Thread: Changes to startpos files in VI

The production files are simular to the released version, just a couple of extra column to state which units are avaliable to MP. The interesting stuff are in the startpos files.

SetMapTexturesSubdir:: "vikings"
    Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "vikings_unit_prod.txt" BUILDINGPROD "vikings_build_prod.txt"

// Faction declarations.
    DeclareFaction:: "rebellious_badger" // -> assigned to 0
    DeclareFaction:: "faction_underpants" // -> assigned to 1
    DeclareFaction:: "abc" // -> assigned to 2

DeclareLandRegion:: "Blackhill" // -> assigned to 0
    DeclareLandRegion:: "Consett" // -> assigned to 1
    DeclareLandRegion:: "Durham" // -> assigned to 2

SetRegionUnquakeable:: Blackhill
    SetRegionUnfloodable:: Consett

// now that you've declared abc as a faction you can use it here
    PortraitsOverride:: abc "vikings" // ignore the culture and get pictures from here

//conquest glory goal
    RegOwnersFile::"custom_file" // see regowner_table file
    GGConquestReward:: FN_01 1.0
    GloriousToggle:: false // no glory goal mode avaliable

SetFactionMusic:: abc 2 // value can be set to 0 - 5, see playlist file

SetRegionRebels:: Blackhill 1 // assign rebel faction to a region - see rebel_factions_xzy

DeclareTradegoods:: "VIDEO_GAMES" 100
    SetImportPercentage:: 20 // the percentage of the export value imported goods are worth..

SetNameData:: "campmap\\names\\viking_heroes.txt"
    RegionSpecificFile:: "viking_region_specific.txt"
    FactionSpecificFile:: "viking_faction_specific.txt"

SetFactionCol:: abc 110 162 52 255 224 0
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Wow cool stuff ECS, I like the Declare trade goods does this mean we can edit trade goods and add our own ? Also the trade percentage is a great feature. I am working up the trade aspect for our Napoleonic Mod and this opens up alot of possibilties
    Taking life one day at a time!

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Now I know my abc, it's a new ball game for you and me.
    ( or video game or let me think......)

Thanks ECS.

LK

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ April 29 2003,02:23)]
    The production files are simular to the released version, just a couple of extra column to state which units are avaliable to MP. The interesting stuff are in the startpos files.

Are there any new text files available to us in VI? (You made ProjectileStats.txt available in the Patch, IIRC.)

SetMapTexturesSubdir:: "vikings"
    Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "vikings_unit_prod.txt" BUILDINGPROD "vikings_build_prod.txt"

Does this mean that we can declare our own versions of the units and building texts for our mods? If so, what other files can we declare, if any?

DeclareTradegoods:: "VIDEO_GAMES" 100
    SetImportPercentage:: 20 // the percentage of the export value imported goods are worth..

This will be very useful.

SetNameData:: "campmap\\names\\viking_heroes.txt"

Does this mean that the Loc\eng setup is no longer used? This would appear to help with translations, though I admit that I didn't understand how that worked to begin with.

LK and others will like this. Now if you could provide an explanation of the numbers...

Also, one of you guys said that you would be willing to post the spreadsheets used to create the units and buildings texts, as you did before. Since I am looking for something to do between now and Tuesday, I would love to have those to study and to start making version 2 of my mod.

Finally, over at .com, you have awarded free copies of the expansion to the top three finishers of a contest challange. Would you be willing to do the same for the three best/most popular mods currently out?
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

Quote[/b] ]SetNameData:: "campmap\\names\\viking_heroes.txt"

Does this mean that the Loc\eng setup is no longer used? This would appear to help with translations, though I admit that I didn't understand how that worked to begin with.
    I would like to know about this one also the current names file is tedious to translate when trying to add names for a mod. I agree with Wes it is hard to understand.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I was wondering,in medieval the max amount of factions was 20. Has Viking Invasion gave more slots so it could be possible to mod VI factions into the main game without removing any?

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

That look interesting, it looks like it may be possible to change faction colours now which would be helpful for modder I'm sure
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

> Are there any new text files available to us in VI?
    SetNameData:: "campmap\\names\\viking_heroes.txt" - this allows you to add hero and kings, along with names for each faction.
    RegOwnersFile::"custom_file" - lists what faction should own what regions for the home land goals. Sadly new goals cannot be added nor can the "checkpoints" be changed.
    "playlist" - allows you to set up custom battle music. Campaign music cannot be changed without overwriting them.

> Does this mean that we can declare our own versions of the units and building texts for our mods?
    Yes, it also mean you can set up multiplayer stats as complete startpos which you can selected easily within the game.

> Does this mean that the Loc\eng setup is no longer used
    The localisation files are still used, but labels to deal with location like "Wessex" and factions like "Almohad" are seperated into different files as those are different for each mod.

> SetFactionCol:: Now if you could provide an explanation of the numbers...

RGB values, primary and secondry colour for each faction. Values range from 0 to 255.

> tedious to translate when trying to add names for a mod
    The new system is more flexable, but probably no less tedious...

> max amount of factions was 20
    It had always been intended to handle 31 + rebel factions, but due to some unknown oversight or bug, it seems on one has managed to add in extra factions. With VI it is easy to add factions, you can have up to 31 plus rebels.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ May 06 2003,06:33)]> SetFactionCol:: Now if you could provide an explanation of the numbers...

