Thread: Really annoying change in MI/We...

Who was the one that decided making bridges wider was a good thing??? I used to be able to hold a bridge with 3-5 high honor Sam Archers, even against WM, ND or NI. HC gave me more problems, but I always have a spiker or 2 handy for that. But now - with these lame, stupid, "extra-wide, deluxe, super charge-accomodating" models that are in MI/WE now, you need a bloody miracle to hold a bridge without MASSIVE firepower - meaning 6-8 archers in square formations putting 350 - 450+ arrows into the chargers as they cross, per volley! And then - you end up with a few idiots standing in the wrong place, getting arrows to the back of their skulls, while only 20 guys may fall under that seriously heavy barrage.

These bridges suck. First off - a guy should not be able to charge across it in freakin formation at top speed, nor should it be wide enough to let 4 horses run across side by side. If your gonna widen it, at least make it slower terrain.

Is there any way I can either get me old bridge back, or modify it to act like the thick growth u sometimes see that slows troops down?

Also - thoughts on this would be nice - I really wonder if everyone thinks this was an unfortunate, unnecessary and harmful change.

Qapla!
    Skkz

[This message has been edited by BSM_Skkzarg (edited 01-06-2002).]
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

What about when you are crossing the bridge? you wont be cursing it then

Well flame,

Some ppl may indeed like the bridges now for attacking - but to me it doesnt help. I get no benefit, and lose quite a bit.

There is a tactic for taking a bridge against the AI that I personally employ without fail. Using it, the wider bridge does me NO good whatsoever.

So, for me, the change is purely bad. Again, thats why I asked for feedback - after all, some ppl like yourself may find it useful.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

good point i myself enjoy the wider bridges... just put about 4 muskets facing at the bridge and let them charge at you with 4 horses shoulder to shoulder just makes the horses fall faster plus when you are attacking it does give a you somewhat more of a chance.. besides no one plays the bridges anyhow (btw im not saying i like the muskets )

------------------
    Honour to the Naginata!
    Death to the Peasant Horde!
    So shall be peace...

-Shimazu2
    "I am what I am"

-Popeye the sailor man

I defend bridges I dont attack bridges heh unless you have very high cuality troops its suicide

The bridges were very tough to attack before so I like the change.

------------------
    "always be thinking"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Man l allways don't block on the opening of the bridge. Put your projectile in a good position out of the others projectile range mate. And leave their men to cross the bridge(if they are about the same size as you or a bit more) meanwhile you shoot the crap of the first unit it crosses the bridge aafter they cross if they are ot routed stay there unit all unit has passes giving you more time to start with other units. Gun archer combo works best here(preserve archer ammo) some poor depleted units will try to attack. Now move units on them with your units they will broke in the moment Also since your numbers will be superior you can block the bridge to your linking 2 nag in hold formation and hold ground will hold a bridge for ages. If the enemy is vastly superior then try guns and high armour units in hold formation. That will help you block the attackers unit the time limit. Use some nd and wm to block units honor that are fighting. Also if the attacker attacked from waves change your first line with fresh units.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

When was the last time I did a bridge battle.....October.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

the only problem i have with the new bridges is that if there are 3 of them on one map, which is the limit one can have on one map, one of them is ALWAYS broken. yup, broken. it will not function correctly. units cannot cross it correctly, like on the other 2. at first i thought this was something goofy i was doing in the map editor, but i've tested it with CA's original 3 bridge maps also, and it's the same story; one is always broken.

by broken, i simply mean that if you try and move a unit across this bridge, that unit will try to avoid actually moving across the bridge and will try and go around it, or at best, move a few units across in a single straight line while other men of the same unit try and go around the bridge. this breaks up a unit and scatters it helter-skelter.

as for the size of the bridges, i like them better in we/mi. much easier to attack across now, which of course means, harder to defend against too.

but this is also one area CA could improve upon vastly. one is limited to 3 bridges max on any given map. all bridges MUST run north-south. bridges cant be scaled. bridges have very strict limits about where other water is due to how they do them. there are no 'land bridges' (bridges that extend over dry ground).

