Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Adding new factions in VI

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

Quick question:

Where do need to go to change the actual weapons that units use on the 3-d battlefield?

for example:

Instead being equipped with a broadsword, I'de want the FMAA to have a axe.

could someone take me through the process

I know this is a little OT.
    WORMS

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Emp. Conralius @ May 18 2003,15:36)]Quick question:

Where do need to go to change the actual weapons that units use on the 3-d battlefield?

for example:

Instead being equipped with a broadsword, I'de want the FMAA to have a axe.

could someone take me through the process

I know this is a little OT.
    That is covered in Wellington's animation guide.

The files you are looking for are in

The Textures\men\ folder.

Now FMAA are sprites in the ChainHlm.bif (..._H.bif)
    the weapon they use must be present on the same bif file.
    The only axe on the ChainHlm.bif is the one the
    Ottoman Heavy Inafantry use.
    So if that won't do you will need to add one.

Read Welly's guide , once or twice.
    If you have any probs after that let me know.

BTW it's a different topic.

LK

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

I just spent 1 hour looking at how to do that and writing a reply to this. And then I lose my post 'cos of some stoopid server problems

Anyhow. I DID spend 1 hour finding and explaining that an axe would be difficult to add because it is not in the .lbm file, and explained how you might go about adding one. Plus that part is not in the guide I don't think.

However, I don't think I can do it all again. Maybe tommorrow. Sorry...

Well guys, back "on" topic. I managed to sort my Vik's out succesfully thanks for the help. I managed to find something I had missed (declaring the faction in High era) which took long enough to find

Also, I think I now understand all the numbers following the SetFactionLeader:: with the exception of the first number. Until now I didn't understand any of them which is why I kept getting errors on my King name I think.

But - if ECS is here - can he tell me what the first number represents? It is usually a 0 for all factions in Early, except the Burgundians have a 1 - not sre what the effect of this is though?

Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Could you please tell me what the numbers represent for setfactionleader?

That first number (i.e. 0 for all other but 1 for Burg) corresponds with each factions list of kings in the Heroes.txt file in cmapmap/names. Not entirly sure what the other numbers are but I noticed that the second number is the number of remaining numbers in the sequence, e.g. 0 1 1 or 0 4 1111, or 0 2 11, or 0 8 33333333,. etc Also the third number will give the roman numeral for the starting King but this is cross referenced with th Heroes file in a manner I havent beaing able to work out.

OK to get the thread back on track:

Why is it that in battles only some units for new factions will cause a crash??

I reistalled VIkings and just added in one new faction in the Early campaign in slot FN_FREE21 the Scots. Everything works fine and decalring the new factions in the other High.txt and Late.txt startpos campaigns allows untiprod.txt to recognise the new FN_FREE21 entries. BUT when there is any other unit of this new faction involved in a battle besides Royal Knights the game crashes after the red bar on the battle load screen gets to about 20%. At first I thought maybe it was a facshield problem, so I tried a battle with only 1 other unit which doesnt use a facshield and it crashed, then I thought it could be a problem with banners besides the leaders or Kings square one, but it worked OK with a battle involving 2 units of Royal Knights, but having a battle with only 1 unit of peasants causes the game to crash?? I even re-tried it with FN_FREE21s leader as Highland clansmen thinking that maybe non-leader units caused the crash, but this also caused it to crash. Maybe one of the games programmers has an answer to why this is the case, I am stumped and at this stage have a campaign with 9 new factions working perfectly fine but have to use the autocalc to resolve battles against the new factions and it also means that I cannot play the new factions myslef and have battles (without using the auto resolve every time).

If a prgorammer from CA can tell me why this is the case I would be very grateful.

Grell the numbers after it represent how many Kings of a name have been previously. The number ties into the King names. Usually there are 8 Kings so you would get 8 numbers, except that 0's are left blank.

The third number gives the Roman numeral for the starting King because all factions use their first King name as their starting King.

