Thread: MP specific MAPPACK

This is version 2 of the MP MAPPACK:

http://www.totalwars.net/downloads/m...IC-MAPPACK.zip

I've went through the wide variety of custom maps available and selected
    the ones suitable for mp (since most are not). This pack contains maps from all
    other packs that are popular/well-made (so usually both). I'll comment on all the maps
    since ppl have different tastes and may not like certain maps (starting a vicious cycle of
    map-hating). I ENCOURAGE YOU TO USE CUSTOM MAPS IN TOURNAMENTS

PUT THE MAPS IN MEDIEVALTOTALWAR/BATTLE/MAPS

MizuOrdaKhan maps (o_prefix)--------Though all these maps are superb ("I try
    to place terrain in a way that gives an advantage to neither side"-Orda), some use terrain
    that make it hard to setup smoothly in places and very large hills, though mostly
    in out of the way places. Without 8 ppl these may cause a attack/defend balance
    problem. Here are what I consider can be used with any number of players:
    ain jalut, kalka, kose-dagh, kulikovo pole, mizulands-
    1,2,4,5,7,10,11,15. there may be still more, it all depends on fairness of players and
    preferences.

Classic Nagashima, Totomi [Retextured]------------- These are both remakes of STW maps and
    though small they are fun. Orda is responsible for retexturing the original converted
    map, not sure about nagashima tho...

{RVN}Alrowan's maps (al_prefix)- ----------Alrowans maps provide interesting games tho they
    depend to a certain degree on the number of players since his terrain is closely linked
    to deploy zones. Check these maps out b4 you play them so you know what you're
    getting into, or better yet, ask Alrowan. All work best with 4v4 but if you don't have
    8 stay away from the highland maps and try villa or monument valley instead.

UglyRyu's maps (ryu_prefix or a date at the end [eg 2003])-----------ryu's maps with a
    prefix on the front are historical napoleonic battlefields unless I'm mistaken (which
    is quite possible since I haven't a clue about napoleon). They are mostly flat but
    still good. Ones with a date at the end were "made with the 4v4 setup in mind" (ryu) so
    you'll prolly want to have 8 players. However I find that Asia_Minor and Palastine work
    quite well with any #.

Highfist's maps (hf_prefix)---------------The same with ryu's and alrowans applies here.
    If you dont have 8, plains (slightly hilly and treeless) or highlands 1 and 2 are
    recommmended. Basicflat is a template to use in designing your own maps.

MasterBacchus' Farmlands (bachsfarmlands)------- They've been called something along the lines of the best attempt of making
    a fair map thats not flat by someone learned in military science so how could I
    not include them? they're a little different from other maps but playing on them is
    a heck of a lot of fun.

My maps are also included (sk_prefix)------Since I can't really comment accurately on
    my own maps (they are gr8 of course I had some players test them and look at them.
    I only included the ones they thought fair but if you dont believe em look before ya try .

The Damned Thing converted desert maps to work on temperate, arid and lush terrains, also
    a lot of fun (tdt_prefix).

*********Note on custom map bug- ON maps converted from STW (Classics and Totomi)
    clicking in the red zone may cause a rout. This doesn't happen on any other
    maps that I know of*********

http://www.totalwars.net/downloads/m...IC-MAPPACK.zip

Someone can upload it to the ORG but the system is too tedious for me. Have fun
    Take off your pants, baby. -Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa Skomatth,

Thanks for the work. I'll post this pack soon.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

And maybe make an installer instead of just a zip file?

CBR

I'll include one myself next month (I update it ever month) if I can figure out how, or maybe I'll just send it to u CBR

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Well I can make an installer for it if you want...wont take that long

You want an uninstaller with it?

CBR

sure...

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Hum just 2 cents...

The problem with Sko selection is that all maps are not there, then you feel like you need the missing maps... And one can argue about what a good MP map is or not

Now, Sko initial idea, which is, not all map are appropriate for MP is somehow correct; it would be very helpful if maps maker could put some indication on what they think their map is appropriate for... MP / SP, is it a castle map, etc...

Better still would be a kiond of descritpion text going with it... Can CA put that on the wish list?

That would be most helpful,

Louis the Simurgh,

[FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

i think the pack should be made as broad as possible, is there a file number limit on maps?

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

It's a great idea to have a map-pack.

And yes the subject on what makes a good MP map is debateable, and is entirely subjective.

Splitting maps into MP and non MP (does anyone uses maps for non MP anyway ?) further makes it more difficult for someone to decide what to download. In this case it means downloading the "other" maps separately is a necessity.

Ideally we have just ONE map-pack with ALL the currently available maps in that pack. This way what is suitable or not for MP, would be decided by the players, rightly so.

We should really:

-make one mappack and update it as new maps are made available
    -upload the pack to org and net downloads sections

Presto, no need for anything else.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Well I have no problem with simply grouping all mappacks together and offering it as a seperate pack if you feel that the MP one is lacking. If you see any maps that you think should be included tell me, thats the best I can offer. I don't think theres anything not included that ppl would want to play bar maybe a rare castle.

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

i think thats a fine solution sko