Thread: Spec's Campaign: Takeda / 1530 / Expert / 60

Default Spec's Campaign: Takeda / 1530 / Expert / 60

Takeda / 1530 / Expert / 60 Unit Size

My name is Takeda Nobutora. I have been the Daimyo of the Takeda clan in the Kai province since my father, Takeda Nobutsuna, died of an illness 23 years ago.

Since 1519 I have been contemplating my shogunate rise to unify Japan in Fuchu's palace complex, Tsutsujigaseki.

Recently, I have battled with a provincial rival, Nobutatsu, who was supported by Imagawa Ujichika. Together, they ordered their general, Kushima Masanari, to launch an attack into Kai. The attack was quickly dealt with, and the Imagawa backed general retired in shame, becoming a monk. I will keep my eye on him to ensure he does not return as a problimatic Ronin army.

After my victory over Imagawa's conspirings, I had a son. His name is Takeda Shingen. He is nine years old now and is learning his arts very well. He shall be my heir.

The year is now 1530 and I am now ready to start my campaign that will place the Takeda clan as Shogunate in unity of Japan. With our heavy cavalry, the Takeda army is the most feared in Japan, and we have a firm hold of the Kai province.

Even though my army is fierce, my numbers are currently limited. I fear that the other clans see this and shall attempt to cut the head off of the dragon before it has a chance to rise. I will ensure that this does not happen. In order to do so, I am contemplating on quickly conquering the rich Musashi province so that I may raise and support a sizable army that will enable my power projection, while successfully defending my current holdings.

Forever Valiant, "Semper Fi"
    l2k-Spec-Ops_X
    Commander of the l2k Armies

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Spec's Campaign: Takeda / 1530 / Expert / 60

It's good to see someone new taking an old veteran out for a spin....good luck! I had been thinking of doing an AAR for one of the historical campaigns...hasn't been done AFAIK Perhaps your AAR will inspire me to get off my lazy duff
    High Plains Drifter

After studying the province, I have learned that Mushashi is very well defended and I am not ready to attack just yet. I am ready to attack the Ronin holding Shinano and will need that provinces sand and iron for an armory; however, I feel that the Hojo daimyo would stab me in the back if my forces left Kai for an expedition northward. With these factors taken into account, instead of starting my campaign of attack, I've decided to wait and spend time and resources on developing mine complexes in the silver and gold mines we've recently discovered in Kai and Aki. These mines will be essential in financing the start of my campaign without Musashi. Imagawa is now an ally after I married their daimyo's daughter.

I've learned from my spies that, if left unchecked, Hojo would attack me in Kai. I do not need a war with Hojo right now. I'd like to continue my resource commitment to building the mine complexes rather than raise my army prematurely without the income of the mines. Instead, I've sent my spy agents to the Hojo provinces to insight rebellion in his own lands. This shall wear down his forces and keep him out of too pre-occupied to attempt an attack on Kai.

The mine complexes have finished and are providing me with enough resources to raise a capable army. My son, Takeda Shingen, came of age and has grown to be quite a capable general. Unfortunately, the Imagawa have attacked the Ronin of Shinano and now claim the land for themselves. The army guarding the province is numerous, so before I attack, I shall employ the same Ronin tactic I perscribed to the Hojo in order to widdle down their forces while I build mine up.

Oppurtunity has temporarily diverted my attention away from the armories of Shinano and towards the rich province of Musashi. The Uesugi have lost all of their alliances with other clans save the Shimazu. Musashi's soldiers are plenty, but I shall let the Ronin soften them up before I send Takeda Shingen to annihilate them. I will not be able to depend on my Shinobi to insight rebellion for much longer. The other clans have started to employ counterspies to identify and execute my insurgents and ensure that their own populations remain loyal.
    Last edited by l2k-Spec-Ops_X; 01-01-2011 at 22:26.
    l2k-Spec-Ops_X

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    It's good to see someone new taking an old veteran out for a spin....good luck! I had been thinking of doing an AAR for one of the historical campaigns...hasn't been done AFAIK Perhaps your AAR will inspire me to get off my lazy duff
    =) I'm glad to be a cause for inspiration! Reading Caravel's Hojo AAR (does AAR stand for After Action Report?) is what inspired me to join the board and create an AAR myself. I only wish that I could run STW in windowed mode so that it would be easier to obtain the screenshots, jot some notes and get back to the game xD. Nonetheless here is my update:

Takeda Shengen dutifully took to the battlefield against the Uesugi in Mushashi. Having learned of my intentions, my Imagawa and Hojo allies also sent contingent forces of there own into the highly defended province. The Uesugi were overcame, but things turned treacherous when my allies turned against me on the battle field. My calculated move, with the intentions of not alienating my ally neighbors, has backfired and has instead turned them against me.