*edit* Will add example to explain better.

Papal States(Early) have
    FN_PAPIST 0 8 2 1 8 20 2 1 2 7

2nd number represents the number of names that the Papists use for Popes. This is also in the default_heroes.txt
    3rd-10th numbers represent each of these 8 names by showing how many Popes of this name have ruled previously. So the next Pope Gregory (last Pope name) is assigned Roman Numeral 8 IIX.

When a faction just has 0 0 the factions is said to have had no previous Kings - the 0's for each name are left out.

Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Cool

Quote[/b] (Grell @ May 18 2003,21:07)]OK to get the thread back on track:

I reistalled VIkings and just added in one new faction in the Early campaign in slot FN_FREE21 the Scots. Everything works fine and decalring the new factions in the other High.txt and Late.txt startpos campaigns allows untiprod.txt to recognise the new FN_FREE21 entries. BUT when there is any other unit of this new faction involved in a battle besides Royal Knights the game crashes after the red bar on the battle load screen gets to about 20%. At first I thought maybe it was a facshield problem, so I tried a battle with only 1 other unit which doesnt use a facshield and it crashed, then I thought it could be a problem with banners besides the leaders or Kings square one, but it worked OK with a battle involving 2 units of Royal Knights, but having a battle with only 1 unit of peasants causes the game to crash?? I even re-tried it with FN_FREE21s leader as Highland clansmen thinking that maybe non-leader units caused the crash, but this also caused it to crash. Maybe one of the games programmers has an answer to why this is the case, I am stumped and at this stage have a campaign with 9 new factions working perfectly fine but have to use the autocalc to resolve battles against the new factions and it also means that I cannot play the new factions myslef and have battles (without using the auto resolve every time).

If a prgorammer from CA can tell me why this is the case I would be very grateful.
    Grell, did you make any changes to any of the unit stats in the Prod 11 files? I am curious because in the VIKINGS txt file you can declare (point to) the prod files that startpos will use.But in the early,high,late txts you do not have that option so if you make changes to the units in the original prod 11 files you might need to do it in the vikikngs prod 11 file also if it reads both files (a guess on my part) and theres a diffrence in the units stats between the prod files that might cause the crash, now mind you this is just a speculation on my part, but it cant hurt to check into it.
    Taking life one day at a time!

I didn't make any changes to the unitprod LOS and I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as Grell. Some units will work, some won't. I made it so that the Irish could train Gallowglasses and Kerns. Gallowglasses work in battle but Kerns don't, and I didn't make any changes to the stats of either. It's the same story for various other units for other factions. BTW, I have since added 4 more factions: Armenians, Serbians, Bohemians and Lithuanians. Thanks for the flags Grell, very helpful.

Also, has anyone tried adding a Pagan faction to either the Viking or main game? I can't get it to work. That was the reason why the Danes weren't working in the Vikings game. I changed it to Catholic and it worked like a charm. The same happened with the Lithuanians, so I had to change them to Orthodox. Has anyone else noticed this, and could you tell me where I'm going wrong?

The Vik's I added to Early are Pagan. I have no problems with them. Syntax aside, the main thing to look out for are the units/buildings you place in their provinces. Make sure you don't have a Catholic/Orthodox unit/building in their province(s).
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Quote[/b] (Grell @ May 18 2003,21:07)]OK to get the thread back on track:

Grell,

Did you change the unit shields in the Facshields directory off of the battle directory? Some units in there have unit shields.

Also, in the MTW game there are 2 text files in the LOC, the default text and the individual campaign default text files.

