Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Animations in MTW - how, what, where, why and \"lots more\"

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Duke John @ May 20 2003,05:57)]
    On the subject of the different camera angles. There are 8 angles, meaning 360/8=45 degrees difference per angle. Since there's no direct front angle and the angles are all mirrored, you can conclude for the semi-front angle: 45/2=22 degrees (since it's mirrored). This will get you the following angles for making new unit animations: 22, 67, 112 and 157 degrees.

Quite true I messed up the maths when starting this thread DJ's angles are far more correct.

About the x/y origin that are stated in the first two numbers per line per action in ActionPage\unitname.txt. They should have the value of the difference between the x,y coordinates of the image rectangle and the x,y coordinates of the bottom left of your model most of the time his right foot).

Er ... not true

The x/y origins are (IMHO) an arbitary value that represent a specific point that is useful for the rendering of other shapes/images that are relative to thge x/y origin of the orignal image

For example -

a) x/y origins for infantry are based on the positinng of shields and weapons.
    b) x/y origins for cavalrymen are based on the positioning of the saddle area on the mount.
    c) x/y origins for mounts are based on the relative proportion (between the mounts saddle area and the ground) between the mount and the terrain surface.

Believe me - it's true

If you require further examples (over and above those in this writeup) - let me know

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Let's first make clear that we both talk about the same. I mean the first 2 numbers in the lines concerning image rectangles that are under the different actions.

When I first edited those lines I had for example:
    Stand
    10 10 200 100 300 200

Where 10 10 is the x/y origin (or not if I misunderstood you)
    This led to my Uruk-Hai legs disappearing into the ground if zoomed out enough. I concluded from this that my x/y was around the middle of the model where it should have been at his feet. So I changed it to:
    Stand
    10 40 200 100 300 200

Now the x/y was lower, namely at the Uruk-Hai feet and I had no further problems with the unit disappearing into the ground.

Note: if my explanation of x/y origin is different than yours than replace all the x/y origin with "x/y basepoint".

Edit: I looked up "arbitary" (can't we just speak dutch ). And no it isn't. As I said it does make a difference on positioning the unit.
    Consider this: the image rectangles for angle 112 may be very wide or high because of extended arms or weapons. But for angle 157 the image rectangle is pretty small. To avoid having the unit jump from one position to another when it changes angle MTW uses the x/y coordinates. This way the central axis of the model stays at the same point.

If I haven't made myself clear enough, I'll add pictures.

Further edit: I don't argue about your points considering positioning items or horses. Only that x/y coordinates is also used for holding the unit in the same place while the image rectangles changes in size in the animationcyclus.

Is there any way to fast track those 12 pages of animation? I've been drawing over the originals and its taking forever to get even one figure done.

Lord de Clare
    "Ad majoram Dei gloriam"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234