Thread: Being Hojo on Mongol Campaing is hopeless

Theres just no way to beat the stupid mongols your I won 1 battle with more than 1000 participants and That was only because i had tons of reinforcements my first army routed so fast its not funny. Once one of your troops wavers there is no way you will win that battle jeez and i was doing it on normal!

be aggressive and destroy them. river provinces are the best, but make sure you have Xbow ashis and you can rout armies twice the size of yours. and you can grind them to dust! i build lots of troops and i played on hard (i think) and i think they only made it to the mainland once.

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu

Tried once but by the time my Daimyo got there my forces were annihilated

High honor Yari Sams helped me best. Say 70% of your army. Use forest and hills to your advantage,and don't chase when they rout.

------------------
    TeuTonic

Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

I tried holding the Bridge province (forgot the name) well I managed to rout the first army that came at me but then when the reinforcements came (They sent 3200 men I thought If i could rout them it would basically be over but...) 1/2 of them were BEHIND MY POSITION i had to fight the ones that were coming over the bridge with those damn horse archers blasting my troops from behind and I could do nothing about it when they charged It was over what came over the devs when they made reinforcements come from behind the defenders position!!??

Quote Originally posted by Flame of Udun:
    I tried holding the Bridge province (forgot the name) well I managed to rout the first army that came at me but then when the reinforcements came (They sent 3200 men I thought If i could rout them it would basically be over but...) 1/2 of them were BEHIND MY POSITION i had to fight the ones that were coming over the bridge with those damn horse archers blasting my troops from behind and I could do nothing about it when they charged It was over what came over the devs when they made reinforcements come from behind the defenders position!!??[/QUOTE]

i thought the patch fixed that problem?

------------------

• UglyPolar •
    ++ UglyPolar ++ GlassHeart ++

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Well its prolly more realistic as the reinforcements would come from a different direction. e.g prussians at waterloo.

My force was around 1600 men I lost around 250 with the first attack and My Archers (not Xbow men) were out of arrows I could have beat back another attack from the bridge but from behind? The mongols are hard enough to beat off a bridge and it is next to impossible to take out that Light Cavalry if you only have YS SA Xbow Ashi (My only Yari Cav was chasing one around when some spearmen popped up and slaughtered them)
    When I take the forest my people still panick Im just going to give up...

Flame - download the patch! What your describing can only be created with an UNPATCHED version of the game. After the patch, reinforcements are more realistic in that they appear only on the appropriate teams side of the battlefield - usually at the two corners. This prevents the unrealistic "flanking" that you have experienced. This alone makes holding the horde back MUCH easier, as they often outnumber your greatly to start. When they appear in the back of your troops as well - then its just a foregone conclusion your troops will run. Patch the game - you will be pleased.

Also note that the patch makes substantial changes to the way morale is handled. This means that your troops are not as prone to mass rout without taking some mongols with them.

Go patch - then go play - for a couple of days - then come back and tell us how u feel.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

come on don't give up. most companys do not create games where the main character can't win. (though nintendo did make a chess game that always managed to win)

------------------
    "always be thinking"
    I will be Baron of the world.

LOL! funny I got the patch killed 1632 at that bridge battle (By the end there were so many dead horses on the bridge you could only see the heads and spears of infantry Only reason why it stopped was because of the time limit ) After that they ignored that province and went after Hizen couldnt hold them there so... After those reinforcements arrived i was doomed really I dont think its possible to win (maybe u ppl have but I cant think of a way to)
    *shudder* uh... an Ashigaru *shudder*

[This message has been edited by Flame of Udun (edited 01-06-2002).]

Quote Originally posted by Rath:
    Well its prolly more realistic as the reinforcements would come from a different direction. e.g prussians at waterloo.[/QUOTE]
    ---------------------------------------------
    Wellington was'nt sure if the Prussian reinforcements were going to arrive when or where or if at all.
    Which is much different than when playing STW. When attacking a province I ussually know what armies I go in with. So there no fog of war element in the game.