Being surrounded on all sides with hostility, I am forced to dig in and amass more armies to defend my holdings. Fortunately, Mushashi had a port and I was able to quickly reinforce Takeda Shengen with well seasoned archers from the Aki province. In doing so; however, the Shimazu thought that they could attack Aki from it's port. They sorely learned just how well my archers can defend their lands.

Having been forced to spend my koku on reinforcements for defense, my treasury is running low. And with the small amount of land I have, I am unable to keep pace with the armies being raised around me by my enemies as their provincial holdings grow in size. I must accept the risk and expand further if I am to remain relevant. The Uesegi have many holdings and are a rich clan, but were dealt a tremendous blow after my victory in Musashi. Their armies dwindle further as they constantly defend themselves from assaults by the Imagawa. While sending Takeda Shengen to Shimosa to cut the Uesegi army in half, I have left the legendary archers of Aki in Mushashi where they have successfully defended our holdings from armies nearly twice their size. Rain of death from every hill proved to be too much for Imagawa's men and they have abandoned their campaign. And after taking Shinano from them, they soon sent a diplomat to request a ceasefire. Shrewdly, the Hojo are negotiating an alliance with my diplomats.

My alliance with Hojo has paid off as they assist my attack in the rich province of Echigo. With my expansion into new lands, I am able to setup more training dojo's to build my armies further. The once great Uesegi daimyo is buckling. His power is waning, and soon I will finish him and inhabit his lands for myself.
    Last edited by l2k-Spec-Ops_X; 01-02-2011 at 21:02.
    l2k-Spec-Ops_X

My plans to overthrow the Uesugi daimyo and assimilate his people are put on hold. Lord Oda has attacked my prized province of Shinano this summer. I will need Shinano to produce the finest Cavalry in all Japan and I will not lose this land easily. I have ordered my men to retreat to the castle and await reinforcements. Takeda Shingen has disengaged with the Uesugi in Shimosa and is making haste towards Shinano.

It would be winter before Takeda Shengin came to the relief of Shinano. Lord Oda's forces were easily defeated. I shall reinforce this province before letting Takeda Shingen resume his campaign to defeat the Uesugi.

My armies have routed all of Uesugi's forces to the province of Mutsu, where Lord Uesugi and his only heir are both holed up in Sendai Castle. Takeda Shingen is poised to deliver the decapitating blow.
    l2k-Spec-Ops_X

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Terrific AAR thus far. I have enjoyed reading it. You seem to provide good career options for Shinobi! :) :O
    Silence is beautiful

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Ahh yes...the "joys" of defending Shinano from all comers. Central location, iron sands, the finest cavalry in all of Japan......

I'm a little surprised that Oda has managed to amass that many troops to send to Shinano this early in the game?!? Perhaps he is leaving his hinterlands ripe for clandestine operations?
    High Plains Drifter

After defeating the Uesugi daimyo, I've decided that I will not unnecessarily stretch my borders at this time. Instead, I will invest in infrastructure improvements for my current holdings. This does not mean that I will rest on my laurels and let my enemies share the same advantage.

I have re-equipped Takeda Shingen's army with my finest soldiers and have charged him with chasing down and killing the Shimazu daimyo and his heirs, as well as the current Oda daimyo. He will not hold the lands he conquers, instead Shingen will employ a scorched earth policy -- pillaging and destroying all crops and infrastructure in his wake.

The year is 1557 and I, Takeda Shingen, have assumed leadership of the Takeda clan after my father's passing due to an illness. I aim to honor his life and memory by achieving the goals and prosperity that he has thusfar campaigned so fervently towards. Unlike my father; however, who made brilliant strategic decisions from the hilt of our clan's sword, I will lead the tip of our army's spear. My enemies shall see my face in person, just before meeting Death in spirit.

