Thread: How to rid of the stupid timer?

I'm sure most of you feel the same, after a long hard battle, the CPU decides to play cheap (on harder difficulties) and does dirty tactics like retreat/run circles around the map 10 times to waste your time! Is there some kind of user-made patch, hack, or trainer to disable the annoying timer? Thanks!!

P.S.- I find the harder difficulties unfair, not that their too hard, but just plain not fun due to the fact that Ashigaru can kick my Warrior Monks ass! That sucks, I thought harder difficulty meant harder AI, not unfair scales like the weak peasant Ashigaru pounding the crap out of my Monks. Is there any solution to editing/changing this?? I'd love to try the harder levels, so the AI can actually build huge armies and make my conquest of Japan that much harder.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

you can turn the timer off in the OPTIONS menu when you first load up your game.

Always ply with Timer Off m8 even in MP...

------------------

Clan Kenchikuka

First, as stated - the timer can be turned off in the Options screen.
    Depending on the game I use it, or not. Some do, some don't. You seem to choose the "don't" path. Either way - have fun.

Now - as to higher levels of difficulty - the AI starts with a number of advantages in a SP game at higher levels. First, their infrastructure is more advanced, giving them more koku to build with, better units to build, and a stronger security network. The strategic AI shows little improvement, other than wiser choices of when, where and with what to attack. The Tactical AI itself is not "better" at higher levels of difficulty. However, AI troops are given honor bonuses at higher difficulty levels - which does allow those Ashigura to beat your WM's (head to head) when you play at the most difficult setting. This forces you to rely increasingly on seperating your enemy from his cohorts, flanking or rearing him, along with adding greater importance on proper use of "supporting" units such as archers and guns. This DOES make tactical battles more difficult, in addition to forcing you to not rely on numbers but to carefully plan every stage of battle so that you maximize your destructive potential against the units you will face while minimizing the danger to your troops.

This is one of the reasons I personally cherish Naginata Infantry over all other foo soldiers, as they are the best equiped to survive an extended encounter, giving me the longest time to properly turn a flank.

Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Shoko:
    Always ply with Timer Off m8 even in MP...

[/QUOTE]

Its not 'even in MP' its a total must unless you want to be known as mud.

Phew! Thanks for the replies all! Didn't notice the Timer in the options, and I could have sworn I read a thread like this a few months ago where some people were having the same prob w/ the timer.

Skkzarg, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for opening my eyes a bit wider, I can see a bit further now. I'll give Hard and Extreme a few more tries later, I'll just remember to pump up my Weps/Armor/Honor before I step into battle to maximize my chances. And also, I love Naginata too. These guys are the bomb especially when facing a cavalry charge, and are good for protecting the sides in case of a sudden flank (the AI is known to appear to retreat, when they turn and flank your side).

And what was that with the "mud" joke?

Timer does'nt make much sense in my opinion. That just my opinion.

------------------
    TeuTonic
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

I suppose using a timer if u want to test your speed in battle is cool, like adding a challenge, but if u are using it in multiplayer be sure to tell your opponent...

The point of the timer is to "simulate" the passage of time. It was not overly common for battles to be done at night during the period in question, not to mention that the lighting on the battlefield (or the lack thereof to be precise) for darkness battles would cause too many visual issues. This is why Winter battles are shorter than summer battles, etc. Granted - historically some battles spanned multiple days, but CA was and is limited by requirements of good gameplay. Overall, the timer is a nice addition - especially since it is an OPTION, and not a manditory "feature". Microsoft would do well to understand the difference. ROFL!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

using the timer in winter sp battles is good, because with armour on and it snowing, your men wouldn't really want to be fighting for long anyway. Mp timer is bad though.