Thread: The Inner Workings

Those of you who have played STW so much you're bored with the SP campaign, but haven't lost interest in the game itself, here's a tip: look at the files in (yourSTWdirectory)\loc\eng\. Events.txt is especially interesting. It's a long read, and has all kinds of codes that make it look like an uncompiled VB program, but don't let that phase you. That file hides within its bowels a wealth of information on how STW really works, and what it was supposed to be.

"The Emperor in Kyoto has declared his support for the Tokugawa Clan. He demands that all other Daimyo should cease pointless hostilities and unite behind a new Tokugawa Shogunate. " Wheeeeee...

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    - Tokugawa Ieyasu: Legacy
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

You're right; that is a pretty revealing file.

1. Who the heck are Lord Date and Lord Toyotomi?

2. And what's GOD MODE? HOw do I get that to work? (I know about the .matteosartori. cheat.

3. Apparently NINJAS work like Shinobis to calm unrest, at least according to this document.

4. "You have no achieved eighth rank in your role as a general. Your achievements are unique, and you now rival Sun Tzu himself." Does anybody know how many battles are neeeded to get this message? Is this a vestige of an earlier draft?

Lord Date is the daimyo of Useugi clan at a later stage of the game.
    Lord Toyotomi is the daimyo of Oda clan at a later stage of the game.
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Quote 1. Who the heck are Lord Date and Lord Toyotomi?[/QUOTE]Well, they're Date Masamune and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. They're represented in today's STW as Uesugi and Oda heirs (respectively), but, as it seems, they were originally intended to take over the entire clan when the primary succession of heirs is extinguished. That is, if Toyotomi Hideyoshi became the new Oda daimyô in the original STW plan, the entire Oda clan ceased to exist and became the Hideyoshi clan.

Quote 2. And what's GOD MODE? HOw do I get that to work? (I know about the .matteosartori. cheat.[/QUOTE]This must be the "invincible armies" or somesuch cheat, that was supposed to exist but doesn't.

Quote 3. Apparently NINJAS work like Shinobis to calm unrest, at least according to this document.[/QUOTE]Whoa. (But Ninjas cost 200 while Shinobi cost 100. )

Quote 4. "You have no achieved eighth rank in your role as a general. Your achievements are unique, and you now rival Sun Tzu himself." Does anybody know how many battles are neeeded to get this message? Is this a vestige of an earlier draft?[/QUOTE]No, it's still possible. I don't remeber the Taisho required 128 or 256 more victories than losses, but it is possible, and some people here have actually achieved it.

------------------
    "The right use of the sword is that it should subdue the barbarians while lying gleaming in its scabbard. If it leaves its sheath it cannot be said to be used rightly."
    - Tokugawa Ieyasu: Legacy

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 12-18-2000).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

BTW what's region zero?
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Quote the Taisho required 128 or 256 more victories than losses, but it is possible, and some people here have actually achieved it.[/QUOTE]

Is that on internet play only? It doesn't seem like that would be possible on single player, folks.

The highest possible rank is rank is rank 8, which requires 128 victories.

rank 1 = 1 victory
    rank 2 = 2
    rank 3 = 4
    rank 4 = 8
    rank 5 = 16 (Oda Nobunaga)
    rank 6 = 32 (Takeda Shingen, Tokugawa Ieyasu)
    rank 7 = 64
    rank 8 = 128

It is not possible to get more than 255 victories, therefore you can not reach rank 9. I tried

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

Interesting, Rob. I just now got a general up to 128 on single player; thanks for warning me or I would have wasted a few more hours.

From what you're saying I'm guess that your victories "freeze" after 255?

Incidentally, do you know how high you can get a geisha/ninja? I think 6....