A story has spread throughout my army that Death has heard such horrendous stories from my fallen enemies that even he runs away from our advancing forces; which leaves us invincible on the battlefield. While this story might be a farce, its repeated telling gives my troops great pride and honor.

Continuing on the scorced earth campaign that my father first set me on, I have completed the first leg of the last mission he gave me and defeated the Shimazu daimyo. His son has taken command and is on his way from western Japan. He does not know what lies in store for him when he reaches his destination. In the meantime, I shall divert my attention to the Oda daimyo nearby.

I was successful in quickly dispatching Lord Oda as Lord Shimazu entered my region. I quickly routed the new leader. Just before decapitating Lord Shimazu with my own sword, he held the largest armies and the most abundant land. Except for my holdings in Aki, the Shimazu laid claim to every province from the seas of West Japan to the doorsteps of East Japan. Perhaps his outstretched armies were his downfall, as half of his army was dedicated to fighting the Hojo in the South when I would chase him to his demise in the North. Having no allies upon his death, his immense kingdom has been reduced to Ronin city-states.

There was a time when the Oda were our greatest adversary, but at the moment, the Oda clan is a malnurished bird with a broken wing. When Lord Oda's son took over the clan, the Ronin were at the verge of conquering their last provincial holdings in Etchu. Not wanting to see such a great adversary fall in such a manner, I came to the new daimyo's aid and threw out the Ronin. After meeting with the new daimyo I've discovered he is a shrewd and honorable man. We have offered him an alliance that he has accepted without regret. I will protect his borders from further invasion and give him time to rebuild his once proud clan.

After insuring Oda's peace and prosperity for ten years and reveling in unprecedented harmony between our clans, the great Lord Oda died and his foolish son took power. Almost at once he mocked my forces close protection around his borders and he would harass my men with his puny army, only to be turned back by the likes of my men's yūjo. He is a madman and his treachory has angered me to no end. For once, I will bear full malace and he will feel the full, true wrath of my might!

My overwhelming defeat over the incompetant Lord Oda has swelled my troops honor and propelled my mythos to new heights with my enemies.
    Last edited by l2k-Spec-Ops_X; 01-04-2011 at 16:02.
    l2k-Spec-Ops_X

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Ahh yes...the "joys" of defending Shinano from all comers. Central location, iron sands, the finest cavalry in all of Japan......

I'm a little surprised that Oda has managed to amass that many troops to send to Shinano this early in the game?!? Perhaps he is leaving his hinterlands ripe for clandestine operations?
    You would be correct. And the Shimazu capitalized on this by expanding into Lord Oda's western territories; which is also a surprise to me as I've never seen the Shimazu so aggressive and successfull early in the game as well.
    l2k-Spec-Ops_X

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Nice to see some activity here in ye ol' Sword Dojo, l2k-Spec-Ops_X. Welcome . I've been enjoying your report.

STW is my favorite game of all time, and I've invested waay too many hours in it. Of late, I've been playing other games, but I always return to good ol' Shoggy. I dread the day I can no longer run it on a modern platform.

I've found that the AI clans behave differently depending on which clan the player selects. When an Eastern clan (Uesugi, Hojo, Takeda) is chosen, the Shimazu step up their game. I've also noticed that the aggressiveness of the player tends to affect the rate at which they expand. My style of play is to constantly (but not recklessly) push. I spend freely as I get in order to do this, my treasury rarely exceeding 5000 koku for more than one turn, and I rarely get to build higher than the first level of Dojo upgrades. The greenies are usually knocking on the gates of Kyoto by the time I've conquered the east and start to approach Yamashiro. I've even seen them send (small, insignificant) port raids against Kawachi and Owari once I've established myself there (and built a port).

In all the years of play, I have never seen a 7-star general! I tend to use my 6-stars as "immovable mountains" that anchor expansion efforts, rather than command the expansion efforts themselves, so that I can develop a nice pool of 4-star generals. Quite impressive, and inspiring in that I now have a style of play to try when I get back to another STW binge.

Thanks for your contribution, and good luck with the campaign. Looking forward to reading more.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo