Thread: Sies/Assassins mod -advice please

I'm fascinated by the use of spies and other subterfuges to win by a more subtle way than brute force.

So I want to make a simple mod to the game to do this

1. Have each starting faction with 2x base level spies & assassins. S&A's I think would be most useful in the beginning of the game not as is now at the end when you have 1 million in the bank and every troop known to man and can blast the opposition to bits

2.S&A's to be buildable at base level with a castle only.

3.Brothel/Tavern and each level up add 1-2 valour so level 4 S&A's gettable by building.

4.Upkeep of 50 florins/year(to balance things a bit) and stop agent flooding.

5.Brothel1 require only a castle to build (same as Taverns)
    upgrades require only the lower level building to build.A player could then choose to build spies or assasins at a high level early on. (I've noticed level5 spies are fairly immune to BF- but others are chopped up in their hundreds)

6. No change to BF's except I would like to know if I can persuade the AI building priority to be lessened a bit.

I presume most of the changes involve the units and buildings main txt files, are any other involved?. My first attempts lead(as predicted to CTD).

BTW I can't find the Gnome editor talked about elsewhere, please advise where it can be found.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Got the Gnome editor, duh right under my nose

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not a bad idea. I agree that by the time assassins and spies are widely available (and you don't need to biuld other units at those regions) a far easier option is as you say just to attack and sort it out that way.
    I've always preferred Inquisitors, as if they fail they can try again next year, and of course the more times you try, they are more likely to become atheist.
    What about editing these aspects into an existing mod, as that way you get the best of both worlds?
    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Here ya go: http://kekvitirae.homestead.com/files/SandA.zip
    I didnt modify the starting units or anything, and they still require the brothels and taverns to build, but everything is as you describe it.
    Oh, and I modified all the other diplomatic units except for Princesses to have an upkeep of 25 (50 for the "Grand" units). Spies and Assassins cost 50.

Thanks heaps Kelvit , I've got the file and off to test it now, I didn't expect someone to do the job for me. What a great forum of people.

I'll report back when I've tested it , I also can learn from your mod about what you guy modders do

"guy" modders?

ooops MISTAKE
    don't worry razor i'm sure SHE'LL forgive you

btw Kekvit, you beat me too it i was going to do that too, but you got it finished first it would seem fast modding

Head Moderator of TotalRome
    Refugee of the Total War Centre

Scene: A Totalwar Royal Court somewhere in Europe a long time ago.

Peasant Razor(filthy wretch dragged between two stern halberdiers, Razor looks up and exclaims to the radiant lady of the Court .....)

"Twas just a simple mistake my Lady Kelvit, I am just a poor man bereft of gray matter and blessed only with poor eyesight.....and poor spelling..... Please accept my humblest apologies....."

Waits for the guards to chop off his head.....

Kekvit, with two Ks

Whoops again Kekvit

Anyway the mod doesn't seem unbalanced. You can provoke the occasional rebellion but only if the ai hasn'e built BF's. The upkeep cost has largely fixed players agent flooding, now you can afford a few pieces and you have to use them well or they are of negative value.

Overall IMHO a more balanced use of them

Before VI, I was a total spy-nut. I would flood provinces with about thirty spies and click next turn and wait for my emissary to mop up. Now with VI, I've learned to use agents strategically. Now I only keep a few spies active, and mainly to spread anarchy by uncovering V&Vs. Assassins are now used to remove key generals and princes instead of flooding my own provinces to act as a border fort.