Thread: Training/Upgrading Units - I\'m confused (easily done)

I cant find it in the manual but i'm sure i read somewhere that you can upgrade units after they have been created. For example can I produce a Cav unit in a province that produces high quality cav units then send them to another province that say produces better armour and upgrade their armour too.

Or was i just dreaming?

Any help appreciated, WB.

Hey Whiskey

This upgrade/retrain thingy is only applicable to the Mongol Invasion and Warlord Edition of Shogun, and you do it like this.

1 move the army containing the unit you want to upgrade/retrain into the province that will do the upgrading/retraining.

2 once it's there, left-click the army to show the units that are in it on the preview panel ( that's the panel that's at the bottom of the screen )

3 open up the training parchment.

4 left-click-and-drag your selected unit from the preview panel into the training queue.

That's all there is to it. When that unit's training is complete he'll drop back onto the stratrgy map fully geared up, just like a brand new unit would.

Maybe we should have put this in the manual...

------------------
    Quote MagyarKhans Cham:
    i even suspect Target is coming here to hype things up.[/QUOTE]
    "i even suspect Target is coming here to hype things up."
    MagyarKhans Cham

hehehe again!

------------------
    Sarcasm . . . . . Never!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

If you just want to up the armour and/or weapons you just need the swordsmiths and armories, you don't need the dojo's. If however you want to replenish the troops you need to have the respective dojo aswell.

------------------
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

caould you give a unit more armour if it had no dojos, becasue i thought if a province had no dojos the error box would pop up, so you couldn't drag any units in.

------------------
    TeuTonic
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

yes. . . quite. . .

------------------
    Sarcasm . . . . . Never!

WarlordWarrior

[This message has been edited by JAG (edited 12-31-2001).]
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

That's just nit-picking guys.

You don't need the specific dojos for updates, you just need to have ONE building that can produce troops, any type will do.

------------------
    For example, suppose now I have this unit of 60 muskets (honor 1) that I produced from the training post of Tosa, with no updates whatsoever.

And I have this province AKI with legendary everything (swordsmith, armory, palace, and drill dojo), but with NO training post thus can NOT produce muskets whatsoever.

But this doesn't bother me, as long as I have some dojo that can allow me to open up the training queue window, for instance, a plain old archer's dojo. Then I can update my muskets the way you guys mentioned above. After a turn, I'll have a unit of muskets that are armed to the teeth.
    ---------------------------------------

In general, one can say that updates or retraining are very similar:

If you have some troop producing facility, you can give the unit whatever best updates available in the province, be it weapon, armor, moral or discipline.

And you happen to have the very same dojo that can produce the same type of the troops of the unit, two things will happen:

1) if the retrained unit is not of full strength, the dojo will replenish the number.

2) for the existing troops in the unit, the game will check the honors of each individual unit, and decides whether to INCREASE the soldier's honor, or to keep it intact, depends on which honor is greater: the soldier's current honor, or the honor that the dojo can produce.

-------------------

For instance, suppose you have a unit of 20 WMs, 10 of them are of honor 5, 10 are of honor 1. And you put them in the training queue of KII with temple complex. And what will happen?

well, since KII can produce honor 3 WM in this case, first, it'll add 40 honor 3 WM soliders to the unit to bring it to the full strength.

Then for the previouis 20 soldiers, 10 of them (with honor 1) are going to get a boost in honor, bringing them to honor 3. The rest 10 honor 5 WM will remain intact.

---------------------------

Again, this question has been asked for so many many times, that one should really add the topic to the strategic archive.

But no body seems to give a damn.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 01-01-2002).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Ok Guys, thanks very much for the info and apologies if its been covered before but i just couldnt find it. So now im off to build an invicible army.

Thanks again, WB.

Originally posted by Gothmog-san:
    Quote But no body seems to give a damn.[/QUOTE]You said the magic words, Gothmog-san.

Although this is not strictly a strategy (unless you count it as a strategy because it isn't in the manual ), I put it there anyway in the interest of ease of linking. You took the time to explain it very well, too. Thank you.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Pain is weakness leaving the body.