Thanks by the way for making the effort. I enjoyed Vikings but the "real" game for me remains the Medieval campaign.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Stavka in the Entrance Hall responds to this topic:

-----
    Quote[/b] ]Grell, did you make any changes to any of the unit stats in the Prod 11 files? I am curious because in the VIKINGS txt file you can declare (point to) the prod files that startpos will use.But in the early,high,late txts you do not have that option so if you make changes to the units in the original prod 11 files you might need to do it in the vikikngs prod 11 file also if it reads both files (a guess on my part) and theres a diffrence in the units stats between the prod files that might cause the crash, now mind you this is just a speculation on my part, but it cant hurt to check into it.
    The unit and building prod-files are declarable also in the early, high and late files. And location of map-textures and such. It's just that the original files don't include the comments... I think that all the startpos-files are treated the same way (it wouldn't make sense otherwise), so what's declarable in one of them is also declarable in all.

The Early, High, and Late campaigns are actually completely separate, but they all point to the same unit and prod files and maps and so on. So there's no need to edit all of them for for an Early-based campaign.

This way it's much easier to use mods and still have the original files untouched. All relevant files can have different names from the originals. Except for the files in loc\Eng, it seems.

Also, I have been able to do custom battles with all units from new factions. It was after editing the file d.txt in battle\FacShield\Hires. I noticed that all the included units already worked fine, so I just added new ones and after that they worked too. But still it doesn't seem to work in campaign mode.
    -----
    This space intentionally left blank

IIRC there was a list posted by one of the CA team that included all the possible commands/comments that could be add... is that list still around? It may have been for MTW though and might need changing/updating...
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Link to FAQ thread

This may be useful. If ECS can add anymore new commands that were put in for VI (please)

Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

I admit I haven't assigned Hires and Lores shields for my new factions but why would that make a difference to someone like Kerns, for example? They don't come under that bracket, do they?

Quote[/b] (Gregoshi @ May 19 2003,21:32)]Stavka in the Entrance Hall responds to this topic:

-----
    Quote[/b] ]Grell, did you make any changes to any of the unit stats in the Prod 11 files? I am curious because in the VIKINGS txt file you can declare (point to) the prod files that startpos will use.But in the early,high,late txts you do not have that option so if you make changes to the units in the original prod 11 files you might need to do it in the vikikngs prod 11 file also if it reads both files (a guess on my part) and theres a diffrence in the units stats between the prod files that might cause the crash, now mind you this is just a speculation on my part, but it cant hurt to check into it.
    The unit and building prod-files are declarable also in the early, high and late files. And location of map-textures and such. It's just that the original files don't include the comments... I think that all the startpos-files are treated the same way (it wouldn't make sense otherwise), so what's declarable in one of them is also declarable in all.

The Early, High, and Late campaigns are actually completely separate, but they all point to the same unit and prod files and maps and so on. So there's no need to edit all of them for for an Early-based campaign.

This way it's much easier to use mods and still have the original files untouched. All relevant files can have different names from the originals. Except for the files in loc\Eng, it seems.

Also, I have been able to do custom battles with all units from new factions. It was after editing the file d.txt in battle\FacShield\Hires. I noticed that all the included units already worked fine, so I just added new ones and after that they worked too. But still it doesn't seem to work in campaign mode.
    -----
    This heading appears in the Vikings startpos file.../production files to be used for this
    //startpos
    //=======================================
    //NOTES
    // ProdFile - allows you to specify the production files for this startpos
    // usage: Prodfile::
    // where = UNITPROD or BUILDINGPROD
    // = name of prod file, including file extension.
    // example:
    // Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "TargetsUnits.txt" BUILDINGPROD "TargetsBuildings.txt"
    //
    //all Prodfiles must be stored in the Medieval root folder

Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "vikings_unit_prod.txt" BUILDINGPROD "vikings_build_prod.txt"........ and is self explanatory, it allows you to declare the unit prod and build prod files to be used with the startpos, if you are making a mod you would copy both unit and build prod and declare them here and that is what you make your changes in leaving the originals intact. Now Vikings has its own unit and build prod that are seprerate from the early, high, late , and if you can use the declare prodfile function remains to be seen, If you could it does not make sense that the heading would be left out entirely, in fact if you look at the structure of all the era files early,high, late they all seem to be structured diffrently, why I do not know. The point I was trying to make is that you might want to edit the VIKINGS prod file to match the changes you make in the MTW prod file when adding a new faction this was entirely speculative and just an experiment it is something modders do when confronted with a dilemma you try things you think might work and if that dont work you try something else until it does work, how many modders have just experimented to see if something works most likely all of us, its trial and error thats how alot of the things we are able to do today came about Now this issue with changing all the era files to match the modded one is new to me but if it works then do it just back up the original files its a basic modding rule As to why you all are experiencing crashes in campaign mode is something we will figure out eventually , with info from guys like ECS and others and also the trial and error if we dont try it we dont know if it will work or not we dont have a modding manual to go by just the info we share with each other, so telling us something will or wont work if you dont have the solution for the problem doesnt really help.

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ May 20 2003,09:54)]
    Quote[/b] (Gregoshi @ May 19 2003,21:32)]Stavka in the Entrance Hall responds to this topic:

-----

-----
    This heading appears in the Vikings startpos file.../production files to be used for this
    //startpos
    //=======================================
    //NOTES
    // ProdFile - allows you to specify the production files for this startpos
    // usage: Prodfile::
    // where = UNITPROD or BUILDINGPROD
    // = name of prod file, including file extension.
    // example:
    // Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "TargetsUnits.txt" BUILDINGPROD "TargetsBuildings.txt"
    //
    //all Prodfiles must be stored in the Medieval root folder

Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "vikings_unit_prod.txt" BUILDINGPROD "vikings_build_prod.txt"........ and is self explanatory, it allows you to declare the unit prod and build prod files to be used with the startpos, if you are making a mod you would copy both unit and build prod and declare them here and that is what you make your changes in leaving the originals intact. Now Vikings has its own unit and build prod that are seprerate from the early, high, late , and if you can use the declare prodfile function remains to be seen, If you could it does not make sense that the heading would be left out entirely, in fact if you look at the structure of all the era files early,high, late they all seem to be structured diffrently, why I do not know. The point I was trying to make is that you might want to edit the VIKINGS prod file to match the changes you make in the MTW prod file when adding a new faction this was entirely speculative and just an experiment it is something modders do when confronted with a dilemma you try things you think might work and if that dont work you try something else until it does work, how many modders have just experimented to see if something works most likely all of us, its trial and error thats how alot of the things we are able to do today came about Now this issue with changing all the era files to match the modded one is new to me but if it works then do it just back up the original files its a basic modding rule As to why you all are experiencing crashes in campaign mode is something we will figure out eventually , with info from guys like ECS and others and also the trial and error if we dont try it we dont know if it will work or not we dont have a modding manual to go by just the info we share with each other, so telling us something will or wont work if you dont have the solution for the problem doesnt really help.
    LOS,

I was able like you to create a new faction that runs fine on Viking. Viking however uses new units and disabled the build on many traditional units and buildings. I suspect that the bugs that prevented the creation of a new faction in MTW were carried over to this version.

There was plenty of loose talk months ago about a "should be able to" talk about adding factions. Theory is a world of difference from reality. Personally, I have may doubts that it is possible. I hope someone proves me wrong, but no one has yet..
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Another reply from Stavka in the Entrance Hall:

-----
    Quote[/b] ]I admit I haven't assigned Hires and Lores shields for my new factions but why would that make a difference to someone like Kerns, for example? They don't come under that bracket, do they?
    I don't bother with the shields themselves, I just edited the d.txt file in the Hires direcotry. The file's just a list of unit names. And for whatever reason, units that I added to that list worked fine for me in custom battles with new factions. I have no clue whatsoever why this works. Tried and tested it a few times now. Unit not in list does not work until added. Really strange, I know...
    -----

The FacShield entires are not the problem as I have added in new faccheilds (both hi res and low res for the new faction I was testing) and as The Blind King of Bohemia pointed out Kerns dont even use facshields and crash.

Also to answer the Pagan question, in the Early campaign you can do what I did set the CULTURE to Orthodox (or Cath) and the RELIGION to Paga and it works fine, they dont have to be the same. PAGAN culture in the normal campaigns is the Mongols. I have also had catholic culture faction with heretic religion (I was doing an Algibesian crusdae mod but abadoned it).

Still no answer/fix to the weird unit Battle crash??

I am playing the new factions but resorting to selecting auto calculate battle when they are involced in a battle with me (I will release a final version of my mod when (if?) this problemn is sortred)

Thanks for the tip on religions. I can do Bohemians properly now in late as Heretics.

Still no joy with thr units, BTW.

Quote[/b] ]Hi all,

I finally got the VI and spent most of the weekend with the unit production files from CA. (For some reason they don’t work for me at all so some modifications are needed for the quotes and to incorporate all the new features I have created over the past 3 months that I deal with them like boat power calculation, new weapons … etc.)

Some things that I found.
    1. A unit appearing in both files should have the same stats in both of them Else that game crashes. So I have built both the Viking and the normal Crusaders files
    This was taken from a post here in the Dungeon by Komninosit seems he tried what I had speculated on( a few posts ago) about the prod files in VI if you make a chnage to a unit in the prod 11 files you must do it in both of the prod 11 files or else it crashes so double check the units entries in both files and see if they match up that MIGHT be where the problem lies.

I know I might be getting a bit carried away, but has anyone tried adding the eleventh and apparently final new faction into Medieval? I tried to add the Almoravids in Morocco and Southern Spain (want to get Sahara working also) but the game didn't come on. I looked for errors but there were none, and there was nothing I did wrong. Maybe 10 is in fact the limit, not 11. Can anyone expand more light on this?

Also, would it be possible to get the huge unplayable landmass Francaland working in the Viking game? I know someone got Sahara working so it mightn't be impossible. Maybe the Bretons could go there or even the Normans if you want to re-create the Norman COnquest.

Quote[/b] (Grell @ May 20 2003,21:12)]The FacShield entires are not the problem as I have added in new faccheilds (both hi res and low res for the new faction I was testing) and as The Blind King of Bohemia pointed out Kerns dont even use facshields and crash.

Also to answer the Pagan question, in the Early campaign you can do what I did set the CULTURE to Orthodox (or Cath) and the RELIGION to Paga and it works fine, they dont have to be the same. PAGAN culture in the normal campaigns is the Mongols. I have also had catholic culture faction with heretic religion (I was doing an Algibesian crusdae mod but abadoned it).

I am playing the new factions but resorting to selecting auto calculate battle when they are involced in a battle with me (I will release a final version of my mod when (if?) this problemn is sortred)
    Grell,

In another message, Giljay has kindly provided his email address to help debug what the problem is. If your MOD is bug free on the strategic map perhaps you could email your mod to him.

I still have desktop crashes (random) during the strategic game, so I think your MOD is further along than mine.

Quote[/b] (Gregoshi @ May 20 2003,21:08)]Another reply from Stavka in the Entrance Hall:

-----
    Quote[/b] ]I admit I haven't assigned Hires and Lores shields for my new factions but why would that make a difference to someone like Kerns, for example? They don't come under that bracket, do they?
    I don't bother with the shields themselves, I just edited the d.txt file in the Hires direcotry. The file's just a list of unit names. And for whatever reason, units that I added to that list worked fine for me in custom battles with new factions. I have no clue whatsoever why this works. Tried and tested it a few times now. Unit not in list does not work until added. Really strange, I know...
    -----
    In another post, Giljay informed me that the Hires and lowres directory and the d.txt were debug files and are not used in the game.

