Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unit_prod11/build_prod13 /ProjectileStats Editor

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

What exactly did you attempt? I checked how this would work with VI also it seems to open and read the files just fine because the structure seems the same but I have not attemted to edit anything yet it might be that some fields or data might have changed in VI I will E-Mail Lord Gnome and see if he has VI or is attemting an update if needed.
    Taking life one day at a time!

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

I started using it with VI yesterday and it works fine..

Always check the unit file in notepad for errors as the editor can do some strange stuff sometimes. It can add some lines below..check for that.

CBR

Hi guys, brace yourselves... I'm not really 'into' MTW much atm hence I don't own the vikings expansion pack.

Having said that it may yet be possible for me to modify the gnomeEditor, it's possibly just a slight difference in formatting rather than anything more major.

If someone can provide me with all the new build and crusader files I'll check the formatting out and see what's going on.
    (mailto: LordGnome@craven-griffiths.net)

For modders who are already modding the unit stats successfully maybe you can provide a few pointers for me as to what the differences are, hopefully it's just a different number of fields or even just an extra/less tab at the end of each line.

I'm not going to be able to test without the expansion pack so perhaps someone (or some Lord ) can volunteer to be a beta tester for this?

Also, if anyone wants the source code (vb6) to tinker with I'll be happy to provide it. (btw - LittleRaven, did you ever get anywhere with the source code?)

[EDIT: It seems there may not be a problem after all, if there isn't no worries if there is then go-ahead and mail me the files]

Now, I'll see if I can answer some of the questions posted previously...

Trash Text at bottom of Build file : If the editor is adding the trash text then something isn't right Looking at the code I can't understand where it's coming from but if you mail me an example of a corrupted build file I'll see what can be done about it.

Error message "More than 40,000 chars in a single record" : The editor reads in the string data a char at a time until it hits a tab char. I added this message primarily to stop a fatal error occuring when you open a non-unit/build/projectile txt file in by mistake. (40,000 is an arbitarily high number) Again, send me the build file causing the error and I'll take a look at what's going on.

"Runtime Error '7': Out Of Memory" : This error only seems to occur in win98. I've done a little 'research' (ie. browsed some vb newsgroups) re this and it's a problem with how micro$oft has implemented stuff in the dll's for vb. Basically the dll's are pretty shoddy, it's better in win2000 and onwards because of the way memory stuff is managed under the hood. No easy solution I'm afraid.

various questions re: column labels and units : (a quick aside - Cuirassier66, I think yours is the mail I lost during a reformat of my win2k installation I do try and answer all email queries so apologies to you if this is the case.) I'm actually unable to answer most of these questions with any certainty and I suspect there are others here who know far more than me re this stuff but FWIW here are my thoughts;
    col 18 : I think it makes no difference what order there in, but try it and see. The only description of these terms is what you find in the txt files AFAIK.
    col 27-31 : I don't know how to quantify these units but in a sense it's not important. You can see the values for various different units so adjust relative to these and experiment. if you give a footsoldier the same value speed as a cav it will move as fast as a cav and so on.
    col 32/33 : Off the top of my head I can't remember but I'm fairly certain I did once read some info on the turn speed values here in the dungeon somewhere, so ummm, don't know, sorry.
    col 45 : I *think* these values are for AI use rather than indicating actual unit abilities. Again, I never found a list of any of these values outside of the files themselves.

Will you be releasing another editor or add funtionality so that you can edit campaign text files? Apart from updating the editor to work with the viking expansion pack it's unlikely. A startpos editor is definitely doable from a technical standpoint but it would be a HUGE undertaking if it were to have any real use (like internal error checking, there's still a lot of 'unknown' rules IIRC). Until MTW (or a sequel...) has a multiplayer mode for the strategic level it will fail to hold my interest I'm afraid, and if I'm not playing a game I'm unlikely to spend a lot of time modding for it, sorry.

I no longer visit these forums much so questions re: the editor are best mailed to me if you want my input. I will check back now and again though to see how things are ticking along

Happy Modding

Lord Gnome

I sent you the files.

I see loads of trash text when deleting text. I removed everything in column 53 and everything or most of it was basically just put in below the unit lines. Sometimes I see a few hmm square signs too...sometimes its a problems and mtw cant start..sometimes its not.

CBR

Looks like there's a format different...

from WesW crusader_unit_prod11.txt, here's how to declare what faction can produce a given unit (in this case, Teutonic Sgts):
    "GERMAN_HRE, DANISH, POLISH, HUNGARIAN"

to work with VI, it has to be:
    "FN_GERMAN_HRE, FN_DANISH, FN_POLISH, FN_HUNGARIAN"

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Gnome @ May 11 2003,11:45)]I'm not going to be able to test without the expansion pack so perhaps someone (or some Lord ) can volunteer to be a beta tester for this?

Happy Modding
    I would be glad to beta test for this Lord Gnome, I must say for someone who says they have lost interest in MTW and has not spent much time around the forums . your very quick replies to the e- mails sent and your recent post here at the ORG, and your willingness to update the Gnome editor if needed,Is very much appreciated ,anything else I can do to help don't hesitate to ask, again thank you
    Taking life one day at a time!

hi,
    1st, I would thank Lord Gnome for his exellent work.
    I've tried the editor for many times with different things. I've tried to mod the unit attributes/ building (including valour improvements etc)/ projectile stats.... the editor worked all fine with VI. I used the editor to get all the viking units to be playable in the main game, it also worked.

Has anyone else tried?

The gnome editor appears to work fine with VI crusaderprodfile. However there is at least one additional
    data column added to VI from MTW. The new data column at the end of each unit is for Startpos.

I tried to cut and paste the new units data into my old MTW modded data and it won't work because of the new data column. Looks like I will have to manually transfer my old modded data changes into the new crusprodfile. Massive job...

Yes lots of work sigh. After one week Im still not finished...but next week heh

CBR

Magistrate of Pirkka Member Sebastian Seth's Avatar

Default Re: unit_prod11/build_prod13 /ProjectileStats Editor

I Have MTV & VI, WinXpSp1 and Gnome works fine in all files.

Would it be possible to add units in next versions?
    (dont' mean the graphs & stuff, just a line in txt file)
    Humans very easy to make and very hard to understand. - SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12