------------------
    TeuTonic

Steiner...
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Steiner...

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

But Clink you can't control the direction from which your opponents army(s) will come into the province...and on which angle they will march to the battlefield...which is what i was trying to demonstrate.

I say use a few YC to kill the pesky MLC. Anyway thy the YS at high honor and invest on projectile troops. Also try hilly mountains and forsets along with bridges. If you have 2000 men at a bridge you can win a 10000 army. Don't focus on routing only the army, arange your troops in order to hold on the time limit.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.nipogames.com/default.html
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Well, like many others I beat the mongols on expert, so you should be able to as well.

I don't get into fights with them that I can't win, so I retreat then. Try to wear them down when you can and build up forces on the main Island. By the time they set foot there you should have a decent force to really halt their progress. Further buildup will then give you victory.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Good Advice Erado.

Another is also to consider not just your tactical situation - but also your stratefic one. If you can, for instance, make use of province arrangement. Its easier to concentrate your forces and hold a line if you can bottle up your opponent with 2 provinces - instead of 4. Upon the initial invasion, you can pull back and hold 2 specific provinces - which can and will keep the initial wave of mongols from moving off the westernmost isle. Now, their reinforcements will land on the northern shore - where the mori lands normally are. Expect it. Prepare for it. Have a force ready to retake and destroy the new troops, and you will, after a few landings, find that the mongols are trapped, and that you have the time needed to crush them. Once they cannot conquer new territory - their reinforcements turn into a trickle that soon stops altogether.

One key - tactically - the Mongols are beatable - but you either need numbers - concentrated in spears - or the more economical choice - upgrades. A properly upgraded yari sam will tear a MHC to ribbons with ease on level ground. Remember, at the outset your only goal is to delay the mongols long enough to build a proper infrastructure and a solid troop base - THEN you can look at taking the battle to them.

Keep trying - the campaign is winable on Expert.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Feint, Feint, Feint

Generally speaking if you attack the mongols from multiple directions at once they will guard the province they are currently in and will not move out.

So in the strategic phase send a few small units from all directions at the mongols when they land, both initially and whenever they land thereafter like in Mori.

Now the thing is you do not need to follow through with the attack!

Retreat, Retreat, Retreat.

------------------
    Never start a land war in Asia
    Never bet with a Scilian when death is on the line
    Never expect anything more then sarcasm from an Australian
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

It IS possible to win on expert (without patch, without timer) like Erado-san says. The thing to remember is:
    1. Have patience; the Horde (Koreans especially) break easily but my, do they rally fast. Don't overpursue. (Historical note: the Mongols used this tactic frequently to draw enemies out of position). Don't worry about kills, if you don't get them now you'll get them next season .
    2. Be disciplined; keep the shape of your army. When attacking move your army together, don't let units get isolated. Remember Mongol units are far more maneuverable than yours.
    3. ashi-x are your best friend. Concentrate firepower on MHC and MLC. The rest of the Mongol units are a walk in the park compared to these.
    4. When in doubt or outnumbered - camp, camp, camp.
    5. Strategically, follow Skkzarg's advice. Use province chokepoints, and build up flying columns to deal with landings as they happen. As you deal with these, move your troops eastward as the Mongol reinforcements will go progressively to the east after each defeated landing. Establish ports on the western seaboard to increase your response time.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Having trouble beating mongols?

There is only ONE thing you need to remember when it comes to cooking Mongol skewers... and that is to make the song 'This yari is made for poking / and that's just what I'll do! / And one of these days this yari's / gonna poke holes all over you! ...' your mantra.

Live this, and yee shall see the sun tomorrow...
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

member of ELITE-FORCE Member BomilkarDate's Avatar

The song doesnt stop here, it goes on:

These arrows are made to hit you/ and that's just what they'll do!/ And here and now this arrows/ will be free piercings just for you.

Vanya, you should become a songwriter, or a poet.
    When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run along the road. By passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things.