Member Member GreasePaintMonkeyBrains's Avatar

Ok well i added the welsh to the high period and it all
    works fine in till the battle goes to load up and it getsto about
    20% and it crashes to the desktop. i know im gonna repeat
    someones post with this problem but i could really use some help.

regards
    Monkey
    My Amtgard team has a Drinking problem- The Drunkerds

Welcome to the club, GPMB. Unfortunately, that's the problem everyone seems to be having. If you come up with a solution, please let us know

Quote[/b] (GreasePaintMonkeyBrains @ May 22 2003,11:51)]Ok well i added the welsh to the high period and it all
    works fine in till the battle goes to load up and it getsto about
    20% and it crashes to the desktop. i know im gonna repeat
    someones post with this problem but i could really use some help.

regards
    Monkey
    There is a new post I started that I got a reply from Giljay on regarding new faction creation problems. You shoudl read the posts on it as well.

Yep. Someone please mail giljaysmith@hotmail.com with the new/changed files which are causing the crash, and we'll run them through the debug build to see what the problem is.

NB it's a bank holiday this Monday in the UK so we won't be in to try it until Tuesday.
    Gil ~ CA

This Panda

Stavka in the Entrance Hall says:

-----
    Quote[/b] ]The FacShield entires are not the problem as I have added in new faccheilds (both hi res and low res for the new faction I was testing) and as The Blind King of Bohemia pointed out Kerns dont even use facshields and crash.

Just tried adding 12 factions to the Viking startpos file, bringing the total number of factions to 20 (all MAJOR, don't know if it matters). Everything worked fine, campaign battles perfectly... no problems.
    So, I added another one, a 21st faction... start up the campaign with them, attack random province, battle starts loading... but crashes, just like when adding a 21st faction to the medieval campaigns.

The game does not simply seem to be able to handle a 21st faction in battles.

About the d.txt: I'm fully aware that most units don't have these shields, and that this file shouldn't matter at all. Don't know if your custom battles work with new factions already, but for me it did not work with units not added to the d.txt. Of this I'm 100% sure. Or perhaps it's completely random and they happened to work after adding them. Not very likely, but I'll test it some more.

And I must repeat: I did not add shields or anything else, I ONLY added unit names in that file. Nothing else.
    -----

I can confirm that only 10 new factions will work adding the 11th will always cause a crash.

OK a breakthrough of sorts I have been runing my new mod for quite a while, NEVER ever had a campaign map crash. I have even added/unocked the pagan shrines, added in 3 new agents (Jews, Heretics and Christian Zealots) and heaps more units. I have been playing through as Aragon 3 times (got killed the first 2). Navarre the new faction (in FN_FREE24 slot) I added crashed when it attacked me and the battle map tried to load, later NAvarre conquered Castile and with my allies the Spanish I fought a battle against Navarre, I thought what the hell I will see if it loads and it did?? The battle worked fine but although Navarre had its proper colour as assigned in the Early.txt startpos fiel it had all Spanish flags (a bit confusing but at least the battle worked OK). Later Navarre and ALmhos kicked me out of the game. Turned off the computer and started a new game as Aragon, 10 turns later Navarre attacked me and it had the SPanish battle FLags and shields but still worked fine?? Sweet.

My guess is that somewhere is a temp/or whatever file with the battle graphics data and when you fight a battle with 3 factions (including yourself) somehow the new faction is assigned the missing battle flags/shields of onr of the other factions involved in the battle. So I suppose at this stage I have to start games have a 3 way battles with each of the new factions and everything will be fine (but some battle flags will be mixed up - but I can live with that if it means a crash free game with 10 new factions). Current new factions have:

Baltic Pagans
    Cuman Tribes
    Navaree
    Bohemia
    Danishmendid Turks
    Kingdom of Jerusalem
    Scotland
    Wales
    Sweden
    Flanders

I want to fully test this with all factions some more and then will release my mod in the next week or so.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast