Thread: FacShields question

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

I ran into a problem with some facshields I've been editing, does anybody know a solution?
    Forgive me if it doesn't make 100% sense, I'm still pondering things

I made 14 new factions with their own shields, flags, facshields etc. overriding the first 14 factions in the game.

The problem is when I select X faction, and change the colour to that of Y faction, when the battle starts the facshields the men carry are for Y faction.

I would name factions, but not yet

This means in battles like 2v2++ if two teams are the same faction, one would have to carry another factions facshield, which I really don't want

I asked a friend to run some tests selecting VI factions with different colours while I had my modded files still installed, and all that happens is the colours change but the facshields keeps the correct emblem. So obviously somewhere along the lines I have to make facshields to support all the colour schemes? Or is this a hard-coded function which I can't edit?

If so the only real solution would be a generic facshield for every clan that doesn't represent anything but that would make the mod a lot less authentic

Anybody experienced/solved this problem?
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

Why would you overwite the other 14? theres room for 32 I belive, man 32 factions...how cool
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but you did check the filenames for the bifs and the shield definitions in the starpos files?

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ June 20 2003,13:26)]If so the only real solution would be a generic facshield for every clan that doesn't represent anything but that would make the mod a lot less authentic
    There is a generic systme for Facshields.

Look in the folders "\Battle\FacShield\Hires\xxx" and "\Battle\FacShield\Lores\xxx".

For every unit that may have faction shields (eg GothicSergeants) there is a shield image for every faction within these folders.

Yes - you must change these for VI - regardless of what colour you've chosen for your new faction, simply because they are moddable. Whilst you may choose colour A for a faction certain units within that faction may have different coloured shields, thus making it far nmore moddable and allowing a degree of "uniqueness" for any unit that has facshields defined.

Umm Wellington, no there isn't

Run this as a test (this is what I had someone do for me):

Choose a Cath faction, eg France, and choose colour England. Choose any of the fac shield units (eg. FeudSergs) and enter game.

Notice that the units still carry the French emblem on their shields, but it is not Blue/Yellow of France it is Red/White of England.

This means somewhere the game has converted the French banner to English colours, but I don't see any French banners in other colours anywhere?

Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ June 21 2003,12:51)]Umm Wellington, no there isn't

Run this as a test (this is what I had Baz do for me):

Choose a Cath faction, eg France, and choose colour England. Choose any of the fac shield units (eg. FeudSergs) and enter game.

Notice that the units still carry the French emblem on their shields, but it is not Blue/Yellow of France it is Red/White of England.

This means somewhere the game has converted the French banner to English colours, but I don't see any French banners in other colours anywhere?
    Ok, I'll check this out.

I presumed (and as it appears somewhat presumtuously) that the MTW facshield system was basically the same as the Vi offereing.

Sounds like I'm wrong here.

I'll check it out, but I certainly won't be wasting my time on it. I've already discovered that VI is a dog to mod.

Ok, ECS told us as much in previous posts. If the facshield system has also changed for VI then that just adds credence to my opinion ...

... forget VI ... just mod for MTW 1.1

I won't be checking this FI. After 9 weeks I've experienced too much grief in attempting to realise the various hyped potential VI features that, unfortunately, both myself and others have wasted so much time upon.

If this is really what you have discovered, FI, I can only suggest you accept VI for the over-hyped "modding vallala" that it was - and direct your efforts towards realisable goals (MTW 1.1).

Welly

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ June 21 2003,18:51)]Choose a Cath faction, eg France, and choose colour England. Choose any of the fac shield units (eg. FeudSergs) and enter game.

That sound's normal to me.

You have to change the facshield like welly said,
    I tought anyway.

Umm Wellington, no there isn't

if you talking about "\Battle\FacShield\Hires\xxx"

well I have them in mine
    D:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Battle\FacShield\Hires\ChivalricKnights

This is from my pc.

If you tell a faction to use another colour they will
    but not another shield.

Am I missing something here?

LK

In answer to MiniKiller:

14new factions + 20original factions = 34factions total = not enough free faction slots.
    Plus, I intend to add even more so maybe 30 new factions.

L_K,

Quote[/b] ]If you tell a faction to use another colour they will
    but not another shield.
    I would run that test myself, but I put all my modded files in and I have no installer/uninstaller yet so it takes a while to swap back and forth. I should really install 2 versions of VI but I don't like doing that

But, if you do it yourself..... you chose English, and French colours. Go into battle, the English shield is now Blue and Yellow but it still has the English Lions on it..

Like I said in my other post, if you look in the facshields dir, where are the English shields in Almohad colours? Or the French shields in Italian colours? They're not there, so how are these generated?

Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

I'm not an expert on this but it sounds to me like you
    have change the faction colours in the startpos.

Is this possible , even just swapping them around ?

Apart from that I can't replicate your problem .

I only tested it briefly though with one faction.

Sorry that's all I can think of

LK

Have tried that and nothing changed.

Perhaps it is the colours shields campmap\shields\colours will test this later when at home. I haven't actually changed these because I don't know what colours they need to be yet.
    I still don't think that will make any change though.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

This is kind of a silly question but since I now have VI maybe its different. How do I make the non playable factions...playable? I have to do it by hand becasue I dont have the internet hooked up to the computer that runs VI. Thank You.
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

This is near the bottom so *kick to the top*

Thanks for the help ahead of time

Sorry for not posting for a bit.

MiniKiller, your problem is in the startpos files. Look in MTW\campmap\startpos and open up the Early.txt in wordpad/notepad.
    Search manually, or use the auto search, for the SetActiveFaction lines. Change all the FN_MINOR to FN_MAJOR and then save. Do the same for High.txt and Late.txt and you should find them playable. It won't have all 20 factions available in one era, just make the ones that are there by default all playable.

Sorted all shields/emblems except facshields which I can't find anyway to solve. So will look at giving the facshields a plain colour. That'd be for the MP mod anyway, the SP mod could have an installer to put the real shields on since this problem doesn't effect SP.

Oh yeah, I intend this to be "two" mods, SP and MP.

Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

has this been solved yet?
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.