loc/Eng/Names under heading unit names if you make any changes make them in the { }curly brackets as the [ ] brackets are labels that should not be changed
    Example["Peasants_single"] {"Veterans"}should give you the correct translation, note that theres 2 entries I would edit both and check the result, I must say I have never had to edit a unit name, but have changed many things in these files the same way, the worst that could happen is it does not translate correctly so you change it back.
    And someone else can tell us how to edit the unit names
    As far as your King check out the Heroes files in Campmap/Names read the file heading it gives some good info on the file set up. LOS
    Cheers LOS

You should sticky this, this is helpful as hell for me, and I am sure for others as well.

or make a new post to sticky this to it.

I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Right, I am having a few more problems

I have tried changing the Cardinal Agent into a Druid, obviously the Image is wrong, but I wanted to see if I could do it.

I changed the Cardinal to be Pagan specific culture, and gave it a bonus for Pagan religion and zeel with the Gnome editor. I then changed the Cardinal's name in the Loc/Eng/Names file to Druid, in both the single and plural part.

I then changed the Dumnonians to Pagan Religion and Pagan Culture and gave then a Druid in the Startpos file.

I loaded up MTW and started the mod. It loaded ok, but for some reason my cursor was changed to a white pinpoint??? All my other units where fine, but when i cam to click on the Druid (Cardianal) first an error sign came up saying could not find portrait and the description came up with a black rectangle in place of the Portrait. Fine I reasoned, I need to specify a Portrait or something, I can work that out or ask hear. But then I went to move the Druid and the game crashed. I have no Idea why that was.

Also, I have found the file to change the Mod description and the faction descriptions for normal MTW, but I can't find the file for faction descriptions for VI. Which is this one?

Thanks,

Brother D

Quote[/b] ]Also, I have found the file to change the Mod description and the faction descriptions for normal MTW, but I can't find the file for faction descriptions for VI. Which is this one
    Look near the bottom of the Loc/Eng/Changes File. LOS

Ok, some progress, and some more probelms.

I have sorted out why it was crashing, but I still need to set portraits for the new Druid agent. How do I do this?

Cheers in advance

Brother D

Quote[/b] ]I then changed the Dumnonians to Pagan Religion and Pagan Culture and gave then a Druid in the Startpos file.
    Quote[/b] ] have tried changing the Cardinal Agent into a Druid, obviously the Image is wrong, but I wanted to see if I could do it.
    What exactly did you change to make The Cardinal agent to a Druid? did you go through Making a new unit process or did you simply overwrite some cardinal stats?
    see if you declare the Druid as a unit in your startpos , you would have had to do more than just change some stats and names in Loc/Eng/Names if you change the name of Cardinal ["Cardinal"]{"Druid"} like this, the name will translate but the label remains Cardinal, this might be why you got the error. LOS

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Aug. 08 2003,19:03)]
    Quote[/b] ]I then changed the Dumnonians to Pagan Religion and Pagan Culture and gave then a Druid in the Startpos file.
    Quote[/b] ] have tried changing the Cardinal Agent into a Druid, obviously the Image is wrong, but I wanted to see if I could do it.
    What exactly did you change to make The Cardinal agent to a Druid? did you go through Making a new unit process or did you simply overwrite some cardinal stats?
    see if you declare the Druid as a unit in your startpos , you would have had to do more than just change some stats and names in Loc/Eng/Names if you change the name of Cardinal ["Cardinal"]{"Druid"} like this, the name will translate but the label remains Cardinal, this might be why you got the error. LOS
    No, i have just renamed the Cardinal to Druid, and have called it Cardianl in the startpos. The Druid apears fine on the Map, and I can even build new ones now, but for some reason it no longer gives it a Portrait.

Quote[/b] ]but for some reason it no longer gives it a Portrait.
    you will have to place a Druid bif in Campmap/Info_pics/Agents and Review_panel/Agents, that is if you made or have such a bif, if not simply copy another agent bif to those files and rename it Druid, and see what the result is, If I remember correctly someone did some agent bifs for a mod sometime back, and I think a druid was one of them, I will check around and see if I can find it for you. You might also want to check the stickied thread here in the Dungeon on making new units, it might cover what you are missing. LOS

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Aug. 09 2003,12:52)]
    Quote[/b] ]but for some reason it no longer gives it a Portrait.
    you will have to place a Druid bif in Campmap/Info_pics/Agents and Review_panel/Agents, that is if you made or have such a bif, if not simply copy another agent bif to those files and rename it Druid, and see what the result is, If I remember correctly someone did some agent bifs for a mod sometime back, and I think a druid was one of them, I will check around and see if I can find it for you. You might also want to check the stickied thread here in the Dungeon on making new units, it might cover what you are missing. LOS
    Cheers LOS, I will give it a try.