RGB values, primary and secondry colour for each faction. Values range from 0 to 255.
    YeeHaa
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

"max amount of factions was 20
    It had always been intended to handle 31 + rebel factions, but due to some unknown oversight or bug, it seems on one has managed to add in extra factions. With VI it is easy to add factions, you can have up to 31 plus rebels. "

Sweet jumping Jesus

That makes buying this sucker worth it right there This will open up some serious mod opportunities.
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ May 06 2003,13:33)]Yes, it also mean you can set up multiplayer stats as complete startpos which you can selected easily within the game.
    Yes by why wasnt projectile stats put into it too? It really looks great..no doubt about that. But in MP the unit and projectile stats are the most important ones.

I might be able to tweak it to fit with current bows/xbows but not with the arqubus so either its still annoying bat files to swap stats (that still kills any MP stats) or I drop Italian Wars.

CBR

NOoooooOooo Don't drop Italian wars I need my arq pike fixes *curses..throws mud*

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

Hopefully ECS will get back to us on the projectile stats. I would not write it off until he says something. I would bet that you can; it's just a matter of knowing what you need in place of "prodfiles".

ECS, do you know if any of the starting units or buildings have been changed for the standard campaigns (other than the NEW tavern and brothel)?
    This would make it easy for me to paste in my own stuff from the mod.

Btw, guys, I noticed that the port bug for Tunisia has been fixed.

Finally, thanks for cleaning up and expanding the notes, etc. in the files, and giving a short description of the heroes. These are things that aren't going to get you many extra sales, but those of us who enjoy the game the most certainly appreciate them.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

I am sorry, you are stuck with having just the one projectile file. It is very intergrated into the battle map system, I am not a battle map person, and since most people have been moved to other project already, I didn't want to mess with battle map stuff late in the project.

ECS there is alot of talk see "adding new factions in VI" thread here in the dungeon as to how exactly adding a new faction in VI is accomplished, I know as a modder myself this is done by reading the files to get a basic understanding and then trial and error, is there something you could share with all of us interested in adding a new faction to VI that would help us achieve just that , Is it OK? to ask you for a kind of "How To check list for adding a NEW FACTION TO VI I am not to proud to ask, sure eventually we will figure it out but whats the harm in asking ? info like that would help alot of patrons here that are interested in modding and would also be invaluable to some who have wanted to try but thought it to difficult, So what do you say ?

Thumbs up

ECS was kind enough to share info regarding adding factions to VI in the Thread "adding new factions to VI". THANKS AGAIN FOR THE MOST HELPFUL INFORMATION.

The thread on attacking Vikings' homeland has remind me of this, on the SetAttributes:: keyword where you give each region it's stats there is a new switch on the end marked VICTORY CONDITION, if this is set to true, then the region have to be taken for the 60/100% conquest victory. In Viking.txt Hordaland and Jutland are set to false, that means they are not included when working out what percentage towards your total victory.

This can be used to set up interesting mini campaigns where the goal would be to capture a certain region by setting all the false apart from the goal region. If you take the goal then you win the total victory. Now mod away

Cool

I was just thinking that it would be nice
    to do that.

BTW I have noticed your contribution
    to the ORG has been recognized.
    Much deserved IMHO.

Thank you.

LK

I have added a new campmap to the game with the mini maps ETC but when I try to change the startpos files with VI the campaign dosn't show at the campaign selection bit.Is it possible to add new stratmaps as with the original MTW.

Question

It seems when I add the command SetGameEndDate:: to the new startpos in VI it causes the mod file not to show up I am using a copy of Early Txt I have used this command in v 1.1 of MTW and had no problem and it is also written in to the Viking era startpos what gives? ECS any ideas
    ?

I just made a copy of early and stuck
    SetGameEndDate:: 2000
    along with the other dates stuff. Seems to run fine. It must be something else. You sure it's the end date line? Try // the line out and see if it works. See if the keyword directly above and below to see if they have been copy and pasted over.

Question

OK I put in the SetGameEndDate:: 1887 alone and it is fine it is when I edit the SetStartDate::1667 that it does not show up I used this same data in V1.1 of MTW with no probs. I want the campaign to start in 1667 and end in 1887. I know I am probably missing something painfully obviuos, but why it would work in the earlier version and not in VI is what bugs me.

Cool

Got it like I said it was something really obvious and really stupid I can laugh now

I don't know if this has been mentioned but
    this seems a good place to put it anyway .

When the campmap subdir command is used ,

SetMapTexturesSubdir:: "closebutnocigar" //for example

you must give the same subdirectory title to the rest of
    the subdirectories linked to your mod.
    Just like the file structure of the VI expantion pack .

The subdirectory name must be one word
    well no spaces anyway

So
    SetMapTexturesSubdir:: "close but no cigar" // will result in not even getting close .

"_" underscores seems to a valid syntax .

So
    SetMapTexturesSubdir:: "close_but_no_cigar" // should be ok .

This may be obvious if you understand all about the
    directories not having a space in the name
    or you got divine knowledge maybe
    but I tought it might help someone .

Regards,

LK

When modding the Viking campaign map to be more in the original campaign's timeline, how can you disable the historical events that pop up? They seem to crash the game for all the factions except for the faction we've modded to be the English (the Saxons originally). Any ideas?