the whole water and bridge thing shld be re-done. water can only exist at sea level. making water passable and impassable is a bit odd at times and you can only have one type on a map at a time.

ok, before i hijack your thread, bsm, i will just say that making bridges scalable in the editor would solve a lot of problems in this regard. in the original demo editor you could take any model and put it on the map and with the < and > keys you could increase or decrease the size of a given model. the problem was that you couldnt save independent models like this to the map. if they went back to something like that and allowed saving to maps after re-sizing, we could have larger or smaller bridges. this re-sizing would have been even better if we could have re-sized in independent dimensions, width, length, and heigth. then one could simply widen or narrow a given bridge to suit.

i keep trying to get CA to hire me as a consultant/designer but so far i think i'm more of an annoyance than anything else ;) maybe i'll have to write the perfect 3d terrain editor and lease/sell it like ID Software did. course, then i'd have to learn to actually code *shudder*.

K.

------------------
    The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

BSM_Skkzarg,

As I recall way back when, there were requests for wider bridges made by several people here at the Sword Dojo. This was way back a short time after the original release of STW. I thook the change as a response to those requests. Since the ai horde of the original game is gone now, I find the campaign battles more balanced, and the wider bridges are fine with me. If the bridges really ruin things for you, you can replace all the bridge maps with ones that have no bridges.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I agree with yuuki that the bridges are perfectly fine.. i noticed them when i first started playing WE and emidiately i liked them..... but what do i know? im a kid

------------------
    Honour to the Naginata!
    Death to the Peasant Horde!
    So shall be peace...

-Shimazu2
    "I am what I am"

-Popeye the sailor man

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

Hey guys, heres a tactic.

Instead of defending the bridge, why not let the enemy cross while you camp on a hill. Meanwhile, Hide a unit in the woods or behind a hill or something, anything on the other side of the map. Once the enemy army engages yours, march that hidden unit(s) to blick the bridge.

When the enemy routs (they will, hills are better then bridges if used right) they'll have no way to escape. I can repeatedly kill 1000+ troops this way. Its a death trap I LOVE to set up. Makes defending rivers a snap.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength."- Shang-ji Yang, essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

Well l prefer bridges to mountains because
    1. They are packed and projectile units kill a shitload of incoming enemies.
    2. They projectile are useless if you are a decent or better player.
    3. Even if some units pass their morale and number is so low they run very easily.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

When Krast was a child (long ago) he amused himsself by pulling the wings off of flies.

Now that Krast is an adult he amuses himself by lining up gargantuan battles in the SP campaign, where the AI attacks a brdige province with thousands of men, and Krast's Evil Army sits behind the bridge and kills those thousands with guns.

Now, the larger bridges make this more fun, since more of the enemy get across the bridge to die under the guns.

But even this can get boring eventually. Can Krast borrow your flies?

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Krasturak:
    Gah!

When Krast was a child (long ago) he amused himsself by pulling the wings off of flies.

Now that Krast is an adult he amuses himself by lining up gargantuan battles in the SP campaign, where the AI attacks a brdige province with thousands of men, and Krast's Evil Army sits behind the bridge and kills those thousands with guns.

Now, the larger bridges make this more fun, since more of the enemy get across the bridge to die under the guns.

But even this can get boring eventually. Can Krast borrow your flies?
    [/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO

GAH! If you need flies to entertain yourself, then just wait until your guns slay all the enemies. Flies will migrate towards their smokey hole-riddled corpses... all the flies you can pluck! GAH!

But, on a more serious note... given your propensity to indulge in craneal removals and culinary self-expression as part of your therapy, I must admit it sounds 'unlike you' to pluck the wings off of flies. Lets face it... chopping off the fly's head is more your cup of tea...

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

BSM, let's face it, if the bridges were made narrower, then assaulting a bridged province heavily guarded by missile troops (especially guns) will be near impossible.

On the other hand, if you are on the defending side, as others have pointed out, don't be afraid to let the enemy go across. "killing trap" is much more effective and can lead to a guranteed killing orgy.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.